Mudskipper paludarium - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #151
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 752
Default

Frigging amazing!!!! I am about ready to try building a background like that. I would be willing to tear my tank down again if it came out even half as nice as yours.
__________________
~30 Rummy-nose Tetras, ~30 Balloon Lamp-eye Tetras, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, 4 German Blue Rams, 1 Rainbow Shark ~15 Amano Shrimp, 8 Roseline Sharks, 3 Clown Loaches, 2 SAEs
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #152
HX67
Planted Member
 
HX67's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fi, EU
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusplantedtanklover View Post
Amazing tank, keep your hardworks.
Thank you!
Warming up the hands for the next habitat as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Frigging amazing!!!! I am about ready to try building a background like that. I would be willing to tear my tank down again if it came out even half as nice as yours.
We're talking about the awesome 210 you've got decanting?
I urge you to go for it! No satisfaction like DIY.
__________________
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #153
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

This is soooo awesome. I'd kill to make a tank like yours. I am a college student with no space.

Don't fret. I'll certainly be making a similar tank someday. But yours probably will always dwarf it.

What do your skippers spend the majority of their time doing? Do you keep nerites in your setup?


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #154
HX67
Planted Member
 
HX67's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fi, EU
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
This is soooo awesome. I'd kill to make a tank like yours. I am a college student with no space.

Don't fret. I'll certainly be making a similar tank someday. But yours probably will always dwarf it.

What do your skippers spend the majority of their time doing? Do you keep nerites in your setup?


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
No killing needed, but please do go ahead!

I think the basic layout/construction would be great for not only mudskippers, but many species of amphibians too. Many frogs would love it, not to mention salamanders and newts.
Also, semi-amphibious crabs like hermits, Sesarmas, fiddlers and the larger species like Cardisomas would propably use the space effectively?

Got tennish snails I have imagined to be Neritina Turrita in there



They lay eggs frequently, but they do not reproduce...
__________________
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #155
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX67 View Post
No killing needed, but please do go ahead!

I think the basic layout/construction would be great for not only mudskippers, but many species of amphibians too. Many frogs would love it, not to mention salamanders and newts.
Also, semi-amphibious crabs like hermits, Sesarmas, fiddlers and the larger species like Cardisomas would propably use the space effectively?

Got tennish snails I have imagined to be Neritina Turrita in there



They lay eggs frequently, but they do not reproduce...
That should be wrong.. Zebra nerites, which those are, should reproduce perfectly in brackish. Unless they need more than 1.003. Not sure.

I'd be worried about the hermits drowning, otherwise trust me I'd make it a frog and hermit paradise! Hehe


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #156
HX67
Planted Member
 
HX67's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fi, EU
Posts: 201
Default

I have let the smart people tell me that Nerites reproduce by pelagic offspring being carried to saltier water by current after hatching from the eggs.
I do have hard time figuring out how the adults migrate back to fresh/slightly brackish water after they mature, but I take it as it's stated...

A lot of eggs has been laid in this tank, and I have yet to spot a baby Nerite in there...
Go figure!

You might be right about the hermits. At least some species seem to be mostly terrestrial and not that good with even shallow pools. Fair statement there.
__________________
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."

Last edited by HX67; 11-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Defining further
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #157
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX67 View Post
We're talking about the awesome 210 you've got decanting?
I urge you to go for it! No satisfaction like DIY.

I will be running the idea past the wife tonight. Won't be tearing it all down to build, so measuring around my tank equipment will be the tricky part. Thinking I will have to do the large sheet(s) in back to mark and cut out where the equipment is, then I can build outside the tank from there.
__________________
~30 Rummy-nose Tetras, ~30 Balloon Lamp-eye Tetras, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, 4 German Blue Rams, 1 Rainbow Shark ~15 Amano Shrimp, 8 Roseline Sharks, 3 Clown Loaches, 2 SAEs
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #158
HX67
Planted Member
 
HX67's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fi, EU
Posts: 201
Default

Will be a bit tricky.
Measurements, making it sink => no need for fixing the backgroud, curing issues with an established tank...

Doable, but a bit tricky.
Good luck with the wife. Everything else tends to be easy...
__________________
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #159
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX67 View Post
Will be a bit tricky.
Measurements, making it sink => no need for fixing the backgroud, curing issues with an established tank...

