Ludwigia glandulosa, (peruensis) ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-20-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
ThomE
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to ThomE Send a message via Yahoo to ThomE

Ludwigia glandulosa, (peruensis) ?

When I first purchase this guy, it was absolutely gorgeous. It was purple and glossy, now its red and plain, in truth, it looks just like my Alternanthera reineckii. Any way of bring it back to purple? Does it favor a specific condition?

my tank is
nitrate - 15
po4 - 1.5
ph 6.8
kh - 4
temp - 74
3.61 wpg. for 12hrs daily.
ThomE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 01:33 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

You may want to get the nitrates a little lower, Thom. Lower nitrate levels at times seem to increase a plants red color.

Mike
Old 01-21-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have a similar problem with mine. It was purple, but now is green and red on the upper leaves, and bright red to purple on the lower leaves in only 2.5 wpg.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2005, 02:07 AM   #4
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

I've seen a some store sites (Tropica Plants) say that it turns greener if sufficient light is provided. It doesn't make sense to me because I thought higher light brought out more red. Maybe it's a typo are maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-22-2005 at 07:11 AM..
Old 01-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Mine hasn't been turning green. I had it a long time ago, but had to chunk it when I had a bad algae outbreak. When I got a new batch it was greenish on top with deep purple on the underside of the leaves...I take this is the emersed form. After 2 weeks its starting to color up again the way I had it before.

I'm getting basicallly the same color as I had before...deep purple...but with high nitrates and high phosphates (1.5-2+).

This is what it used to look like before I got rid of it, and what the new plants are looking like now. The tall ones in the background. A. reinekii is on the left for comparison.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
jart
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the info guys, I saw some today at a LFS but decided to research it first. One site listed it as difficult. I see Dawgger is having luck with it in a highly fertilized tank so even though my tank is a little over 3 wpg I might very well give it a try.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

I have just increased my lighting to 3.25 wpg and the plant has turned back into a deep red to purple. Nitrates 7.5 , Phoshpates 0.5.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Gill Man
Algae Grower

Dang, I just got an order and they are emersed tips, green on top and pink underneath, now I have to wait that much longer before I get the submersed morphology.
Gill Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have had this plant for almost 2 years (my first plant and I still have it LOL). While lowering the nitrates certainly helps, there is no substitute for light. This guy is a light hog. Do not shade it at all if you want that purple. Lower leaves that are robbed of light often fall off.

You mention 3.6wpg, but that can be relative. What type of lighting is it? I was growing mine under 3.8WPG AHSupply.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:04 AM   #10
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Yep Gill Man, just like I recieved mine. But now are looking nice. It took about 2-3 weeks for change.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Yep Gill Man, just like I recieved mine. But now are looking nice. It took about 2-3 weeks for change.
I agree on the time period...about 2-3 weeks and you'll see new leaves sprouting from the top. Keep the bottom leaves on as long as you can until they "rot" off naturally...that's what I do. I suppose to allow the plant to get as much light as possible until the new submersed leaves can photosynthesize themselves. (I'm not a physiologist, but this works for me)
Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #12
jart
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer
While lowering the nitrates certainly helps, there is no substitute for light. This guy is a light hog. Do not shade it at all if you want that purple. Lower leaves that are robbed of light often fall off.
No kidding. I let my java ferns get out of control and while I was on vacation my glandulosa disintegrated. I will try to find another specimen and pay more attention to its care. A question: does anyone find this plant easy to propogate? (I didn't).
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #13
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

No it grows too slow.
Filstar pimp #53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.