Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement

Hello,
I purchased the Fluval EBI kit and never used the Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement that came with it. I should have due to my shrimp dropping like flies. I am a simple Milliliter to Gallons type of guy. The directions on the back of the bottle are confusing. I donít under stand how much to use to bring the mineral level up on a 7.9 gallon tank. Right know the level is 0.

I use filtered RO water and liquid fertilizers. You can follow what I have done to the tank and what I use, in my post here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/planted-nano-tanks/130862-dons-ebi.html

Can someone please help me raise my mineral level up with out harming my shrimp?

Don
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Herfi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ok so this is trying to raise your dGH. Each 5ml of solution raises dGH by approx .6 Now my guess is that the cap holds 6ml of liquid(just dumped 5ml in and almost got it full). So I would say dump 6 caps in.

My math
.6dGH/5ml = .12dGH per ml
6ml per cap X 6 caps = 36ml
36ml X .12dGH per ml = 4.32dGH

Feel free to pipe in and correct me if I am wrong in any of this guys. This is assuming your dGH is at 0.
Herfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

I looked up the info on this product on Foster & Smith and it tells dosing but not PER VOLUME of water. Did this product specifially come bundled with the tank, so it's implied the dosing is for the entire tank volume??
Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
jczernia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

What kid of shrimp do you have?
Fluval dose not tell you 5ml for what volume of water, I have this stuff and this is what I used to do, add 5ml Mineral Supplement and test the water till you get the Gh you want.
jczernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

I have a call into Hagen, the parent comany to Fluval products. The rep has to call their corporate HQ in Montreal to actually get the information.

I'm awaiting a call back.

DK
Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

it is specific to the ebi, which is an 8 gallon tank.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
H2OLOVER
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

i just followed the directions on the bottle and after a couple of weeks my cardinals are berried and i see a few small ones crawling around
H2OLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Just heard back from "Nora" at Hagen in New York, who called corporate in Montreal and was told:

Use 5 ml Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement per TWENTY gallons of water to increase 0.6 units dGH (German degrees hardness).

This should mean that
  • one ml added to 4 gallons, or
  • half ml added to 2 gallons, or
  • 0.25 ml added per gallon
will increase the hardness of THAT water by 0.6 dGH
- These are given for those doing water changes, to calculate how much to add to your water-change water.

Don: Since this tank houses BTs and crystals, a good goal is middle of the road 4-5 dGH in the tank as a whole. Therefore, the best strategy is to make water change water in the correct ending concentration, and do a bunch of water changes until the tank as a whole is correct. For example,

Make 2 gallons of water change water at 4-5 dGH, which would be

half ml into 2 gallons gives 0.6 dGH. We need 4-5 dGH, which is (4.5/0.6=7.5 times this much, so 7.5 times half ml = 3.75 ml)

3.75 ml Shrimp Mineral Supplement into two gallons new RO water - this should make 4-5 dGH water in that two gallons - can someone verify this with a test kit, please - not the calculations but the actual result, as I am not 100% trusting what they quoted me - it makes no sense for them to bundle a product for an 8 gallon tank and give instructions for the product for twenty gallons..

Take the two gallons and do a drip-in water change (remove 2 gallons old tank water, then drip in the new water) ONCE A DAY for about two weeks, making a new 2 gallons of water change water with this recipe each day.

DO NOT ADD ANY FLUVAL SHRIMP MINERAL SUPPLMENT DIRECTLY TO THE TANK, BUT RATHER ONLY TO THE WATER CHANGE WATER, using this method.

Over the two weeks, the TANK water will gradually increase to the final 4-5 dGH value if you do this every day for two weeks.

Thereafter, you do a water change using 2 gallons of this same water mix, weekly or more often. Keep the tank topped off with DI water in between (mark your tank water level with a mark or piece of tape, and add DI water to this level every night if the level has dropped due to evaporation), so evaporation in such a small tank doesn't make the water concentrate over time.

This is about 25% water change in this tank, if you consider some of the 8 gallon volume is displaced by substrate, etc., - a little higher percentage than would be done in a large tank, but the slightly higher ratio also helps keep your tank water from creeping up over time. Small tanks have to be maintained slightly differently, due to the evaporation risk.

DK
Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
I looked up the info on this product on Foster & Smith and it tells dosing but not PER VOLUME of water. Did this product specifially come bundled with the tank, so it's implied the dosing is for the entire tank volume??
Hey DK,
Yes this small bottle came bundled with the EBI kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczernia View Post
What kid of shrimp do you have?
Fluval dose not tell you 5ml for what volume of water, I have this stuff and this is what I used to do, add 5ml Mineral Supplement and test the water till you get the Gh you want.

Jczernia,
I currently have CRS, RCS, and BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
I have a call into Hagen, the parent comany to Fluval products. The rep has to call their corporate HQ in Montreal to actually get the information.

I'm awaiting a call back.

DK

That is amazingÖ thanks for going above and beyond the call of duty for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OLOVER View Post
i just followed the directions on the bottle and after a couple of weeks my cardinals are berried and i see a few small ones crawling around
H2OLOVER,
Thatís great I would love to see some pics. I will probably just start adding like half of a cap full and test after each time. I will do it subtle enough so it is not a huge water shift.
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

We posted at the same time, see my post above. I just corrected the calculations.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

Well, I will be the one to say it. IF you don't use straight RO water, all this is unecessary.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #12
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
Well, I will be the one to say it. IF you don't use straight RO water, all this is unecessary.
This is true, but for a beginner shrimp keeper, if his tap water contains carbonates, this is easier to calculate. It throws carbonates out of the equation.

DK
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

well, on the west coast a lot of tap water is 0 hardness, like mine. My tap is 6.5 pH, 0 gh, 0 kh, 20ppm tds
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

I think that really depends on what part of the west coast! But, while I find these supplements to be great, they are not always necessary. I am a fan of K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid. No hard feelings for teh acronym!
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

lol, yah, I wish I could do without a mineral supplement, would be way easier to do water changes!