Winning DIY Co2 with Regulator
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Winning DIY Co2 with Regulator

The same problem arises over and over again when using a DIY Co2 type system. Trying to figure out a way to shut off the Co2 at night and accurately regulating the amount of Co2 coming from the system. I use a reservoir 2L bottle topped with a 3-way manifold to accomplish this. One opening is for a brass barb for gas entering, one is for a ball valve to turn on/off gas flow to the tank, and one is for a safety release valve set at 60psi. To fine tune the flow I added a brass valve to the tubing a few inches down the line. Use thread sealant everywhere you can and apply silicon between check valves and tubing as there will be pressure built up over night. I've been running this for a few months and haven't had any accidents or disconnects.

First, lets talk about the power plant. I've used K1-V1116 wine yeast mainly because of its high alcohol tolerance, low flocculation, and general hardiness. It's worked great. The usual 2 cups of water, 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast works strong for about 30 days or so.

Here's the setup
2L Bottle cap with thread sealant. This is so the manifold can be seated on the bottle cap.

At night I close the ball valve. According to mythbuster's, 2L bottles will burst at 90psi, so I chose a 60psi safety valve. Gas is allowed to build up over night in the 2L bottle. The safety valve has never gone off. Once opened I have the brass needle valve to reduce the flow down to one or two bubbles per second.

A word to the wise, these types of diffusers make a subtle chirping sound

Parts:
Husky 3-way Manifold
60psi Safety Valve
1/4 Barb
1/4 Ball Valve
1/4 Brass Coupling Valve

Hope this helps, cheers

Last edited by BlueJack; 07-12-2011 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: additions
BlueJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Very interesting! Since the objections to pressurized CO2 systems are usually related to the high initial cost, how much did this setup cost? When it is time to replace the yeast sugar mixture do you run a risk of trying to open a bottle that is now pressurized, or has the pressure gone down by then?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Pretty slick man, now you just need to throw a solenoid on it..

We used to play a game where we'd take turns pumping a 2l bottle up until it burst...some of those suckers would get up to 120psi on the bike pump before they'd let loose..
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Hoppy & xmas_one! The total setup cost $42 excluding the diffuser and bubble counter assuming you'd need that with a pressurized system also. But ya, the second I got finished with this I thought to myself, damn, I should have just gotten that regulator w/solenoid for my paintball tank from aquariumguys for $80. No problems with pressure release when switching bottles, most likely because the yeast is pretty much spent.

Last edited by BlueJack; 06-15-2011 at 07:55 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
jahmic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

That's some ingenuity...well done.

How is the process of adjusting that needle valve after opening the ball valve in the morning? Do you end up having to make multiple adjustments? Or can you dial in the bubble count right away?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"eats sushi while scaping"...lmao. It usually take 2-3 tries before it's dialed in. Some mornings it's spot on though.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
bustah8
Algae Grower

It looks like the relief valve has a manual pull, so if you ever do need to take your reactor off when it's pressurized, all you need to do is pull the ring on the valve to relieve the pressure. Nicely done! I thought about using a balloon for overnight "storage" but was scared of the possible mess.
bustah8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
fongalv
Algae Grower

I would very much like to give this a try, but the only place I can find one of these safety valves is on evil-bay and the only seller that ships to me has got only 35psi and 75psi ones. Which would you recommend? I'm trying to build up enough pressure to activate an inline atomizer, can someone tell me what is the typical psi those compressed co2 tanks are usually run at(ie the meter valve readings)?
fongalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd go with the 75 psi one. The 35 one may go off too regularly causing your place to stink up.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
fongalv
Algae Grower

Hmm... I might just get the 60psi one through a friend since the 35/75 seller was charging exhorbitantly for shipping.

Is there any particular reason why this system needs 2 separate valves?
fongalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #11
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ya, a needle valve isn't really made for holding pressure, that's why you need the ball valve. And the ball valve isn't really good at making precise adjustments to the flow of CO2, that's why you need the needle valve. Good luck with it!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
nalu86
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

One day, your house will be a mess!!
Don't forget that plastic after a while wears out.
Just go the Paintball co2 way, its easy and cheaper than yeast/suger after a while + never a mess!
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #13
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Coke bottles are made from Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET), a material that is inherently good at resisting acids (carbonic acid is a weak acid from co2). There's a reason why carbonated beverages are stored in these bottles. I read a study on the diffusion of co2 through (PET) performed over a 2 year time period. The bottle didn't corrode over that time frame, although, amazingly 90% of co2 had escaped through the bottle walls by the end of that time frame.

I guess glass would've been a better container. Just look for signs of corrosion, like discoloration, and I wouldn't worry about the bottle degrading.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #14
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Made the change to glass. I want to do it for both containers but I need a minute before I polish off the next bottle of Jack

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #15
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

i'll help ya
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brewers yeast, co2 2 liter, diy co2, wine yeast, yeast reactor