Lilly pipe questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-25-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Donald Corbett
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lilly pipe questions

First off has anyone used this Lilly Surface Skimmer by CO2Art?

My next question which style of outflow pipe works best? It seems like there's multiple options for flow direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Brian Mc
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have been using that surface skimmer from CO2Art for a few days now and so far I like it a lot. I don't think my filter (the 17mm skimmer on a 2217 with heater & cerges) is strong enough to suck the skimmer down into the water the way I believe it is supposed to work, but with a little initial fiddling (getting just the right amount of air under the skimmer) it has worked great for almost a week now without having to mess with it. I don't have any fish in the tank yet but think the skimmer design will keep them out pretty well. I don't look forward to cleaning it.

On the outflow it depends on what you are looking for in a pipe, some direct the flow more downward, the poppy reduces strong currents, jet increases current, etc.
Brian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 01:03 AM   #3
Donald Corbett
Algae Grower

Ahh awesome. I'd be using one with my 2215 so maybe it would be just right. I was worried about cleaning as well then I saw they have a flexible pipe cleaner type thing specifically for cleaning pipes so I'll probably pick that up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
davido
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
I don't have any fish in the tank yet but think the skimmer design will keep them out pretty well. I don't look forward to cleaning it.
I've been using it for almost a year now, and it has to be cleaned regularly just like the Lily pipe. Its easy enough with the flexible brush.

I have had shrimps get sucked into the joint between the float and the base. Also saw a tetra get caught in it at a local LFS. so I wouldn't count on it being failsafe for critters. I solved that problem though by placing a small rubberband on the neck which effectively closed the gap.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.