New Plants today (150 G) New Algae! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Ok but it hasn't made much progress with all the set backs. I got 6 new Ludwigia peruensis aka Ludwigia glandulosa because the originals looked so bad but are making a come back, 5 Otocinclus that are working very hard to eat my diatoms and if you look at the right side filter intake just above the intake screen one Oto has cleared that patch in 24 hrs, so I'm impressed, 3 new Cherry Barbs (2 males and 1 female), 5 new Rummynosed Tetras, bring my fish load up to 0.61 inches per gallon. It seems things are starting to click so hopefully the next pics will be better as in fuller plants but it will always have flat tank desease.

Last edited by 150EH; 06-05-2011 at 06:04 PM..
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

These new Oto's are kick'n a$$ the intake is almost completely clean after 48 hrs, I can't believe how hard these little fish work, I will never own a tank without Oto's from here out, they are true Mighty Migets!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
johnny313
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/86%)

looking good! what size tank is it?
johnny313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

A 150 tall 4' w x 2' d x 2'6" tall, thanks for the incouragement. It's been just over a week since a water change and the Osmocote gel caps and it looks as if they have just kicked in and the Cabomba is 4" taller most plants have new leaves but the diatoms are still on some of the leaves, I'll post a new pic in a week or so.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

It's been 47 days and I'm finally starting to see some progress in the tank, it's been a long time since I planted a tank or dosed any ferts, so I wanted to start out with easy fast growing plant in case I had problems and I did. Now I will be able to start trimming and replanting to fill the tank with plants and it's amazing to see the water clear, suface scum clear as soon as the plants start to grow and balance out everything. This pic is just 4 days from the last pic and the Oto's have really been cleaning, look at the right side filter intake then look at the last pic.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Well the excitement is building for me as my monthly pay is about to arrive, this means I can finally get the ballasts, fans, bulbs, & tranformer required to bring my Current USA hood back to it's original glory, so the fish will need sunglasses for a short period of the day but they will also have some moon lighting to enjoy at night. It also will get me a step closer to getting the exact layout and plants I want, some of these will stay and some will be replaced by plants with higher light requirements. At some point I would like to get some rocks and do something a little different by getting rid of the flat tank syndrome and I may be able to use my current substrate for filler and have a top layer of a couple of inches of ADA AS, I could use the added nutrients and I also like the look of the AS, but all this would mean finding a place to put my fish for a couple of days or better, but this is so far into the future that it's of little concern at this point.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

The Plague is upon me and green water has shown it's ugly face, just after the plants have started to grow and I was starting to think of the fall replant to get the tank exactly as I would like it, another problem. I never had these problems on the original set up of the tank because everything was new, clean, and in proper working order. I have an 8 watt Aqua UltraViolet UV sterilizer plumbed into the right side canister exhaust but it has been burnt out for quite some time and the transformer is more than likely dead, so I'm looking at another $120 to fix it when I want to spend money in other directions. I just finished fixing my Current USA light hood with a fan, 2 ballasts, and the moonlight transformer, I still need some bulbs (2 x 96w) and 4 new 3mm led's and it's done. My wife just bought me a couple of JBJ wide flow circulation pumps with a pulse controller http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Ocean...FIPHFF-vi.html for fathers day. They are big and ugly but the tank needs flow plus they are smaller than the Korilla and yield more control and in the fall rescape I'll find a way to hide them. The whole point of the current tank setup is for me to get back in the ball game, get this setup right, and figure out a final plan to have a beautiful tank, so much has changed over the years and there's a lot to learn on new technics.

Now I have to deceide if I should fix my old UV sterilizer or remove it for more flow from my canister filter and get a Green Killing Machine from Petco for $43 and just plop it in the tank until the GW is gone, then I can just store it until it's needed again or put it on a schedule for a week out of every 6 months. I like this idea because it's cheap and it will last a long time if it's not runnnig constantly.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #23
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Bummer and it was looking so promising.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

That is what happened to me 10 years ago. I got the BGA gone and bam - green water. That time the tank needed nitrate to come out of it but since then it has been due to disturbing the tank cycle more than anything else I think. You can sit back and squint so as to not see BBA, GSA and all the rest but GW is sort of obvious.

