new to co2, how many bps?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
krackerjack82
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

new to co2, how many bps?

im new to the co2 and just got my first small disposable cartage system till I can get a bigger set up. so ive been looking over this site and online trying to figure out what a good bubble rate is. I see anywhere from 1-6 bps thew 30 bpm, I had been running it at about 1 bubble every 2 sec right now. would this be a little low? I have a 60gal tank mod to heavy planted.

Last edited by krackerjack82; 01-01-2015 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: bps
krackerjack82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
Josh40996
Algae Grower

Seems a little low to me, to make a comparison with my 15 gallon cube (med planted) I am on 1 bubble per 4 seconds with 100% dissolution. Use a drop checker to find the concentration of CO2 to see if your bpm is correct, that's the only way to find out.
Josh40996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
dcutl002
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackerjack82 View Post
im new to the co2 and just got my first small disposable cartage system till I can get a bigger set up. so ive been looking over this site and online trying to figure out what a good bubble rate is. I see anywhere from 1-6 bps thew 30 bpm, I had been running it at about 1 bubble every 2 sec right now. would this be a little low? I have a 60gal tank mod to heavy planted.
Get a drop checker and ensure that you use 4dKH solution along with the Bromothymol Blue. A lot of drop checkers have instructions that recommend using aquarium water with the Bromothymol blue...do not do that. you can either make 4dKH yourself (distilled water and baking soda) or buy it already made. The 4dKH will give a more accurate CO2 reading.

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

DUECES!
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 02:44 AM   #4
jrill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Forget the drop checker. Highly inaccurate and at best use may tell what the pH used to be hours ago. Just compare your tank pH to the pH of tank water without co2. A one degree drop is a good starting point.
jrill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 03:09 AM   #5
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Forget the drop checker. Highly inaccurate and at best use may tell what the pH used to be hours ago. Just compare your tank pH to the pH of tank water without co2. A one degree drop is a good starting point.
This.

If you use a drop checker you are going to be several hours behind what the pH of the tank actually is as well. Drop checkers are attractive bits of equipment and fine for very rough checks of pH but wouldn't it be sad if your fish are dying while the drop checker is still blue?

Be very sure to adjust the CO2 a little daily and once you are over the 1 degree mark adjust it even less and only when you can be checking on the tank often. I have nearly gassed fish in 5 minutes and in 8 hours. Have a panic plan ready, that old airpump with a line on it, be able to raise your filter's return to agitate water surface or maybe make a fast water change.

Nobody can say this number of BPS or that is right as bubble sizes vary, your counting bubbles varies, your diffusion method varies, the plants in the tank, your fish population, your tank circulation is different from any other tank out there. How are your fish with 2bps? If they are fine then switch the gas up to maybe 2.5-3bps if pH change has been less than 1 full degree. And if you can be checking the tank often!!!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
krackerjack82
Planted Member

the fish have all looked ok so far and I havnt noticed any real changes in the ph. ill up the count a little and keep a close eye on things. my ph runs high with my tap water and is at like a 8. when you say a full degree do you mean it changing from say a 8 to 7?
Old 01-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Yes.

My tap water is 8, tank's pH is 7.6 before gas gets turned on and it is 6.4 or so at the lowest. I could tweak it further but I have been lazy.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
jrill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Yes.

My tap water is 8, tank's pH is 7.6 before gas gets turned on and it is 6.4 or so at the lowest. I could tweak it further but I have been lazy.
Like she said.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
jrill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Like she said.
Start with one degree drop. Then drop it until fish look uncomfortable the back off a bit. That's where you want to be.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
Absolut Talent
Planted Member

I am curious as i see it as contradicting information, but why go the ph testing route over the drop checker? Even in the co2 primer in the sticky suggests the drop checker over ph testing as that can be inaccurate.

The goal in counting bps was to get yourself established to as close to 30ppm of dissolved co2 as possible, right? So why look for answer A while testing for answer B?
Absolut Talent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #11
exv152
Wannabe Guru

The answer to the OP’s question – don’t rely on bps, drop checkers or ph tests, and rely instead on visual observation such as plants pearling and fish gasping to judge if you have not enough or too much co2. The rest are reference tools to help guide you.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
krackerjack82
Planted Member

that makes since. ill slowly keep taking it up till I see any pearling or the fish seem to be getting stressed at all then back it off and that should give me a good idea of where to be.. im just worred about gassing the fish in the process. ill also keep a eye on my ph throughout the day just to see how fast or slow it falls off
Old 01-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
jrill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackerjack82 View Post
that makes since. ill slowly keep taking it up till I see any pearling or the fish seem to be getting stressed at all then back it off and that should give me a good idea of where to be.. im just worred about gassing the fish in the process. ill also keep a eye on my ph throughout the day just to see how fast or slow it falls off
Ding ding ding. You have arrived
Old 01-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #14
krackerjack82
Planted Member

also I run 2 hob filters and have a lot of flow and aeration, should I run my co2 at night?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:09 AM   #15
Josh40996
Algae Grower

I am unsure where your CO2 is coming from, does it come from yeast or is it pressurized? If you have the ability to turn off the CO2 then yes turn it off at night, if its DIY put an airstone on a timer to run at night to drive off excess CO2.

You may find it difficult to get higher concentrations of CO2 with alot of surface agitation during the day.
Josh40996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.