changing to paintball co2. how and what?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
Goat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

changing to paintball co2. how and what?

I am using a diy co2 rite now and it just is not enough. I have a 46 gallon bow front tank and going to change over to paintball co2. I am going to get a 24oz tank from bass pro and the regulator from lowes. I plan on using a needle valve. I am new to this and not sure how to know that I have enough co2 coming out. Any help please!?!?!?!?!?!?
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
elwray
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

In order to connect the regulator to a paintball tank, you will need an adapter.

Like this:http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-CO2-Pa.../dp/B004M49QDC

This will allow you to connect the paintball tank male threaded fitting to the "CGA320" threaded fitting on the regulator (CGA320 is the standard American regulator/full size CO2 tank thread size).

A dual-gauge regulator will show you the pressure remaining in the paintball tank, and allow you to set the pressure coming out of the regulator.

You want to attach the needle valve to the output of the regulator. The regulator adjusts the pressure output, and the needle valve adjusts the flow.

What is the current setup you have with the DIY CO2? You can likely use a lot of the same tubing/etc.

You then attach the tubing to the output of the needle valve. It would be nice to have a bubble counter attached to this tubing (cheap online, or DIY) and then output in the tank either to the filter/powerhead or a diffuser.

A check valve is important to have in the line as well, to prevent water backflowing into the regulator and/or CO2 tank.

There are actually products out there that incorporate a diffuser, bubble counter, and check valve all in one.

In order to determine the amount of CO2 actually being used by your plants, you can install a drop checker. It essentially is a liquid reagent pH test that is installed inside the tank using a standard KH value for the test solution. This liquid constantly monitors the pH based on the CO2 concentrations in the tank water. Since it is using a standard KH concentration, you can calculate the CO2 concentration dissolved in the tank water.

Another piece that can make your life easier is a solenoid valve - it operates on electricity and, when paired with a timer, will allow you to set WHEN the CO2 is injected ("daylight hours") and when it is stopped ("night hours").

There are "beginner" all-in-one kits out there that include a regulator, needle valve, and solenoid all in one. Some include a bubble counter as well. They're a pretty good deal, but you could get something of higher quality by piecing together your own with high quality components. Though the regulator/valve/solenoid kits are an attractive option!
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Listen to Tom Barr talking about CO2
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/aquabot...-with-tom-barr

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

nilocg sells the kit minus the co2 tank for a dang good price. So does jaggedfury and a few other people for less shipped to you than you could do it yourself. Unless you want the sense of accomplishment for doing it yourself, theyre a good source to go with for about $35

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
DerekFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Can you post a picture of your regulator? I highly advise that you do not use just an on/off valve and a needle valve.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

i made one for about $35, but for $65 you can get a regulator and a solenoid, and a paintball adapter for just a few bucks more. I'd suggest that.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Goat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes I was going to use just a on off valve and a needle switch for regulation. Thank you all for your help I think I will try and find the kit with the true regulator now and go that route. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.