New Plants today (150 G) New Algae!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

New Plants today (150 G) New Algae!

I'm 51 but feel like I'm 10, I was so excited to get my plants today (aquariumplants dot com) and get them in the tank, but now I'm exhausted. I got 5 orders of Cabomba Green and threw out 3 (I forgot there are 5 plants to an order of stem plants), 1 Crinum Calimistratum and they sent an extra that I couldn't use, 1 3 x 5" mat of Eleocharis parvulus I cut into 15 pieces and planted in the foreground, 5 Ludwigia glandulosa and I had to throw out 4, 1 Echinodorus Angustifolia 'Vesuvius' that is really bright green and twistier than anything I've ever seen, and 20 Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis
that I planted on the right side of my tank to create a tall area that will extend 24 inches or so to the water line and they will also shade some Crypts (11) that I already had in the front corner of the tank. The only other plant I had was a Aponogeton crispus in the center of the tank.

I shipped everything 2nd day air because it is cool here in Maryland, but the package was very cold when it arrived from SD. Everything was wrapped very nicely in it's own baggy for each variety of plant, all the plants are very good looking in color, they all had good root structures (except stems), and nothing had any algae at all. My order was $89 but it could have been $70 if I had not over ordered, 2nd air was $21.24 and the only plant that showed any stress was the Crinum Calimistratum, but after an hour in the tank it has seemed to perk up almost to normal. But over all the price was ok, the packing and plants are great, and I would buy from them again anytime. I will also have to say they have come a long way from the last time I ordered (2005) and the whole deal was very proffesional.

I now await Fed Ex for new CF bulbs and misc supplies, gla just sent me a shipping conformation and I will get my ferts early next week, and tomorro I will win my bid on an digital scale on eBay, I'm like a kid in a candy store. If all goes well I will post some pics after all the plant debris settles and the water clears up, if it doesn't go well this is goodbye and I'll never be back.

Current Setup
150EH (extra high) Marineland tank 48x24x30

2 Ehiem 2217 Classic Canister Filters
2 x Hydor 300 watt in line heaters

10# CO2 tank
Parker IR6000 Series dual stage regulator with a Ideal V52-1-12 needle valve and Burkert 6011 solenoid
Carbon Doser EXT5000 External Reactor

Current USA Orbit 4x96 watt CFL fixture
Coralife 4x65 watt CFL fixture

Bulk Reef Supply 6 stage deluxe RO/DI unit w/booster pump and 55 gallon holding tank
Plumbed to drain into the from lawn and deliver RO/DI water to the tank with the turn of a couple of valves

In waiting
Aqua Ultraviolet 15 watt UV strilizer w/wiper awaiting repairs

Last edited by 150EH; 06-01-2012 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: equipment update
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Well it's been 5 days and everything is going well, I have added 2 new female Yellow Kribensis Pelvicachromis sacrimontis and between these and 3 Chained Loaches Botia sidthimunki I have to replant something almost every 8 hours, they also seem to like eating the Dwarf Hairgrass Eleocharis parvulus so I hope it will out grow their eating habits.

I replaced 4 x 65 watt 6,7k compact fluorecent bulbs and now the tank is bright enough to get by until more cash arrives. I also received all my ferts from http://www.greenleafaquariums.com and until I get the rest of my light bulbs and CO2 reactor I will be dosing the PPS Pro system because I don't want to over do it. I also received my new scale via eBay, it's a "DigiWeigh 100 Chrome" and weighs up to a 100 grams and is accurate to 0.01 grams and the price totaled $24.38 and it arrived in only 3 days. I have mixed up a bottle of PPS Pro mix and a bottle Plantex CSM+B and will let them disolve over night and dose in the morning.

I am posting this under the plant section because it mostly revolves around the plants and may be of some help to a newbie or myself, although this tank has been around a while some of the technics have changed and I have never tried these dosing technics and can't wait to see the out come.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
night9eyes
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Sounds nice. Pictures please.

EHEIM #460-- Eheim Pro II 2026
night9eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:32 AM   #4
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (229/100%)

love to see pics.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I really wanted the tank to further along before I posted any photos, comming from almost two years of neglect there are still some problem areas that need to be addressed, but here it goes.

I have done the major part of the cleaning but I still need to get into the corners and scrub out the algae, the Crypts in the front right also have an algae problem that is starting to clear but if it doesn't happen I will remove them and clean by hand (these are leftovers and 5 years old), and this may be the best solution because the substrate under them looks kinda gross. I have to get 4 more new light bulbs, redo the intake and exhaust tubes that will include an external reactor and inline Hydor heaters so the tube style heaters are comming out. I am also going to make the exhaust and intake for the filters vertical in the tank and I am currently searching for some black 1/2" tubing. My filters are Eheim 2215's and both sides will have inline heater, in addition the left side will have a inline CO2 reactor and the right has a UV sterilizer, so I am going to overdrive the filters will impellers from the 2217. I also may use some other plants, for the time being I got what I thought would survive the lighting w/o CO2. plus even with big water changes the tank had a build up of nitrates and the ph was a bit high, although I have vacuumed almost all of the substrate, cleaned both filters, and scrubed out most of the algae, the tank needs some more maintenance to have the water quality needed and at the moment I am kitless as in test kit.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (229/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
.. I will be dosing the PPS Pro system because I don't want to over do it.
I got algae in my tank using PPS pro. I shifted back to EI dosing and they are in control.

