co2 regulator buid
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Thumper828
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

co2 regulator buid

Getting ready to start a regulator build,..I have a question about the clippard mouse et-2-12vdc. If I use an inline do I still need a manifold? Thanks in advance. I will probably need a little help so any and all advice is appreciated.
Thumper828 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
OG_Plantmore
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

There's 2 versions. One is a manifold mount the other isn't. I believe if the model number has a M in it, you need the manifold.
OG_Plantmore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Thumper828
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_Plantmore View Post
There's 2 versions. One is a manifold mount the other isn't. I believe if the model number has a M in it, you need the manifold.
Oh..gotch ya..is there any benefit to using the manifold vs. inline?
Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Two very different small items involved and each has advantages or disadvantage depending on your view.
The Clippard without an "M" in the model number has ports (in&out?) on each side that use a very small fitting called a 10-32. If you are familiar with bolt/screw sizes, it is the same. A size 10 screw with 32 threads per inch. This size fitting is small and if it is hung on a regulater and solid piping, it is very easy to break it. Almost a given that it will be broken.
For those who want to use solid piping, there is now a somewhat new manifold and when used with the Clippard with "M" in the model number the in/out are on the base of the solenoid and the manifold has 1/8" in and out for the gas.

So you have options now. For mounting off the reg and using regular flexible tubing, the 10-32 to barb to fit your tubing can work really well as it is flexible and cheap to just hang the solenoid where you want it and things attached to flex are not a big problem for breaking. Worst case if you do break the fitting, I get a pack of ten for 79 cents each, just in case.
But for those who either have the solenoid with the "M" or want to have solid piping, the manifold mount is better. It can also be mounted off to the side on tubing by using a 1/8" to barb to fit your size tubing or solid to the reg.

Some 10-32 fittings for size. Ignore the Fabco needle valve. Different story.

Solenoid to use with the manifold. Note the stud on the bottom to screw into the manifold. The manifold has 1/8 openings front and back that are out of sight.

We now have options!!! YEAH!!!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Thumper828
Algae Grower

Gotta love options!! Thanks for the details. I can see where the the manifold would be the better option, especially mounted directly to the Regulator. I believe I will go with that. I have been looking at the different solenoids and I think the mouse would be better than the burkert 6011 due to wattage and overheating. So,...the search begins...
Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I feel the Clippard is a much better design for several reasons.
One is the power used. It costs slightly less but it also reduces the heating question to nothing. The moving parts in some solenoids have a small cyclinder to move. There is also a small spring to make it return. When heated for 6-8 hours or more heat degrades almost all lubes and and tends to take the tension out of springs. Most metals tend to expand when heated. They can wind up sticking open or closed.
The Clippard uses a totally different system for the gate. A small flap over an opening is lifted by the electromagnet. This takes very little to lift and goes back into place due to the flexible nature of the material. For those who have worked on small engines, like lawnmowers, weedeater, etc. you may have seen this in the carburators. When you think of this opening and closing every time the sparkplug fires and doing it for the years a small engine lasts, you begin to see how long a valve of this sort will last in the way we operate the solenoid. One hour of running probably cycles the flap as many times as we will in a lifetime of CO2 use?
If I were looking currently, I might check for three EVO-3M-12 offered up at $24.95. O is for super cleaned for oxygen use. Get the hint?
From there I might call a Clippard distributer and order three manifolds. Stick a 10-32 screw in the top exhaust port to seal them and then they could be a bit of a value. Paired with a few surplus 12VDC power supplies from Goodwill and you might be able to sell them for around $40 each.
The thing that kills ordering new from Clippard is the monster shipping they charge for a single item. However if a person with some interest called them and ordered six of each they might ship to the house free.
Worked for me when I needed one.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #7
Thumper828
Algae Grower

Awsome info my friend. They do have a monster shipping rate,..I found out..I may Have seen something to the effect of 2-3 EVO-3m's..I might have to retrace my steps and start again since I have a good push in the right direction...
Old 01-03-2015, 02:12 AM   #8
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

What I really want to do is push somebody into buying the three listed and pairing them up with manifolds. That would help get some others into good solenoids which is nice but the real reason is personal. If somebody else will do it, it will stop nagging on my mind???

I don't know what each distributer or Clippard has as a minimum but I found they would ship free to the house when ordering three solenoids and three manifolds. My local dealer is Wilson CO. and I had assumed that I would need to pick them up there. Instead they were happy to just charge me 5% for passing the order through and never touch the product.
However as a project, it was very well received by the forum folks looking for solenoids as I sold all in less than 3 hours.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #9
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

For anybody who is following this, I copied a couple pictures from the online Clippard catalog.
The first shows how the two type of solenoid differ in the way gas flows and how it fits on the manifold.

The second gives a better idea of the inner works and the tiny little flap that seals the gas flow. The little item they call a "spider" is all that moves so there is almost nothing to hang up or stick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.