Cynths Second Fluval EBI Shrimp tank- preview of "master plan tank" 12/24/2011
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Cynth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Cynths Second Fluval EBI Shrimp tank- preview of "master plan tank" 12/24/2011

5/1/2011

Fluval EBI

Using the light that came with the kit
Zoo-Med 501 turtle canister filter

Currently there are only a few orange ramshorn snails in there.

I set the tank up a few weeks ago and have been waiting for the driftwood to sink.

Today I added the drift wood and half assed the plant arrangement.

So far I like how the filter is doing but I worry that its going to be a pain to change because the hoses have no shut off and you have to take the whole top off the filter to change it. It will prove interesting when the time comes.

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9

Last edited by Cynth; 12-24-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Mark1412
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That's looking good! Looking forward to seeing it with some shrimp in. Your threads prompted me to sign up as I'm after a spot of advice (hard to find) I reckon you'd be able to help with, if you'd be so kind. And also because it'd be nice to talk to someone else with the EBI when I get mine.

Firstly, idiot question probably, when it comes to conditioning water is everything you need in the kit? I've had tropical aquariums in the past (some time ago) and from what I recall they required more than the one/two bottles you appear to get with the EBI package. I have slightly hard water too so I'm a touch concerned with that.

I also read over your last thread and saw you had a bad experience with the filter, is an external filter a good idea or would a sponge filter or sponge filter + air pump deal suffice, do you think?

Thanks in advance, hope it's all going well with the shrimp
Mark1412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Cynth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1412 View Post
That's looking good! Looking forward to seeing it with some shrimp in. Your threads prompted me to sign up as I'm after a spot of advice (hard to find) I reckon you'd be able to help with, if you'd be so kind. And also because it'd be nice to talk to someone else with the EBI when I get mine.

Firstly, idiot question probably, when it comes to conditioning water is everything you need in the kit? I've had tropical aquariums in the past (some time ago) and from what I recall they required more than the one/two bottles you appear to get with the EBI package. I have slightly hard water too so I'm a touch concerned with that.

I also read over your last thread and saw you had a bad experience with the filter, is an external filter a good idea or would a sponge filter or sponge filter + air pump deal suffice, do you think?

Thanks in advance, hope it's all going well with the shrimp
Hey Mark thanks for the kind words.

The EBI comes with a tap water conditioner called Shrimp Safe to remove chlorine and what not. The bottle is small but you don't need to use much because its only an 8 gallon tank.

It also comes with a mineral supplement and this is their advertising blurb:
"Liquid freshwater aquarium conditioner adds beneficial minerals Create aquarium water conditions suitable for ornamental shrimps Mineral supplement increases GH (general hardness) of aquarium water Maintain ideal GH (general hardness) levels necessary for freshwater ornamental shrimp. Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement provides beneficial minerals to optimize aquarium conditions for shrimp. Liquid electrolyte-based solution contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium with a 3 to 1 calcium/magnesium ratio. Establish water chemistry similar to natural conditions from which many freshwater Caridina shrimps originate. Ideal for maintaining GH levels without impacting carbonate hardness levels. 4 oz bottle with a measuring cap for easy dosing in 5 ml increments"

Now the big question is what type of shrimp were you planning on keeping in your EBI? Since your tap water is hard you would need to probably use RO/ROI water to keep crystal shrimp or tiger shrimp. This is when you would probably want to use the mineral supplement that comes with the kit.

But Neocaridina types; cherry red, pearl blue, snowball, yellow etc will probably do fine in your hard water and you wouldn't really need to use the mineral supplement that comes in your kit.

The fluval stratum substrate that comes with the kit does help lower the PH. Water from my RO filter has a PH of 7.2, the water in my EBI has a PH of 6.4.

I am successfully (so far) keeping crystal shrimp in the EBI and they have produced a lot of babies since Jan. when I put them in there. When they were in my regular tap water they only produced maybe 12 babies in a year.

In my first EBI I did end up with a sponge filter on the tank but it doesn't keep the water crystal clear. So I am testing out the zoo-med canister filter to see if I want to buy a second one for my first EBI tank. I really do like super clear water. Depending on how many shrimp are in the tank a sponge filter would probably work fine. The population in my tank is close to 80-90 now and I don't feel that the sponge is enough. (It could just be "me").

