5g hex NPT office tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
jixie007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

5g hex NPT office tank

I've had this 5 gallon hex NTP in my office since 2012. It fell into a state of disrepair and algae took over. Tore it down and rebuilt it better, faster, stronger.

Old tank:

The dark stuff on the bottom is pretty much a massive network of dracaena (lucky bamboo) and pothos roots. You can't see it, but hanging over the other side is like 10' of pothos vines.

Reset tank planted:

Reset tank has a substrate of backyard soil capped with gravel.

Plants are: some kind of spotted sword, some kind of ludwiga (I think), some other kind of ludwiga (ludwiga repens?), anubias, anubias nana, banana plant, anacharis.

There's more anacharis and two marimo balls in with my betta Nautica that will move in with her. Plus some bacopa that's in a nerite snail "spa" for bba.

I planted and set it up on 7/7/15:

("Front")

("Back")

The cloudy water settled a lot over the first couple days, but still kind of hazy by Friday. I was worried about colloidal clay, and tried a dose of Seachem's Clarify (our tap is liquid rock so I'm ok if it softens the water a little). It worked like a charm.

Tank on 7/10/15:

Also, I've built two hang-on baskets to plant the pothos in and reign in those roots, plus plant some dragon tongue (Hemigrphis repanda).
jixie007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 AM   #2
jixie007
Algae Grower

Pics from 7/16:

"Front"

"Back"

Overhead

Bonus shot of Nautica's 1 gal, forgot to post last week:

Updates:
7/14 added three male snakeskin Endlers Livebearers, two nerite snails, and "riparium" planters. I made some hanging planters out of shower caddies. Got J-Hook pipe hangers, cut them down, superglued them on. All ideas from these forums, thanks guys! The substrate is my own radical idea: floral water beads, which I'll be posting about separately.

I planted the old pothos vines, which look really pitiful after being in a tub outside. Hopefully they'll rebound. Also planted some Dragon's Tongue (Hemigraphis Repanda). The plant I initially used is about a year old and really wilted after being unpotted, so on 7/16 I pulled that and tried with young plantlets, which are doing GREAT.

So what I've figured out about riparium plants is: 1) it's much, much easier to remove damp soil from a potted plant than dry soil, and 2) plantlets handle the switch better than older plants do.

The new tank algae "hazing" is bba. Fortunately there's not a lot and the snails are doing a good job keeping on top of it. I take back everything I ever said about nerites. (They were less than effective in my previous tank, over run with green spot and bga.)

One of the Endlers seemed a little off from the get go, wouldn't hang out with the other two. He died after one day, and was replaced with a regular (wild type) Endler, who is doing great. They are ALSO eating the bba which is pretty awesome.

Most of the plants are growing, albeit slowly. The anacharis is growing quickly. The bacopa is melting it's old leaves but has lots of little baby leaves, so it's a wash I guess? The banana plant dropped a couple leaves the first week but seems to have settled down. The large anubias was doing poorly before the rebuild, some of the larger / older leaves had yellow edges, the yellow parts have melted but the plant overall looks better. No new yellowing.

Plans are: add a couple amano skrimps, trim the anubias and replant trimmings, add more riparium plants, add some floating plants, and next week (probably) move betta in along with additional anubias and marimo balls.
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #3
jixie007
Algae Grower

Pics as of 7/22:

"Front"

"Back"

Overhead

On 7/22, added trio of Amano shrimp. One looked poor from the start (had no food in his gut) and died that night. I decided not to replace. The other two are doing great. Watching them eat, I finally understand why shrimp tanks are so popular.

The nerite snails have been temporarily banished to the 1 gal snail spa, on account of their mollusc hanky panky. I don't want nerite eggs everywhere but I feel bad breaking up snail Romeo and Juliet. Ultimately I plan to trade in the lady zebra (boo is a tracked nerite so I know which one's which, haha).

On 7/29, rearranged some of the plants, added more anacharis, added two more anubias nana petite, and moved female betta in. I still have to replant some of the small ludwigia that was moved and weight down the anubias.

I have a couple large but tatty looking marimo balls, that I am debating cutting one up and tying it to some stones or craft mesh to make a "moss" carpet.

The pothos did not rebound but the dragon tongue is looking great.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #4
Daisy Mae
Algae Grower

Looking good!
Old Today, 02:32 AM   #5
Rushdoggie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixie007 View Post
Pics as of 7/22:

"Front"

"Back"

Overhead

On 7/22, added trio of Amano shrimp. One looked poor from the start (had no food in his gut) and died that night. I decided not to replace. The other two are doing great. Watching them eat, I finally understand why shrimp tanks are so popular.

The nerite snails have been temporarily banished to the 1 gal snail spa, on account of their mollusc hanky panky. I don't want nerite eggs everywhere but I feel bad breaking up snail Romeo and Juliet. Ultimately I plan to trade in the lady zebra (boo is a tracked nerite so I know which one's which, haha).

On 7/29, rearranged some of the plants, added more anacharis, added two more anubias nana petite, and moved female betta in. I still have to replant some of the small ludwigia that was moved and weight down the anubias.

I have a couple large but tatty looking marimo balls, that I am debating cutting one up and tying it to some stones or craft mesh to make a "moss" carpet.

The pothos did not rebound but the dragon tongue is looking great.

Very nice! I have to ask how you knew you had a male or female nerite?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.