Metering(needle) valves selection for our CO2 pressurized system - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #76
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/98%)

Ideal valve is good, it is the cheapest in similar valves.

HOKE, Swagelok/Nupro, Parker, and other metering valves in the same performance range as Ideal valve are much higher in price.

Precision metering valves that are much better Ideal valve, will be at least double in retail. anyway, there are still metering valves we can grab, just need some luck.
Use Ideal as last resort, if you don't know what you need or can't find anything better.

The Nupro/swagelok discontinued 22 and 21 series, give it a try, no regret.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #77
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

Net some 22 series

See my A***J, but still want to take them all, not fun.

please, if you want them and see I've already marked it, pm me before it ends, I can share. So to avoid pushing up the price.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #78
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
I love the handle Hoke Milli-mite metering valve, that's the kind of detail we should see on all the needle valves, I just glanced over the thread so I missed any pricing, are they expensive?
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #79
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

depends, the millimite metering valve industrial retail price from Hoke or Hoke distributor is $100-$150 per valve, but you can always try to find a liquidated or an old stock item for much lower price.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #80
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Here is my Swagelok valve that I replace my old Clippard valve that is sitting on top of the solenoid valve just to show the different in size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0027.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	51978  

inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #81
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)

Bettatail, have you ever tried out that 1600 series hoke that you have? Interested to see how much better than the ideal valve it is.
ianiwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #82
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianiwane View Post
Bettatail, have you ever tried out that 1600 series hoke that you have? Interested to see how much better than the ideal valve it is.
If you look at the numbers, (I have not personally tried that Hoke yet) it's looks like the good 'ol Ideal valve will yield slightly more resolution for lack of a better term.

Ideal 52 series - 0.0008 to 0.019, takes 24 turns of the knob to go from minimum to maximum.
Hoke 1600 series - 0.0008 to 0.0085(I think... I'm no math wiz), takes 18 turns of the knob to go from minimum to maximum. (It's a pretty steep curve too) It will certainly work well though. (I think... the cv charts can be misleading sometimes.)
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #83
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

If you are referring to the curve chart here. I think its turned around. Meaning normally # of turns is on the x axis and the cv is normally on the y axis. It looks like 5 full turns to about .0001. The max cv is actually .00085.
http://www.pneumatech.com.pl/public/...ering_1600.pdf
http://catalog.hoke.com/viewitems/me...te-1600-series

Seems way better than the ideal.

Last edited by ianiwane; 08-24-2012 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: mistake x and y
Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #84
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianiwane View Post
If you are referring to the curve chart here. I think its turned around. Meaning normally # of turns is on the x axis and the cv is normally on the x axis. It looks like 5 full turns to about .0001. The max cv is actually .00085.
http://www.pneumatech.com.pl/public/...ering_1600.pdf
http://catalog.hoke.com/viewitems/me...te-1600-series

Seems way better than the ideal.
Ya, I wasn't sure how to read that chart. If it maxes out at 0.00085, that's just nuts.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #85
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

As 10 to the -3 power is .001, and the Hoke Cv chart has it max out at .85 Cv (times 10 to the -3 power) at 18 turns, the Cv would indeed be about 0 to .00085 (again, according to the info from Hoke). I bought one of these a while back just to play with, and have not done so yet. I'll try to do that this weekend and (try to) compare it to maybe a Swagelok S or Hoke 1300 (1d). Though differences on that scale start to be tough to catch, but I'll do my best.

Then again, I might have to order some more Gyrolok ferrule sets (Hoke just had to make their compression fittings "special") so it may take a couple weeks. Or somebody else can chime in.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #86
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

Kev, if you read this (http://www.hoke.com/pdf/79307_interchange.pdf) you will gather that even though HOKE recommends using only their ferrules, they say you can use swagelok ferrules with the gyrolok fittings.

"HOKE, while offering superior product design, is nonetheless able to guarantee functional interchangeability of the HOKE Gyrolok® and Swagelok® fittings." I've used swagelok ferrules on HOKE fittings and they work just fine.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #87
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

ian, what I understand is HOKE fittings and Swagelok fittings are interchangeable, not the ferrules.
The ferrules are different, not interchangeable by design, but you can actually use different ferrules and they hold pretty well, for low pressure non critical applications(on your own risk).
If you are going to get the angle pattern Micromite 1600 series metering valve, let me know, I will show you how to connect it to the system.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #88
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Bettatail can you share? I am thinking of using them also.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #89
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I have one shown on the left that I got from Bettatail:

I also own at least 5 Ideal 52- ones. I am personally hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.
My only nit with Hoke is that the handle is on top, while on Ideals it's on the end. I guess I just got used to the Ideal's configuration.
Both valves use 1/8" NPT connectors (Male on Hoke, Femla on Ideal), so, the brand of the fittings does not matter.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #90
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
ian, what I understand is HOKE fittings and Swagelok fittings are interchangeable, not the ferrules.
The ferrules are different, not interchangeable by design, but you can actually use different ferrules and they hold pretty well, for low pressure non critical applications(on your own risk).
If you are going to get the angle pattern Micromite 1600 series metering valve, let me know, I will show you how to connect it to the system.
I gather from that link that the ferrules are interchangeable as well.

"The result is that HOKE Incorporated is able to guarantee the functional interchangeability of Gyrolok® Tube Fittings with similar fittings of certain other manufacturers, including Swagelok®, Parker A-lok® and Parker CPI™. Specifically, whenever Gyrolok® and fittings of certain other manufacturers are interchanged by using one manufacturer’s nut and ferrule system with the other’s body, HOKE will guarantee this interchanged fitting to effect a safe, secure leak tight seal provided there is no deficiency in parts not supplied by HOKE. Properly interchanged product is covered by HOKE Incorporated’s standard warranty."

But bettatail please share how you would connect one.