The internal filter that comes with the EBI works well, but I had issues with a piece of carbon getting in it and making it rattle. I also didn't like it taking up so much room inside the tank. I found that putting panty hose (a knee high cut off worked well) over the whole bottom of the filter worked really well.

I have always used canister filters on my larger tanks so the use of one on these small tanks just feels "right" to me. I like carbon filtration even if it isn't needed.

So yes the kit does come with everything you need but water and shrimp and decor. But you should also have a test kit if you don't have one so you can test your tap water and tank water so you know how to proceed.

I hope you will make a thread about your EBI when it arrives so we can watch your progress

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
Old 05-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
TwoStrokeKing
Planted Member

Nice start! and that drift wood is sick! where did you get it?

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
TwoStrokeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Cynth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStrokeKing View Post
Nice start! and that drift wood is sick! where did you get it?

Thanks TwoStrokeKing I got the driftwood from aqua forest aquarium. I believe it was the branch wood found on this page:

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...uct&cPath=7_58

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Mark1412
Algae Grower

Wow thanks for the detailed response.

I've visited my LFS and they sell RO water so I think that's going to come in handy as my water provider states we have a PH of 8. I'm a newcomer to shrimp so I'm going to start off with Red Cherries but in the future I'd like to branch out so planning ahead and trying to get the water hardness down early seems like a good idea.

I'm with you on the whole taking up too much room in the tank - it's going to annoy me enough with a heater in there - so I think I'll keep the search up for an external one.

I've been doing a fair bit of research over the past week so I've got a test kit/heater etc lined up. It's the filter, water conditioners and light that have been my concerns but you've put two of those worries to rest so thanks once again.

Anyway I'll keep checking back to see how yours is working out and hopefully start a thread of my own in the next few weeks!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
Cynth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Wow thanks for the detailed response.

I've visited my LFS and they sell RO water so I think that's going to come in handy as my water provider states we have a PH of 8. I'm a newcomer to shrimp so I'm going to start off with Red Cherries but in the future I'd like to branch out so planning ahead and trying to get the water hardness down early seems like a good idea.

I'm with you on the whole taking up too much room in the tank - it's going to annoy me enough with a heater in there - so I think I'll keep the search up for an external one.

I've been doing a fair bit of research over the past week so I've got a test kit/heater etc lined up. It's the filter, water conditioners and light that have been my concerns but you've put two of those worries to rest so thanks once again.

Anyway I'll keep checking back to see how yours is working out and hopefully start a thread of my own in the next few weeks!
I am not using a heater in any of my small (10 and under) tanks.
My house is about 68 degrees year round. With the lights on the water heats up to close to 70 during the day and most shrimp are fine with that.

Looking forward to seeing your setup!

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very nice!!

What is the background?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
Cynth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Very nice!!

What is the background?

It is the foam "rock" background that comes with the Fluval EBI Shrimp Kit.

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

What i do when working on my zoo med is put it on top of the tank and let some of the water drain out. Then take the top off do what needs to be done and make sure the canister is full before putting the lid on and bringing it back down to the side of the tank.
swoof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
Cynth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
What i do when working on my zoo med is put it on top of the tank and let some of the water drain out. Then take the top off do what needs to be done and make sure the canister is full before putting the lid on and bringing it back down to the side of the tank.

Thanks for the tip! I will try that when I need to open it.

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Mark1412
Algae Grower

Hey Cynth do you have any tips on washing the shrimp substrate, having a tough time getting the water to go clear. I washed it gently using a colander like the instructions said but when I put water in the aquarium it went seriously black.

Left it for six hours or so with no improvement so assumed that meant it wasn't clean. Tried washing it a little more vigorously but the water is pretty much jet black every time.

Getting pretty frustrated!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Hey Cynth do you have any tips on washing the shrimp substrate. I put water in the aquarium it went seriously black.
Do you have a link to the substrate? Have never heard of shrimp substrate. Perhaps purigen in your filter would help.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
Mark1412
Algae Grower

It's just the default Fluval Stratum that comes with the EBI kit, says "substrate for shrimp aquariums" on the packet.

This anyway:

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...ref=googlebase
Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

the substrate usually takes a couple days to settle, i usually pour the water in as slow as possible. Perhaps pour it onto some newspaper or something to lessen the disturbance.
swoof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.