My container pond's final home. Finally!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 08-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

My container pond's final home. Finally!

So after being set up for 2 years at my college apartment, me, and my pond have come home. In a surprisingly short amount of discussion, my mother-who-art-in-charge is allowing me to set up my pond, this time buried. She seems to be of the opinion that I would prefer it unburied, and it is a fun pot, but I've learned from the past that temperature swings are not fun.

The place where it is to be is not necessarily the best, but I'll take what I can get. I was expecting more of a fight in the first place, and it's a spot that needs some love. It's under a very trimmed, very tall conifer, which might not be great, behind a rosebush (not bad really, should shade it some), and right by the water meter...which could get interesting. If I need to, I think I could pile dirt around the partially buried container, but that might look dorky.

I'm hoping I can keep the pond stocked year round, but I'll make sure there's room for fish if I need to bring them in.

Pond size: ~20' x 19" (14" at base, expands upwards), 20 gallons
Planned fauna: 2 longfin leopard danios, possibly 4 more
Planned flora: water hyacinth, dwarf water lettuce, duckweed
aponogeton, golden creeping jenny, ludwigia repens, C. Balinese, whatever else I can plunder from my limited supplies

More to come and be decided later! Along with pics, I bet ya'll would like pics
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You can pile up dirt around it, but not just dirt. Build a wall around it with something nice. Natural = rock.
Formal = brick.
Somewhere in between = a 'gravity block wall' system: shaped blocks of concrete that interlock to make a wall. Some have cut outs so you could plant in the wall, but yours is so small I would not bother. Plant in the ground around the wall.

You can make the raised area a lot bigger in one direction, and keep the wall much closer to the pond on the other side. That way the whole area becomes a raised bed with a pond off to one side.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Bury the MoFo. I went from a 6g to an 18g then finally to a 28g buried tote. I plan on replacing the 28g with a 4x2x2' raised wooden pond by the end of the year.

AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

That looks great, Aguilar! Very nice
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 AM   #5
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So after much ado...Mother dearest won't let me bury the darn thing. Grr. Not even partially buried. Nope, she thinks the tub is cute. I kinda think it's an eyesore after staring at it for 2 years.

But returning to the main event! (before wandering off again)

This week I did about 20 hours of yard work to gain mother's approval for the pond. The biggest part of this was cleaning out the flowerbed the pond now resides in. 6+ months of neglect, and before then never getting the deep cleaning I needed, this was a challenge of the ages. It took me two days, about 9 hours.

Given that mother dearest is on a camping trip this weekend (she took my cat with her), I figured it'd be nice to surprise her with a mostly-finished pond (waiting to receive a solar pump). I also wanted to give the pond a nice stable resting place, so I set a couple pavers for the base, and then added some moss-covered broken pavers as stepping stones to the pond. First time doing any of that, I'm quite proud of them. Also gave me a place to deposit some of the many small plants that I had bestowed upon the deck, and were getting in the way.

For the pond itself, I know mother wants me to get mini cattails, but mine died, and I don't know where to get more. In the meantime I had a hanging planter thingy with golden creeping jenny that I'd had on the pond before, so that went on it (yes, that stuff can go fully aquatic too) and a cutting from an unidentified house plant that can root in water. I also wanted to have some water movement (hence solar pump), wanted to clean the surface of the pond, and have a water feature that broke the surface of the pond. I figured out all three.

I made what I hope will work as a surface skimmer and general filter (that bit would be better at the bottom of the pond), and will allow the otherwise weak solar filter to break the surface of the water. It's hot glued to the side of the pond. Didn't seem to be damage to the pond, but for the record, Dasani bottles melt at just about the same temp as hot glue, lol. I put some bio media in the bottom (not pictured) and will add filter floss when I get the pump to go in it.

Flora:
  • Water hyacinth
  • dwarf water lettuce
  • Golden creeping jenny
  • ???
  • duckweed
  • Crypt. Balanese
  • Java fern
  • ??? aponogeton
  • water onion
  • submerged golden creeping jenny

Planned Fauna/Fauna
  • Unexpected Ramshorn snail (henceforth known as Larry)
  • 2 longfin leopard danios
  • 2-4 longfin zebra danios
  • Possibly white clouds? Dunno

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Bury the MoFo. I went from a 6g to an 18g then finally to a 28g buried tote. I plan on replacing the 28g with a 4x2x2' raised wooden pond by the end of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNw9QqXYaM

28g container goldfish minnow pond pt 5 - YouTube
Very nice...wish I could've done something like that
Old 08-24-2014, 04:09 AM   #6
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

pics?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
pics?
lol sorry, was going to put them up yesterday, but I went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy.

Pics!

The tub, ~20 gallons

A little bit of the flowerbed. This was the initial location

The actual location after several hours of weeding.

Pavers and stepping stones set, doing a test run

The base turned out nicely. I'm rather proud of it.

Here's what I hope to be the surface skimmer. I probably got it too low to work for that, but should still mostly do what I want.

The plants in the pond (not updated, I'm too lazy to go take another one right now, lol)

Overall view from another angle, you can see a few of the tiny plants I added.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you 100% sure that holds 20g? Looks awfully small. Unfortunately, as it sits above ground, it may get way too hot for any fish if it gets any direct sun. My above ground tub sat under 4 hrs of direct sun and I lost all of my minnows within days of set up. That's why I decided to fully bury it.

btw, is there a reason why you cant bury it? I was thinking maybe Mom didn't want you to ruin her landscaped yard but it looks to be a big ol empty dirt section of the yard that can easily be returned back to normal if you decide to remove the buried tub.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Are you 100% sure that holds 20g? Looks awfully small. Unfortunately, as it sits above ground, it may get way too hot for any fish if it gets any direct sun. My above ground tub sat under 4 hrs of direct sun and I lost all of my minnows within days of set up. That's why I decided to fully bury it.

btw, is there a reason why you cant bury it? I was thinking maybe Mom didn't want you to ruin her landscaped yard but it looks to be a big ol empty dirt section of the yard that can easily be returned back to normal if you decide to remove the buried tub.
From what I calculated it's 20 gallons, but I don't have it filled to the rim, so maybe ~15 gallons (didn't fill with buckets, so couldn't really measure). And don't worry about the heat, since it's later in the summer the hottest it will be is about 85. Since I moved back it's been in the 65-75 range, so ok for coolwater fish like the danios and white clouds. Still haven't decided if I really want white clouds though.

I really really wanted to bury the ugly thing, mostly because of the temp swings. Mother dearest who owns both the house and the money thought it looked really cute and didn't want it buried. Guess who won out on that one?
Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you really want to know, get a 5g bucket and see how many gallons your tub actually holds. If you decide to get minnows, get rosy reds. From a distance, they look like little goldfish. If you click on my 2nd video above, the first few fish that swim up are actually rosy red minnows.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eh, not that important to me. I'll keep my stocking within common sense levels and go by the bio feedback I'm getting. Chances are I'll stop after 6 danios, I need to get my 2 some buddies.

I have never seen rosy reds for sale in the state of Washington. Not once, as feeders, bait, or otherwise. I don't actually mind, I personally think they're a bit bland, but they would be an option...if they were here. Danios are a bit boring too, but they've grown on me, and maybe having 2 (heck, maybe 3 if I feel like it) color varieties of the same fish could be fun. I've got my long fin leopards (zebra danios without the zebra), I can get regular zebras, long fin zebras (most likely), and snow white zebras. Oh, and glowfish, but they're expensive and kinda ugly. Choices!