CO2 Injection
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-21-2002, 01:00 AM   #1
Turbosquid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I finally started my own co2 injection system...it's a cheaply made one...with a 2 liter pepsi bottle and an air stone at the end. I was wondering if this was enough in a 55 gallon tank. Any suggestions would be great...

Turbosquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2002, 01:25 AM   #2
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hey Turbosquid!!! Congrats on getting it set up!

2 suggestions:

First- I would add one more bottle if I were you. I personally use 2 2 liter bottles and 1 1 gallon bottle on my 55 gallon

Second - Just running it through an air stone won't do much good for your tank. The air would escape at the top of the water into the atmosphere before it does into the water.

You need some sort of reactor. You could check out the reactor I have in my tank by clicking here.

You could also run it through a powerhead or a HOB or cannister filter if you have one.

Or if you if really don't want to do any of that you can just put a bowl in their and flip it upside down and let the air collect under there like so:

Kyle

P.S. Do you like my drawing????
Old 09-22-2002, 02:04 AM   #3
Turbosquid
Algae Grower

Hey Fender,

Yeah cool drawing..:hehe:

Well what I did was make it so the bubbles float to this fake log and they get stuck on the underside of it...till enough collect and one giant bubble shoots up...it takes like two minutes or so but I can see lots more bubble stuck down there...do you think will be sufficient for now....or should I go ahead and get a second 2 liter bottle and run it through my power filter? How would I do that? make it go up the suction tube or just put it on the back where the water is shooting out? I would eventually like to get one like you have...but till then any more suggestions would be great.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:02 AM   #4
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

That probably isn't cutting it. It sounded fine until you told me that you see one big bubble come shooting to the top. This means that the air isn't having enough time to dissolve in the water.

What kind of power filter is it?? Is it the kind inside the tank???

Kyle
Old 09-23-2002, 02:07 AM   #5
Turbosquid
Algae Grower

I have a TetraTec PF300 it's a hang on back type with the intake tube. Would that work? Oh and I still see lots of bubble stuck on the underside of the log that don't shoot up...:P
Old 09-23-2002, 02:40 AM   #6
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

Yeah that would definately work. Just run your CO2 through the intake tube of your filter and the impeller in the filter will do all the work. I had pretty good success with this method before I built my diy reactor. It was only with an emperor though.

Kyle
Old 09-23-2002, 05:47 PM   #7
freaky-lil-raver
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to freaky-lil-raver Send a message via AIM to freaky-lil-raver Send a message via Yahoo to freaky-lil-raver

I Have 1 DYI co2 tank on my 55 gallon. 2 was to much for my crypts. they began to get leaf rot. The plants are recovering now.

I use an airstone to diffuse the co2. nothing more. I also have a good amount of surface aggitaition from my wet dry filters. My plants begin to pearl everytime the lights come on.

some plants will be damaged from an excess of co2. like my crypts. Even though my fish were fine, the co2 was to high for my crypts.

just wanted to let you know.
start out with one. then go to a 2nd one if needed.

hope this helps.
Mary
freaky-lil-raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 04:10 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I haven't heard about leaf rot due to excessive CO2 levels. Do you have more information on this phenomena?

What levels of CO2 did you see in your tank?

I've only got 10ppm and I'm seeing some leaf rot on my Sagitaria. I don't see how 10ppm could be too high. Most sources recommend 25ppm for best plant growth.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:21 PM   #9
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

I also have never heard on plants rotting because of too much CO2. I am pretty sure that your fish would be giving you warnings along time before your plants show it.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:37 PM   #10
Turbosquid
Algae Grower

Well I finally got one of those paintbrush cleaner cups they sell..the little plastic ones...or like the medicine cups...and stuck it or jammed under the log and the air stone right under so that the bubbles rise and get stuck in that little cup. Right now it's very full but never goes over so I figure the it's getting dissolved in the water slowly but surely. My plants seem to be growing alot more now and I also upgraded to 80 watts instead of the 30 I had. :hehe:
Old 11-27-2002, 10:03 PM   #11
docone
Algae Grower

I have a Whisper Model 60 Power Filter. If I make a DIY CO2 injector, will the the impeller be enough to "dissolve" the CO2?
docone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:52 PM   #12
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

It will dissolve it, but its not the most efficient way to do it. You end up losing a lot of co2 with a power filter because the water gets a lot of atmospheric gas exchange as it moves through the filter and goes down the ramp. I have a whisper 30 on my 10 gal tank and it works fine for that. But on a larger tank it may waste to much precious co2 into the atmosphere. The larger the tank is the more co2 you want to conserve, because you only get so much co2 from a DIY setup, so you want to make sure to conserve as much as you can.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:28 PM   #13
docone
Algae Grower

Then what would be an alternative. Is it the one given above using the airstone and bowl?
docone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:19 PM   #14
Sven
Planted Member

so is the objective to not have any of the bubbles reach the surface, should they disappear (dissolve) totally into the water?
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:39 PM   #15
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

You are right on the money there. The best would be, no bubbles ever reach the surface of the water. If the bubbles reaching the top are tiny enough they will hang there and mix into the water from there(hopefully). There are many do it yourself difusers you can build to accomplish the mixing into the water. Fender and Buck both have good designs on this site and there are a bunch more designs at "www.TheKrib.com" . Some work better than others but they all work to some degree. You can kinda personalize a design once you understand the concept. Good luck with your tank!
:hehe:
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote