Adding CO2-Need help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-20-2002, 12:38 AM   #1
morepower16
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm going to break down and add CO2 to my 125 gal tank. I have seen the DIY system and have also seen some of the systems they sell at places like Petsmart. I don't want a system that would be alot of trouble, ie mixing chemicals, but I also don't want to go overboard on an elaborate system. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should use.
morepower16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2002, 02:01 AM   #2
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hey morepower,

I can only go on my personal experience here and on what other people have told me.

What kind of set up did you see at Petsmart???

I would definately not go the DIY route. You would have to have an unthinkable amount of jugs running (unless you had some very large ones) and it would be a very tedious task to refresh them.

I would suggest the Pressurized CO2 route. Many people have had alot of success with it on big and small tanks. I personally however have never used Pressurized CO2 so I wouldn't be the one to ask.

Check out this awesome article on how to as cheaply as possible set up a pressurized CO2 system:

Click me!

Kyle
Old 09-20-2002, 03:54 PM   #3
morepower16
Algae Grower

I was looking on line and Big Als has a setup I believe it is from Hagen that has the reactor and tablet you drop into it. It says it is good for up to 125 gal. Any comments?
Old 09-20-2002, 07:02 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I just recently(1 month ago) switched from a DIY yeast setup to pressurised co2 system on my 75 GAL tank. Like most people told me ,it was better than nothing but definitely not optimum for such a large tank.
Pressurised CO2, like the system fender pointed you towards is definitely the way to go. In the long run its much cheaper to run than the electrolysis system you're looking at and you'll surely be satisfied with the results.
Since my system has been up and running a month ago, my plants are growing like crazy and they need to be pruned at least every 2 weeks to keep the tank from looking like a jungle. It is truly amazing. If you need some more links on where to get some of this stuff fairly inexpensively let me know and I'll post them for you. Good luck.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:49 AM   #5
morepower16
Algae Grower

I would be very thankfull for any links you have. You can post them or email them directly to me at mschloegl@att.net

Thanks everyone. I've decided to go with the pressurized system. Now I just need all the components. Also, what does everyone use to get the CO2 into the tank. Powerheads or what. I have a DIY wet/dry and also a magnum 350 and would rather not put anything else in the tank in the way of equipment.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:29 AM   #6
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

Can't help you on the links however you will need pretty much everything that Chuck has in the link I gave you.

As for the reactor this is what I use.

Also check out my post in this topic on different ways to "react" the CO2.
Kyle
Old 09-21-2002, 03:47 PM   #7
morepower16
Algae Grower

Just a couple of other questions. Is a bubble counter really needed? Would I loose that much benifit putting the CO2 into the intake of my magnum 350 or should I go with a reactor.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:21 PM   #8
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

If you are going with a Pressurized system then a bubble counter is pretty necessary as it is pretty easy to overdose on CO2 without one.

You would be fine running the CO2 into your Magnum. Atleast I am pretty sure you will be. I have never had a personal experience with it before.

KYle