165 Impulse Build (56k) --- New FTS post #208 - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #151
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

Oh I hear ya. It's so hard getting plants up here. There is plenty of the standard varieties, but literally, anything rare has been smuggled over the border. Usually new stuff shows up in Vancouver cause the border is so close. Almost every part of my system was shipped in. Most of the hardscape is from the USA. Tom Barr for the wood, PC1 for the stone. Luckily we have ADA in Canada, but unless you are lucky enough to have a store that sells it local it's $50/bag plus shipping.

Of all the livestock in my tanks, only the Amano shrimp are from a LFS. Most of the fish are from a local guy who imports from south America and overseas. The rest is shipped from Vancouver once again.

Most of the S. repens in Calgary is grown out from a bit I got from a buddy in Vancouver. His was originally from Tom and made its way up. We do have Tropica, but as usual, there's nothing brought in that isn't standard and available though Aquaflora. Maybe a few extra species or two.

The real kicker is that 90% of people with decent plants in Canada refuse to ship. They make it seem like rocket science. I was able to talk a friend into shipping me my fissidens. It was the only supply I could find that wasn't aquatic magic... Illegally shipped in. I paid an arm and a leg with shipping, but I finally got it. Took me three years to source fissidens. That's just sad.

I'm driving to Vancouver right now. Hopefully I can find a few cool plants while I'm there. I'm debating hopping down to Seattle but I don't know how I feel about being a smuggler.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #152
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Dang, I didn't know it was so difficult in Calgary. It would have been nothing for me to throw some fissidens in a baggy with damp newspaper in an envelope. But yeah, the S. repens is almost all orginally from Tom. I attended his talk when he was here 2 years ago, but left before he handed the plants out. I had to buy mine from a guy who grew them out from one of those batches.
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #153
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

I've never met Tom. I'd certainly like to pick his brain and hear him lecture though.

Sometimes it's just a matter if finding out who has plants and hounding them. The problem is figuring out who has what. I've posted a few wtb threads on BCAquaria. It didn't get any hits.

I'm gonna poke around those stores you mentioned. Maybe Saturday I'll do the rounds and check out a few shops.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #154
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
I'm driving to Vancouver right now. Hopefully I can find a few cool plants while I'm there. I'm debating hopping down to Seattle but I don't know how I feel about being a smuggler.
haha thats awesome, aquatic plant smuggling lol. bring some buce to us canadians!

how are the blue tetras working out? i noticed you mentioned they seemed a little sensitive to the CO2? you source those locally? Aq central?
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #155
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

I got the blues from a guy named Harold. He goes by Fairdeal on BCAquaria and Alberta Aquatica. He's a hobbyist who does a lot of importing of unusual species. Rare plecos and such are his specialty but he has a lot of differen stuff. More tanks in his operation than in the average shop. His nickname is quite fitting as I don't think he makes any money. The stuff is around wholesale pricing. I thought the roselines would be a little sensitive if the O2 was low, but the blues show much earlier. I believe the co2 was pretty high, not sure about the O2. I backed off very little and they acted normal once again.

Beside that I'm really digging' them. They aren't super colorful, but they do have a very nice blue in their back half and it seems as though about half of them have red patch centered at their tail. They look very purple with the royal blue LEDs during the sunrise/ sunset and get more blue when the main cool whites are running. I'm very happy I chose them over the harlequins.

The behavior is interesting too. They are very aggressive, especially the males. They fixate on one member and chase then around the tank and don't usually jump to another individual to chase until they are done. It's a good thing I have 50 of them. I haven't seen any cross species aggression but a few of the blues are missing tail fins. Not much schooling unless they are scared, but they generally stick to large shoaling groups. More like a ball that swims round and round rather than back and forth. Apparently they don't like bright lighting but they seem to be okay with my light.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #156
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Picked up a few plants at aquarium west in Vancouver. Two were on my wish list!
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila sp. araguaia
Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #157
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

So far on my Vancouver trip...

Bacopa caroliniana
Blyxa japonica
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Juncus repens ?????
Limnophila aromatica
Ludwigia brevipes
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia repens x L. arcuata ??????
Ranunculus inundatus
Staurogyne stolonifera ???????
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Eriocaulon sp. 'Goias'
PROSERPINACA PALUSTRIS
Pogostemon erectus
Ludwigia inclinata var verticillata

The question marks are next to plants I need to positive ID. I'm just guessing.

Last edited by jcgd; 07-03-2012 at 02:46 AM..
Old 07-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #158
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Hmm... Hygro pinnatifida is one I'd like to try out sometime. Good finds!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #159
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Question Mystery Plant Oasis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
I wonder is there some magical store in West Vancouver that has all these rare plants that JCGD is talking about, and if so can you get there TBS?
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #160
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
So far on my Vancouver trip...

