New Plants today (150 G) New Algae! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #31
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

The sword and onion may be biding their time still. There are small swords but unlikely you lucked onto one.

Make the Ludwigia into a bush, that would look nice.

Too bad about the hairgrass, that is a major worry for me too. The fish I have are fine with it but I want one more species and I don't want to chose a hairgrass grazer!

How about some fast growing pretty Hygrophilias? H. angustifolia or difformis might give you some mass and height while you work on that flat tank issue.

Or my favorite, Hydrocotyle leucocephala?
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #32
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

If I had some blyxa in front of the Ludwigia that are would look fine by hiding the underneath, the Cobomba has to go and could get replaced by one of your suggestions, I would like to try Staurogyne repens or Pogostemon helferi in the foreground, I had H. polysperma before and it was a crazy good grower to the water line and came back fast from trimming. I guess I'll have to wait, see, & save, I really like the P. helferi but they are a pricey slow grower so I would need quite a few to fill in good. There are a lot of good plants for sale in the SnS but I want to wait for fall so they don't get trashed in transit, until then it will have to be my LFS for any plants. I've been meaning to see who orders plants there because their prices and selection seems to be exactly what AP.com sells at the same price but they tend to stay away from the more exotic plants and keep only the norm, so that could pan out. BTW Kathy I scoop out 10 good DHG plants with inch long roots and 5 to 10 blades to each every morning, so it's growing really good but my old Krib males really just pull it because their bored, anyone want a pair of 5 year old Kribs, one with hole in the head????
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #33
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

The Sword is "Vesuvius" and it only gets 12 inches tall or so, it was doing well at first with lots of new growth but after the diatoms it never recovered, a hard trimming may be in the future. I wanted to add this to my journal because it really caught me off gaurd, yesterday I removed my inline Aqua UltraViolet UV Sterilizer it had quit working 5 or more years ago and I was just too lazy to get it out of there, but it happened yesterday and I let it sit in the sink for a couple of hours thinking that the inside of this thing was going to be really nasty, the lines leading to the unit were really dirty but inside the unit was spotless. I couldn't believe it, no gunk or slime just a light dust and the white pvc was stained to a light brown but it was clean, even the quartz sleeve the bulb slides into was crystal clean, I guess the 12/16 mm Eheim tubing gets slimed from the fast moving water but the UV has about a 3" housing so the water must slow down and it leaves no deposits at all inside.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #34
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I've been having one problem after another and every time I think I have it licked something else pops up. I've been having a thread algae problem so I was cranking the C02 like crazy and my drop checker never gets past a bright green so I thought my reactor would not deliver enough C02 to ever kill any fish, wrong I gassed 5 Rummynosed tetras and 2 Green Neon Tetras the other morning. So I am paying closer attention to the fish but still using the drop checker as well, plus I cut most of my Cobomba down to 4 inches or so and reduced my lighing a lot to help with the algae and lower my C02 requirements. I cut one light fixture to 7.5 hours and the other to 4 hours, this is an over all reduction of 4.5 hours and it seems to be working well, so time will tell. As I was making all these changes and doing a little clean up I noticed a single clump of BBA on my driftwood, I couldn't believe my eyes because I haven't seen any in this tank for way over 7 years, I cleaned it out right away and hopefully I won't see any more. It seemed the lighting has really helped a lot and a difference has been noticed daily, it's kinda funny because I have had way more lighting on this tank but with taller and faster growing plants, but the combo just doesn't work with the current plant selection. Anyway I got 14 more Rummynosed Tetras for a total of 25 and plan to get more in the future, I really like the effect of a large school but I want to wait for some of my old stock that is way too big to die off. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time this go around but I hope it ends soon before I just give up, it's starting to turn into work, not fun.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #35
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Well the 30" depth of that tank alone makes it much harder to work in unless you are an ex NBA center. The tank looks good so keep it up. Just do small changes and wait patiently for the results before the next change.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #36
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

The tank has settled and all is going well at this time with no algae (not much) and decent growth from the plants, some of the plants are still leggy from earlier problems but when fall comes I will renovate the problem areas. Micro eco-systems are so delicate and it seems the smallest change will upset the balance quickly, I find the higher summer temps change everything in the tank and I have learned to reduce the fertilizer amounts to help keep algae in check with less oxygen in the water at 78 to 82 degrees. I want to post my dosing amounts here to keep a record of what is working good in my tank, this was posted by plantbrain and is just a slight variation on EI dosing (which is slightly different at most forums):