Well thinking on the flat tank syndrome issue doesn't cost anything. Maybe you could go beach/lake/river combing and get lucky or find some long twisty sticks and put them together.
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #25
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

There's no BBA, just some old diatoms and the green water looks really bad now, even worse than that pic, way worse. I do want some driftwood but around here it's all flat and been in saltwater, I also like the Igwami (I don't know the spelling) rocks a lot. This scape is just for now while study and learn, plus there were so many things that needed to be fixed and adressed on this tank, everything was broken or burnt out and I only have a little extra cash each month for the tank. But I've seen some nice driftwood in the SnS and a ton of great plants, most of what you see is going in the fall and I will only be keeping the Crypts, some of the vals maybe, everything else is gone and I may do a dance on the dwarf hair grass.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #26
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

If you end up looking for another UV I've got a 9 watt Coralife in the SnS taht is negotiable.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #27
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Fish load
2 Acanthophthalmus kuhli - Kuhli Loach
1 Boraras Brigittae - Chili Rasbora
3 Botia sidthimunki - Dwarf Chained Loach
4 Pangio oblonga - Black Kuhli Loach
8 Paracheirodon simulans - Green Neon Tetra
1 Pelvicachromis pulcher - Kribensis (male)
4 Pelvicachromis sacrimontis - Yellow Kribensis (1 male, 3 female)
9 Puntius titteya - Cherry Barb (2 male, 1 female)
6 Otocinclus affinis - Dwarf Suckermouth Catfish
5 Otocinclus vitattus

Plant list
Amblystegiaceae sp. "Manaus"
Anubias Barteri Nana Petite
Aponogeton crispus
Bacopa caroliniana
Blyxa aubertii
Blyxa japonica
Crinum calamistratum
Cryptocoryne affinis
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae
Cryptocoryne nurii
Cryptocoryne wendtii brown
Cryptocoryne wendtii Green Gecko
Cryptocoryne wendtii v. tropica
Echinodorus Angustifolia "Vesuvius"
Fissidens fontanus
Fissidens fontanus sp. mini
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan'
Hygrophilia angustifolia
Lysimachia nummularia v. 'aurea'
Mayaca fluviatilis
Microsorum pteropus "narrow"
Nesaea pedicellata 'golden'
Notocyphus lutescens
Rotala macrandra 'Japan red'
Rotala sp. colorata
Rotala Wallichii
Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho'
Vallisneria asiatica var. biwaensis
Vallisneria nana
Vesicularia dubyana

After a computer crash recently this is a good place to keep some back up info!

Last edited by 150EH; 09-20-2012 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: update stock or plants
Old 07-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #28
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

78 days in and I'm still fighting but it seems to be getting easier and the key to that was the circulation pumps. Yesterday I tried to back wash one canister filter and made a mess by only letting it flush for a gallon or so and I clouded the tank and all the dust settled on the plant leaves. I should have done a water change while back flushing to keep this from happening, live and learn. I do have a small GDA and Thread algae problem that I'm working on but my biggest problem is I hate this plant selection and a replant is coming this fall, but the plants are doing better dispite their leggy appearance from earlier mistakes.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You could try trimming your stems and get them to branch out and get more bushy. Plant the trims right next to the original plants too.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #30
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

The Cobomba is really thick but browned and has yet to recover from the low lighting periods of the above greew water problem, plus I don't like their thin see through nature, the Ludwigia is bare at the bottom from an earlier diatom outbreak that made the bottom leaves fall off but I did pick up 5 more at my LFS but they didn't make it for some reason, the originals are putting out roots that may lead to new plants so I'm just waiting on that, the vals and crypts are fine but I don't like the low hieght of these vals, the DHG is getting pulled out by the Kribs and SAE so that's losing ground on a daily basis, and the sword and onion have never taken off, so go figure. I'm just going to let this grow for now but I might hack the Cobomba down to get new green growth.