Bacopa caroliniana
Blyxa japonica
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Juncus repens ?????
Limnophila aromatica
Ludwigia brevipes
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia repens x L. arcuata ??????
Ranunculus inundatus
Staurogyne stolonifera ???????
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Eriocaulon sp. 'Goias'
PROSERPINACA PALUSTRIS
Pogostemon erectus
Ludwigia inclinata var verticillata

The question marks are next to plants I need to positive ID. I'm just guessing.
that is an awesome list of plants to score! looking forward to seeing these in your tank!
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #161
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
I wonder is there some magical store in West Vancouver that has all these rare plants that JCGD is talking about, and if so can you get there TBS?
I don't think it was in West Vancouver, and it definitely isn't magic as we all go there. I believe he went to Aquariums West, which carries Tropica stuff.

http://www.aquariumswest.com/
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #162
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
It was on my list of fav plants. Took two off that list this trip. The H. pinnatifida and the H. araguaia. Apparently it likes to spread horizontally and I want to use it as an accent piece, but we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
All these plants were bought in VanC. No magic or smuggling needed! Most of the stuff was from Aquariums West. A few out of the display tank Joseph (Miyabi-Aqua) has there. I also got stuff from Bien and Stuart who I met on BC Aquaria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
that is an awesome list of plants to score! looking forward to seeing these in your tank!
Thanks. Not bad for a single trip eh? I want to get a bit of a farm tank going so I can supply Canadians with some cool plants from this board. The Canadian SnS is dry, so I'm hoping to change that. None of these plants are exactly rare. I suppose uncommon in Canada, but in the USA these are all standards as far as I can tell.

Everything is just chucked into the tank wherever at the moment. I need to grow some things out to see how they look and react in my water. Vancouver water is like So.Cal water. Pretty much RO from the tap. My gh is off the charts so some plants don't like it too much. My kh is around 4.5 degrees which isn't terrible though, so I've been having pretty good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
I don't think it was in West Vancouver, and it definitely isn't magic as we all go there. I believe he went to Aquariums West, which carries Tropica stuff.

http://www.aquariumswest.com/
Yep, and you just have to hassle the right people too. I found a Buce on my trip (didn't get any) and scored a Erio. I've never seen either before so that makes me happy. I know a fellow who has about 5 species of buce and about 17 erios who will be selling in Canada. It's ironic that we will have a solid source for those and many rare and exotic shrimp, yet many common stem plants are nowhere to be found.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #163
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

I found a source for the follow list of plants. Got all excited and then found out the source isn't in Canada and shipping is a bit sketchy and not guaranteed. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Ludwigia INCLINATA VAR. VERTICILLATA 'PANTANAL'
ERIOCAULON SETACEUM
LIMNOPHILA SP. 'SULAWESI'
Tonina lotus blossom
HYGROPHILA SP. 'BOLD'
PERSICARIA SP. 'KAWAGOEANUM'
POACEAE SP. 'PURPLE BAMBOO'
LUDWIGIA SP. 'RUBIN'
MURDANNIA SP. 'RED'
Ludwigia pilosa
Staurogyne bihar
Hyptis lorentziana
Aciotis acuminifolia
Rotala sp. 'sunset'
Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #164
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Default Co2 Reactor

Feeding my co2 directly into my tank wasn't cutting it for me. I picked up a used Two Little Fishies Phosban reactor for $50. Cheaper than any whole house water filter I could find locally.

I drilled a small hole in the front of my Eheim 1250 submersible pump and fed the co2 line in there.

Then I cut two pieces of 5/8" tubing off an old python and ran it from the eheim (pushed it over the threads because the barb was too small) to the reactor so that it flows down the pipe in the reactor and up through the open area. The output then feeds to the 1262 return pump.

I flow rate is pretty slow overall, you can see micro bubbles slowly rising through the reactor. A few bubbles do burp from the bottom of the reactor (foam in the bottom too) but they get chopped by the return pump. There is also foam above the bioballs I added where the micro bubbles gather. If they ever get big enough to burp to the top they once again get sucked through the return pump. I think the flow rate is about right that Purigen would work well in the reactor, but I wont add anything until after I confirm the reactor can supply the tank with co2 as is.

This is design attempt one with parts I had lying around. All I bought was the reactor so we will see if it can keep up.

Last edited by jcgd; 07-05-2012 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: slkjsfl
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #165
daworldisblack
Planted Member

Quote:
I found a source for the follow list of plants. Got all excited and then found out the source isn't in Canada and shipping is a bit sketchy and not guaranteed. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Ludwigia INCLINATA VAR. VERTICILLATA 'PANTANAL'
ERIOCAULON SETACEUM
LIMNOPHILA SP. 'SULAWESI'
Tonina lotus blossom
HYGROPHILA SP. 'BOLD'
POACEAE SP. 'PURPLE BAMBOO'
LUDWIGIA SP. 'RUBIN'
MURDANNIA SP. 'RED'
Ludwigia pilosa
Staurogyne bihar
Hyptis lorentziana
Aciotis acuminifolia
Rotala sp. 'sunset'
Sketch! I think I know some places where you can get a few of these:

Ludwigia INCLINATA VAR. VERTICILLATA 'PANTANAL' : A guy in Ottawa has the VAR. Verticillata but not sure if its 'Pantanal'

ERIOCAULON SETACEUM: I know a guy in Ottawa who has this and may ship it. He also has Tonina Belem.

Tonina lotus blossom: I've seen this in the Toronot Aquarium circles.. GTA Aquariua forum should have some for sale. AKA Tonina fluviatilis.

LUDWIGIA SP. 'RUBIN': I know a guy in Ottawa who has this as well. Not sure if he ships but the Ottawa planted community is pretty tight. Maybe if the other guy ships, this could be included there too.

Local is the way to do for plants. Hard to get 'em in across the border in general. Can't wait to see trimmings on your end and maybe I could get my hands on some of the good stuff you have!

Last edited by daworldisblack; 07-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: additonal text
daworldisblack is offline   Reply With Quote