EI dosing for a 50 gallon tank:
2-3x a week:
1/2 teaspoon KNO3
1/8th teaspoon of the KH2P4

I think he meant KH2P04
Add K2SO4 after water change, say 1 teaspoon

CMS+B, I'd add 1 TABLE spoon into 500mls of water, 1 teaspoon of MgSO4(Epsom salt), dose 15mls 3x a week

The only thing I'm doing different is using Barr's gH Booster instead of the recommended K2S04.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #37
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Tank photo update at 121 days after a long overdue rescape and the tank has pretty well settled after it's share of problems due to many factors like OTS and old person syndrome because I had to do a little research to get back in the game.

This will be the last photo for a while (I hear crowds cheering) with the summer heat leaving I want to start looking for some new plants and maybe a nice piece of wood. The fish load is at 0.73 ipg and there won't be too many additions in the stock department unless I can find something really cool and colorful.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #38
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks good. I had the same problem as you with my DHG (gold barbs kept pulling it out).
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #39
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, yeah my Kribs (pulcher) have been pulling it out all summer and have finally won the battle, well kinda. They are both (one now) very old and born in the tank near 3-31-2005 and now just one left, but he tugs away while giving me a dirty look, like I did something wrong to him.

From my very first set up I have 1 Krib, 1 SAE, & 3 Dwarf Chained Loaches that I would like to see go soon, but I'm too nice to snuff them, so they are grandfathered in for now. They have eaten the DHG and some Myrio Filigree I added in the back, I was going to try Pogostemon helferi but I read some place that fish love to eat that as well.

I was thinking of S. repens or just Crypt wentii as foreground, we have a plant that grows in the culvert ditch next to the road here, right now it's not submerged but the bright green/yellow (looks like S repens) really stands out while driving down the road. I first noticed it in a nieghbors lawn and thought there's no way it could be related but then I saw the ditch, the plants are big and a normally under water all year but we've had a drought this year so I must check soon. If I were that lucky it would be a mega supply and I've been meaning to get some pics up for the plant guru's.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #40
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Well I needed CO2 right before the hurrican hit so I had to go to S. Baltimore this Saturday morning, the good news is I upgraded to a 10 pound tank that should last me 100 day between fills. I stopped by my LFS on the way home and made a couple good finds, first a motherplant of Cryptocoryne wendtii v. tropica and it was beautiful but I pulled it apart and made 5 good sized plants for only $5.98. I also got 3 bunches of Bacopa caroliniana which made 24 plants in all, I cleaned them up and made a hedge in front of my Ludwigia peruensis which is very ugly near the substrate. I also took out my Echinodorus Angustifolia "Vesuvius" and removed all the rock wool, for some reason it seems to be pushing itself out of the substrate and exposing the rock wool, I was very suprised the roos had nt even grown out of the rock wool so maybe this will help the plant.

I post updated photos after the dust settles from planting.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #41
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

This is my new Crypt wendtii v. tropica, it was a single and really beautiful plant but I wanted to spread it out a little.

These are just my old C. wendtii brown but I love the leaves and a Cherry Barb bonus, try not to look at any algae or dirt.

Last edited by 150EH; 09-13-2011 at 06:14 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #42
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Beautiful Crypts
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 PM   #43
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow. Great color on those fish.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #44
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, I wanted to post a couple more, Ludwigia peruensis starting to pearl.

This was just added and looked like brown leather when I purchased it but it changed and I hope it doesn't all melt away, but it is starting to brown.

Another of the not my best photo series, but these guys are always on the move so the upper left shows the scales & tail and the top right is a good tail shot.

and just one more of my old buddie the SAE, he predates 5-30-2005

BTW the good color in the fish is NLS Thera + A and it contains garlic to keep fish healthy and colorful and a variety of Ken's Foods I got here at the SnS from bsmith
Old 09-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #45
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I added a new Eheim 2217 to this tank on August 26th and the difference in flow and water quality is amazing, the flow is really just too much with my Crinium & Apons long leaves are just laying over in the direction of the flow, and the water has become invisible, it's really clear. For years I have only had 2 Eheim 2215 canisters with 2217 impellers and I've added circulation pumps and still there has always been small bits floating about, but these filters are really old (8 years) so it may be time for the to go.

The difference beyond the clearer water is, cleaner glass, some algae problems on substrate clearing, and the same on some plants. I should just focus on growing algae because I seem to be very good at that, with many varieties growing at all times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.