Doable, but a bit tricky.
Good luck with the wife. Everything else tends to be easy...
She let me get this size of a tank...plus took her shopping at the Coach Outlet yesterday for Christmas (1 large, 2 medium, 1 tiny purse & 2 wallets and 1 mini wallet). I think she OWES me...BIG TIME!!! lol

I have researched some DIY stuff and people have used the magfloats to secure backgrounds. You put one (or more depending) into the background as you make it, so it would be against the glass. Then when you put it in the tank, put the other side on the outside. Not only does it hold it in place, but not permanent, you can remove later for whatever reason.

Curing issues? What exactly? I do not have a problem with letting something cure for however long outside the tank, storage isn't a problem. Plus I have heard there are things you can apply over cement that seal it completely.
__________________
~30 Rummy-nose Tetras, ~30 Balloon Lamp-eye Tetras, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, 4 German Blue Rams, 1 Rainbow Shark ~15 Amano Shrimp, 8 Roseline Sharks, 3 Clown Loaches, 2 SAEs
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #160
HX67
Planted Member
 
HX67's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fi, EU
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
She let me get this size of a tank...plus took her shopping at the Coach Outlet yesterday for Christmas (1 large, 2 medium, 1 tiny purse & 2 wallets and 1 mini wallet). I think she OWES me...BIG TIME!!! lol

I have researched some DIY stuff and people have used the magfloats to secure backgrounds. You put one (or more depending) into the background as you make it, so it would be against the glass. Then when you put it in the tank, put the other side on the outside. Not only does it hold it in place, but not permanent, you can remove later for whatever reason.

Curing issues? What exactly? I do not have a problem with letting something cure for however long outside the tank, storage isn't a problem. Plus I have heard there are things you can apply over cement that seal it completely.
What a great play, there!

"True dat" on every case you make about the background. Lotsa alternative solutions to constructing it out there.
I just look at everything through the oldschool goggles.
__________________
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #161
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 752
Default

What are the curing issues? Is it just time, or should I actually look into the sealant stuff?
__________________
~30 Rummy-nose Tetras, ~30 Balloon Lamp-eye Tetras, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, 4 German Blue Rams, 1 Rainbow Shark ~15 Amano Shrimp, 8 Roseline Sharks, 3 Clown Loaches, 2 SAEs
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #162
HX67
Planted Member
 
HX67's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fi, EU
Posts: 201
Default

Going with cement-based stuff, as I do, the standard curing:
-a month or so to cure the cement
-some leeching of water hardening lime and stuff after that

It can be reduced substantially by sealing with copolymer additives or even stopped alltogether by using resins like epoxy.

I used to do epoxy resin on every piece I made, but hated the look of it. Nowadays I like time better than extra chemicals/seals.

But it all depends on the method & materials you choose. A lot of people make great backgrounds with no cement whatsoever, and seem to need no curing at all.
__________________
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #163
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx67 View Post
going with cement-based stuff, as i do, the standard curing:
-a month or so to cure the cement
-some leeching of water hardening lime and stuff after that

it can be reduced substantially by sealing with copolymer additives or even stopped alltogether by using resins like epoxy.

I used to do epoxy resin on every piece i made, but hated the look of it. Nowadays i like time better than extra chemicals/seals.

But it all depends on the method & materials you choose. A lot of people make great backgrounds with no cement whatsoever, and seem to need no curing at all.
thx!
__________________
~30 Rummy-nose Tetras, ~30 Balloon Lamp-eye Tetras, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, 4 German Blue Rams, 1 Rainbow Shark ~15 Amano Shrimp, 8 Roseline Sharks, 3 Clown Loaches, 2 SAEs
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #164
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
StraightAddicted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dothan, AL
Posts: 356
Default

One of the best tanks that I have seen. Its paradise for any mudskipper. Great to see everything come along over time. I like when you trimmed up the plant into several smaller ones. Gave it a more open feel to the tank, but im sure others would disagree with me. Keep it up and goodluck down the road.
__________________
The worst defeat in the world, is when you give up.
StraightAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #165
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
LyzzaRyzz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 465
Default

Absolutely wonderful! Keep updating! I think I'm addicted!! Lol
__________________
50g, 45g, 15g, 10g, 2x2.5g, 2g bowl

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012