CO2 Injection - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-05-2002, 04:30 PM   #16
Flgatorguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy

the bubble counter used on the Hagens Natural Plant-Gro system works VERY good for DIY setups (i guess it would works as well on pressurized)......you can get them at Pet Solutions for like 10bucks plus S&H and around here all the LFS' have started carrying the systems and the bubble counters by them selves....normal price ive been seeing is 11bucks plus tax.....
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2002, 10:10 PM   #17
Sven
Planted Member

Thank you for your reply
I dont know if I can get this hagen bubble counter here close to the arctic circle Ill look around though.
I think my system is working ok, just very few small bubbles get to the surface, I have a internal filter and in one corner I put the airstone under some wool and the water pump is located over the wool, I looked at a CO2 chart and I think my CO2 levels are pretty good
Thank you all.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #18
Mad Flyfisher

I also am using a homemade CO2 injector for a 29 gallon tank and want to know if 2-2 litre bottles is too much?!

Thanks,

Darrin
Mad Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #19
Clone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'm using a 3L bottle on my 29 with no ill effects.

Sven if you can try gettin a wood diffuser instead of an airstone. I don't have any personal experience with the airstone but I have read many horror stories of airstones getting clogged. Personally I'm using the Hagen ladder. It works alright, but i still get a lot of bubbles making it to the surface. From what I read DIY CO2 produces larger bubbles. I dont know if this is true or not.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #20
Clone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Yea! Planted Member Status
Old 05-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #21
Basilisk
Planted Member

Diffuse now with my AquaClear. Even after all waterfall agitation it is still efficient. I don't like the noise of bubbles being smashed, though.

I have also used before a bent and sharpened glass tube on the end of the silicone tube. It had a tiny hole, so it mabe lots of microbubbles per second. This you could combine with any other method, but I don't thinkk with the HOB intake, because the tiny bubbles may get past the impeller without being smashed and dissolved. Haven't really compared the readings, though.

I tried before via Venturi, efficient sometimes, but the last pump would just defeat the pressure and suck up the bottle and yeast solution to 3-4 feet up.

I even once had a lillie growing on the right third of the tankd, and its leaves had covered all surface. Bubbles accumulated beneath them, making for an efficient and aesthetic dissolver.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #22
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Other things to try...

I used a double-bell system on my 5 gallon.. it was a 24 pack of AA batteries.. cut in half and one half epoxied to the other... it fills the bottom and tiny holes..(about four times the diamter of a needle...~2.5mm maybe) let through a quanitiy to the top layer... then smaller holes allow more to escape..and water to interact... I NEVER SEE BUBBLES THOUGH>>>since holes are so small.

OTHER IDEA

Get some U-Channel or V channel PVC or Vynil... (for corner trim) and glue (epoxy) to a sheet of plastic that has holes in top and bottom for those cheap window hanging suction cups... Play with the angles of the channles so that the bubbles collect and move as slow as possible...OR...glue them in place in the simlar angle as the Hagen ladder and adjust the concentration of CO2 by tilting the WHOLE setup in the tank and by using more or less channels..(DIY HAGEN LADDER)... you could "in theory" make a ladder the whole length your tank and disolve all the CO2 you produce. (something Im planning on doing for my 29 gallon...so I can hide the Co2 completly)
Old 05-16-2004, 04:44 AM   #23
jwholmes
Algae Grower

I had great results using a single 2 liter bottle on a 29g. With my 75g I used the same setup with an airstone placed under my filter intake. Tried using 2 bottles but found I could keep enough co2 in the tank with 1 when the bottle was bubbling well but I had trouble keeping it going consistently enough and ended up with too much ph fluctuation.
jwholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:58 AM   #24
edo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to edo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender963
You need some sort of reactor. You could check out the reactor I have in my tank by clicking here.
Should the little gravel cleaner be at the intake of the powerhead or the output?
edo is offline   Reply With Quote