60 Gallon "Placerita"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
chrispena33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

60 Gallon "Placerita"

Trying to give it a go on my largest tank I've ever had and my first planted one. I'm calling it "Placerita" because thats the canyon trails I collected the rocks and wood from for my hardscape. On to the details...

Equipment:
-60 Gallon tank
-Eheim 2215
-80 lb. Eco-Complete (fine grade)
-36" Current USA Satellite+

Flora:
-DHG Belem
-More TBD

Fauna:
-TBD

I'm starting the DHG with using the Dry Start Method. At the time of the first few pictures I'm on day 6 of the DSM. I still haven't decided what other plants to throw in here once I flood it. I was thinking of maybe using some Blyxa. Not sure of what else.

I'm still probably at least a month away from adding any fish. I want to keep it simple so I was thinking of some Tetra's, Red Cherry Shrimp, and a few Angels.

I'm open to comments and suggestions if you have any. I hope you guys can enjoy the progress as much as I (hopefully) will!
chrispena33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Wolf19
Planted Member

I'm by no means an expert on DSM - but I'm fairly confident in say that there is too much water being used in your tank for a DSM. The substrate should be saturated with water but not to the point of pooling. I would siphon the remaining water out (or use a spare towel to absorb the water). Afterwards you would mist the tank to maintain saturation.

Play around with the scape and show us some other options while you're in DSM - helps make the 'DSM time' pass.
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf19 View Post
I'm by no means an expert on DSM - but I'm fairly confident in say that there is too much water being used in your tank for a DSM. The substrate should be saturated with water but not to the point of pooling. I would siphon the remaining water out (or use a spare towel to absorb the water). Afterwards you would mist the tank to maintain saturation.
Yup, water level is a big too high. Water only needs to be about 1/4 inch under the level of the substrate so you don't even want to see water on top. However, DHG is not nearly as picky about water level than something like HC so if it's too high, it doesn't suffer much. On the flip side, it also has much deeper roots and will do better with less water than HC. You can almost grow DHG as a terrestrial plant once it has adapted.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yeaaah GKG!
Lol, Nice tank.
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
chrispena33
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf19 View Post

Play around with the scape and show us some other options while you're in DSM - helps make the 'DSM time' pass.
The only other option I have for the hardscape is this other smaller rock in place of the giant one on the right. I kind of like that its more open over there now. I can probably add some tall stems over in that corner behind the rock to add some height.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Yup, water level is a big too high. Water only needs to be about 1/4 inch under the level of the substrate so you don't even want to see water on top. However, DHG is not nearly as picky about water level than something like HC so if it's too high, it doesn't suffer much. On the flip side, it also has much deeper roots and will do better with less water than HC. You can almost grow DHG as a terrestrial plant once it has adapted.
I took out as much water as I could with a towel. The level is now below the substrate. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Yeaaah GKG!
Lol, Nice tank.
Thanks! GKG!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
chrispena33
Algae Grower

Guys...yesterday was a great day. First of all, when I went to go mist my DHG I started noticing a few runners!! This was really exciting because I was starting to lose hope. I knew that DHG was slow to get going, but I was sure that I would have seen something by now. I thought I had done something wrong. Anyways, super stoked to see growth!

Secondly, I found out that my buddy on my hockey team used to manage a few aquarium shops back in the day and still has his aquarium wholesalers license! Now I can pretty much get anything I want at wholesale prices. He doesn't know it, but my wife hates him now...

I'll post some pictures when the growth hopefully gets more noticeable.