5.5g Fluval Chi and 29g Journals
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #1
helgi125
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

5.5g Fluval Chi and 29g Journals

First Post here, been a "viewer" for a while, what a great forum this is.

I always used to have a desk tank and now with some rearranging around the apartment i decided to move my Fluval Chi to the desk and along with doing so completely rescape it from a boring plastic decor tank to a fully planted tank with drift wood and stone.

The 2 Tanks i will be fallowing in this thread will be:

29g standard Planted tank with High LED lighting an Co2, Its inhabitants are and will be mostly Gurami's and Molly's

5.5g Fluval Chi Planted with 2x LED strips, Co2 and a planted filter. Its only inhabitant will be Ghandi the Betta King.

So to start at the beginning. A couple of weeks ago i found a thread on here about planted filters and thought this would be perfect for the chi for it literally has a "shelf" for some kind of planting. I went to my local fish store and bought a bit of Riccia moss that i definitely favor due to its super bright green color.

I spread it around and using a couple of river pebbles i had on the filter before i kinda secured it in place.

I then left it alone for 3 weeks going home for the holidays just leaving the lights on an 8 hr automated cycle.

The result was amazing and i could not believe the result.

Due to the cool, yet anyoing design of the Chi getting equal lighting is impossible with a single light so I had to buy a second clamp on strip and run them at 45 degree angle to get the correct lighting across the tank.

Having this amazing growth speed i decided I wanted to use Riccia moss as the key player in this tank, picked out a few good stones and a single "strong" piece of drift wood to help cover the heater and airline tubing.

The plants I chose were from my 29g That had gone completly rogue in the past 6 months and overgrew quite drastically so I literally just chose whatever I felt looked good and harmonized with the rest. for this one I went with 2 Anubias, like 4 clusters of Amazon swords, 1 Bacopa Pink and 1 Crinum natans if Im not mistaken or a similar plant.

(the rogue grown 29g)

So Here is the final scaping before I added the filter.

I am going with a few weeks dry start for faster growth of the moss, this is the first time I try this method so lets see how it works out.

Now that I have drained the 29g for movement I feel I want to go into a similar direction with that tank.

Updates soon.
helgi125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'm also setting up my Fluval Chi...may pursue the dry state method as well with this one.

Also, FYI, that black clip that once held your filter/light unit comes off. It'll take a little bit of work using a fine razor to separate the clip from the black silicone but it's worth the effort imo. I very much like the completely bare look (even took off the Chi sticker lol).

Good luck!
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
sophieydg
Algae Grower

Looks awesome! Can you post a photo of the 5g that shows a full front view?
sophieydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
helgi125
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophieydg View Post
Looks awesome! Can you post a photo of the 5g that shows a full front view?
As requested:

And this is the view from my chair, (how i will be seeing it every day)

I still have to hide some cables and airlines.

I am definitely on edge with the filter, its taking up ALOT of space, so I am going to head to the LFS and see if they have something a bit more fitting. the best thing would be if i could find a small HOB that i could plant into.

Also today I'm starting the scaping for the big tank, I'll add some pics tonight.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
danbayne
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi125 View Post
As requested:

And this is the view from my chair, (how i will be seeing it every day)

I still have to hide some cables and airlines.

I am definitely on edge with the filter, its taking up ALOT of space, so I am going to head to the LFS and see if they have something a bit more fitting. the best thing would be if i could find a small HOB that i could plant into.

Also today I'm starting the scaping for the big tank, I'll add some pics tonight.
I really like your tank so far, looking GREAT!
Amazon has a relatively inexpensive HOB that might be good. I have thought about this one too:
Amazon.com: AZOO Mignon Filter 60: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: AZOO Mignon Filter 60: Pet Supplies
danbayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

beautiful scape! Like how you used the riccia!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
sophieydg
Algae Grower

Thank you! It looks awesome. I hope you don't mind me using this as inspiration for my bettas tank when I redo it. Can't wait to see the 29g!
sophieydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

actually, I really like this idea. If I ever did a chi, I think I'd do something like this.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
maxwellag
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

That's super cool! I used to have a Chi, but I sold the filter/light box. I wish I still had it
maxwellag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
helgi125
Algae Grower

As cool as the filter looked by it self i eventually scrubbed it simply cause its sooo bulky and took up both swimming space and viewing space.