Way to go 150EH!
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
I got algae in my tank using PPS pro. I shifted back to EI dosing and they are in control.

Way to go 150EH!
That sounds like good advise, I've got an slow outbreak of brown algea and the plants are just doing ok. This shot is 19 days after planting and everything has new growth but has really just got started after a set back that required new impellers for my filters with one side almost comming to a stop I started to get a bacterial scum on the water, so I added a carbon pad thinking it would help but it may have just delayed things and helped with the algea. I'm going to start over dosing a little and see what happens, just till I build a little nitrates, but I don't have a full bottle or reactor yet so I'm taking it slow. My biggest mistake was not over planting from the start.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

The vals and dhg both have a lot of new runners, roots, and new growth but the original leaves have browned and melted, but things should take off here soon.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
riverbrewer
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Suggestion... if you would like to see your DHG to spread faster and fill in better, you should yank it out of your tank and separate the small bunches that you currently have planted into much smaller bunches, and replant. In my experience, this planting technique really helped me get my DHG to spread faster and fill in a lot thicker.
riverbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I can't my Kribs pull on it and eat it, so it was hard to keep just having to out pace their appetites, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

The Diatoms seem to be getting worse and I think it's from silicates in my water but I'm not sure, this tank has always had a small diatom problem that seems to lighten if plants are growing fast. So I am continuing to dose the PPS Pro amounts but on an EI schedule and I can't dose EI amounts because I'm holding off on any water changes thinking this is my problem. Someone else posted that diatoms are from silicates period and the water changes are the culprit, but like all algea I think we have the spores floating waiting for good conditions for them to bloom. I have read poor lighting, poor circulation, and water changes that spike the CO2 in a low tech tank can cause problems by the plants having to readjust from high to low CO2 levels and WC's should be every other month to quarterly on a low tech tank. I also noticed that the problem occured after all of the nitrates were used up from the new plants starting to take off (and a carbon pad I added for a week while one filter was down), so I have stepped up my dosing schedule a little to have a small reserve of nitrates in the water and it seem the diatom are getting worse, but I have read everywhere that this can not be the problem so I guess I'll continue at this rate for now. Thanks for your help and I'm sorry I so dang impatient.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I got 2 new 96 watt compact flourecent 5,500 bulbs installed in my Current USA Orbit light hood today and my CO2 tank is full as I await a Carbon Doser EX5000 CO2 reactor to come UPS tommorro. As for now I have 3.01 wpg with a 1.73 wpg fixture on for 11 hrs and a 1.28 wpg fixture on for 5 hrs for a total of 25.43 wpg per day, just a little over the 24 wpgpd recommended by the PPS site. The plants have perked up and are pearling away with the new light, although the tank did look better slightly after I returned from a weeks vacation at Myrtle Beach, more time is needed for the diatoms to clear, I hoping rapid growth will help. I also ordered 10 Oto's from Petco of all places to help with the diatoms as it is their favorite algea and they will be in next week. After I make some progress I will post a new pic with the hope of good results.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

After only three days the new lighting is paying off, plants growing and pearling like crazy, diatoms are reducing in strenth and coverage, everything is sprouting new leaves. Unfortunately some of the plants have lost many lower leaves from the diatoms and I have not done a water change in a couple of weeks or so and some litter is building in the low flow areas. I added a 28 inch bubble wand on the back glass at the very bottom and this has helped with the surface film and water clairity, it bubbles from 11 pm to 4 am to get flow and O2 in the water, I think the film is from removing my glass covers and may be smoke and kitchen grease but more light is available without them. I still await my reactor via UPS but it should come today, a day late. I have everything ready for CO2 and built my first DIY bubble counter out of a 10 oz. Pepsi bottle today, but the CO2 will run 24/7 until I can afford a new regulator setup. I'm still going to hold off on a new pic until I get a little more progress with my plant growth, I need to hide that big ole green bubble wand.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

My new lights, reactor, and bubble wand have made some difference but progress has been slow due to diatoms and a small outbreak of thread algea due to my regular dosing while not being able to do any water changes. I did a 50% water change Monday and so far all is good with the diatoms and the thread algea seems to be slowing, I deceided to make up some Osmocote gel caps size 00 to put in the substrate because if my tap water has silicates I can not afford or want to play with a RO/DI unit, so this seemed the way to go for now and I will only dose the water column weekly with the PPS Pro system dosing and do monthly water changes. Nothing has really happened with plant growth so I continue to wait in posting a new pic, maybe next week.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
johnny313
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/86%)

lets see some pics!
johnny313 is offline   Reply With Quote