I was lucky and my LFS had a January sale on filters and got both a new filter for the CHI and a canister for the 29g.

I still want to experiment with the planted filter so lets see if the moss survives in this one.

So much more space!

Now, on to the 29g. As i said i wanted to go with something similar with the aquascaping so a single corner piece of drift wood against some sort of rock formation.

The first thing I did was use the old substrate for ground base, I like the river rocks for the plants have an easy time geting their roots around them and then they work as an anchor.

I also removed the black background since they always end up looking kinda sloppy and the white wall behind will make it a lot brighter.

I am a fan of bubble walls so i buried an airstone by the back wall of the aquarium so the wall will be coming up from the back right half of the tank.

The sexy drift wood I found.

Then the rock formation.

The finished hardscape, creating a little waley that i intend to have carpeted by riccia moss.

New Canister filter; Whale 120

Filter and Airpump placed in the stand.

Co2 Bubble counter. It is a bit bulky but I shall see if the plants manage to out grow it.

Im using a 20g crosman airsoft filter since they are super cheap and easy to come by wherever and the converters were quite cheap.

Planted rock formation.

Planted Drift wood.

Final aquascape, now we will see how they will take to the dry start.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #11
helgi125
Algae Grower

Default Update 21 jan

Due to a lapse in judgement when it comes to gravity and how water works in a "hill" environment, yes no water going to the plants on the top of the hills, I am petty sure i lost one or two of the taller plants.

The moss is doing good however and today is the first day I am seeing bright green sprouts.

I am kinda on edge whether or not to use the plastic wrap method or just leave it completely open top, but for now its covered.

I am working on a stocking list for the 29g and it goes something like this.

3x Gold/blue Guramis
3x Pearl Guramis.
6x Black Mollies (going to look sooo sexy against that white background now.

I might add another school or go with some Ram's it will have to depend on my Local fishstores inventory at the time, but the 6 guramis and the molly's are set in stone

I will upload some images this weekend.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Wait, wait, how are you doing co2 on your 29? You don't need that big bulky thing to count bubbles, and what are you using as a diffuser?

Also, doing a bubble wall is super counter productive with co2, if you have to have it on at all, only have it on at night when the co2 is off, otherwise you'd be gassing off all the co2 as you pour it in.

Do you have a drop checker so that you can actually know how much co2 is in your water?
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 AM   #13
helgi125
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Wait, wait, how are you doing co2 on your 29? You don't need that big bulky thing to count bubbles, and what are you using as a diffuser?

Also, doing a bubble wall is super counter productive with co2, if you have to have it on at all, only have it on at night when the co2 is off, otherwise you'd be gassing off all the co2 as you pour it in.

Do you have a drop checker so that you can actually know how much co2 is in your water?
I have one of those Fluval co2 check systems, never used it but bought specifically for this setup, the bubble wall is set to run on a timer for 1hr 30 mins only in the evening along with the blue (moonlight) setting on my lights, it actually looks pretty cool with the blue lights running.

About the bulky bubble counter, it is what i used for my lowtech system for it was not pressurized and worked quite well tbh, it just needs water movement to absorb the Co2 that being said I think it is both ugly and bulky and am currently looking for a replacement, I did buy one of these super nice glass diffusers for the Chi and would love to find something similar for the 29g, taking all pointers

Diffuser:
Amazon.com: Usongs Co2 Nano Glass Diffuser For Plant Aquarium Fish Tank: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Usongs Co2 Nano Glass Diffuser For Plant Aquarium Fish Tank: Pet Supplies
Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 AM   #14
shift
Wannabe Guru

Nicely done.. i like the layout!
And love the Filter carpet! if still had the stock filter on mine i would have totally done that!
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
helgi125
Algae Grower

Default Update 25. Jan

Relay close to flooding the Chi but i am quite afraid it the moss will all float up :/ but we will see, I'm going to give it a week more.

Also replaced my lighting for the chi with a 10" finnex LED and man what a perfect piece of equipment for this tank.

Here is the chi 5 days ago.

Then today.

Front view today.

The 29g is taking longer, This if 5 days ago.

Then today.

My poor fishes are still holding through in their little 10g temp tank. lets hope they stay civil