Sexy 10 gallon - Stage Two
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Ahkuma
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sexy 10 gallon - Stage Two

http://photobucket.com/albums/v308/A...nt=tank028.jpg

When I was over at Mr. Barr's house he had all these cool nano tanks that ranged from like half a gallon on up to this 10 gallon size. The 10 being a 2 footer fits perfectly in this narrow space I have in my hallway.

Since this tank is in public viewing space in the living room I didn't want to go with traditional lighting. Pop's and I built a nice 2 foot stained box and attatched it to the underside of my cabinet. Installed in the box are 3 -20 watt halogen pot lights. The box is 7 inches above the aquarium wich I was hoping would eliminate any heat issues but it still warms the top of the tank by about a degree per hour up to 4 or 5 degrees. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to address this.

Question 1 : I would imagine even with regular PC hoods there will be some heat issues. What would you consider a acceptable variance from lights?

Question 2 : Does any body know the real world length of a ash supply 1 x 55 kit? The web site says 22.5 in length needed and I have 22.6 or 7.

For the backround I went to Wallmart and bought a yard of felt for three bucks. I attatched it to the back of the tank with 3/4 inch ACCO binder clips and then took off the metal butterfly part just leaving the plastic clip on the back of the tank to hold it.

The Filter is an AC 20. This thing is puny. As a kid in the hobby I don't remember these things being so cheaply built. I dont think this little filter will be eough for the tank and I definitely need more circulation.

I originally bought 50 lbs of pool Filter sand that looked great in the store but in the tank it looked like compacted mud. Tore that out and bought some basalite pea gravel from Home Depot for around 3 bucks. Now I guess I'm going to go with more of a river look. I would like to get some dwarf pygmy cories down the road and I'm not sure if this will be the best substrate for them. Seems kind of ruff and maybe hard to find food in.

There are no plants or fish in the tank at this stage. I'm still trying to come up with a look. I went to a local stream and found some rock and wood but the look of the tank will change as I find better items more to scale.

I'm thinking of getting a small school of tiny fish like maybe neons or white clouds, a few dwarf pygmy cories and maybe some otto's.

Any suggestions on plants and whatever would be appreciated. The only thing I have tested so far is the ph after the water was filtered for 48 hours. The ph reading was 7.8 wich is alot higher than I was expecting.

Last edited by Ahkuma; 02-13-2005 at 05:58 AM..
Ahkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
mshaeffer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer

looks good!! I like the wood and rocks they look like the fit well together
mshaeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

That is a sexy tank. Strange the way the acrylic walls channel light to the bottom edge of the tank. Kind of like fiber optics.

I have a 15g with similar rock substrate. It's a bit awkward for planting, but the plants I do have (crypts and hygro mostly), do okay where I put em. I can't get much to spread around though.

I'd keep the emergent piece of wood. I really like it.

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Ahkuma
Planted Member

unirdna:

Thank you for the kind words. One of the things that drew me to this tank is the fact that it's glass. I dont have to worry about it getting scratched and yellowed but it still has those cool rounded corners.

Do you have any pics of your 15 gallon? I didn't see that listed on your sig with the rest of your tanks?

On these open top tanks where you keep the water level down a bit how do you keep water deposits from making a line across the front of the tank?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahkuma
Do you have any pics of your 15 gallon? I didn't see that listed on your sig with the rest of your tanks?

On these open top tanks where you keep the water level down a bit how do you keep water deposits from making a line across the front of the tank?
I found the 15 gallon journal, but it was so old that the photos were lost during the forum change . I'll sniff around my harddrive and see if I still have em.

RE: the water lines. First off, my tanks are not as pretty as the one you have. They have a plastic frame at the top and bottom. Although unsightly, imo, this frame effectively hides the water line at the top. That aside, I found that those deposit lines only occur in my non CO2 tanks. Seems that the low pH (6.6) and GH (3) in my planted tanks work to keep those line away.

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
depthC
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC

Looks like a good start Ahkuma. The right side of the tank does look pretty dim, im not sure if its just the camera angle or what.

Also may i suggest Rasbora maculata for the tank. They are tiny 1" rasboras that i think would look good in this tank with a dark substrate. Good luck and keep us updated with this interesting tank.

Andrew
Old 01-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Ahkuma
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthC
Looks like a good start Ahkuma. The right side of the tank does look pretty dim, im not sure if its just the camera angle or what.

Andrew
The right side of the tank is most certainly dim !

I spaced the lights correctly, got the the light box pretty darn close to matching the tank so I'm at a loss. My two theories are 1, that light on the right is gimpy or 2, the white wall is enhancing the light in center and left while the right portion where my filter is doesn't have a wall behind it because thats where the wall takes a corner to go to my kitchen.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Looks good without plants!!! The only thing I can picture in the tank is moss.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:15 AM   #9
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah, moss sounds great, and maybe some dwarf hairgrass. sweet tank, what are you gonna put it? some cherries would be awesome
Old 01-24-2005, 12:04 AM   #10
littleguy
Algae Grower

Where did you get the tank - what brand is it? I really like that clean look - no seams, no glue, no plastic frame....
littleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:04 AM   #11
John P.
Wannabe Guru

You might like this brand--they have them at a LFS here in SoCal--great stuff:

http://commodityaxis.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?id=19
Old 01-24-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
Ahkuma
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleguy
Where did you get the tank - what brand is it? I really like that clean look - no seams, no glue, no plastic frame....
I bought the tank from Tom who is a member on this site aka, plantbrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain
I found a place that has sets of 5 tanks, all rimless, framless open top.
These are 10,6,4,3,2,1 gal sizes, they have bent glass fronts like most acrylic tanks. The 10 is 24L, the 6, 18" L, 12, 10, 8L
All great sizes! If you are close to Sac or the Bay area, you can get a set!!
You might want to PM him to find out the specifics.

I leave for vacation at the end of January and when I get back I'm going to finish the tank then. I think I'm going to try some moss as per Urkevitz, Thanks and littleguy.

There is that new wood fungus going on right now in the tank. I hope it clears up by the time I get back from vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthC
Also may i suggest Rasbora maculata for the tank. They are tiny 1" rasboras that i think would look good in this tank with a dark substrate. Good luck and keep us updated with this interesting tank.
Are Rasbora maculata hardy enough to try to cycle the tank with? Are these relatively inexpensive?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
depthC
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC

I dont know if they are hardy enough but i sure wouldnt use them for it. Try a fishless or just forget the cycle and throw some plants and fish in.

Im not sure if youll be able to find those tiny rasboras in your area but if you do your lucky. They would look great in that tank, say a school of 20. Theyre tiny so dont think youll be overstocking your tank, your not.

Andrew
Old 01-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #14
mrk442
Algae Grower

That is sexy I love the wood and the rocks my dwarf Cory's rock but don't stick to the bottom quite as much as other Cory's but they do school great and would look fantastic in that tank. Since you already have the sand maybe you could find a way to work it into that tank that way the Cory's have some. a beech or under the wood like it had collected there from stream flow? I have seen silt and sand collect in eddies and what not around rocks and wood in the "wild".

A school of Cory's and a school of pygmy rasboras would compliment the tank well. i know azgardens has the Pygmy's from time to time right now they have
Dwarf Emerald Green Eye Rasbora "Rasbora dorsiocellata-macrophthalma" which are quite pretty in person and would look good.

Looking good post pics as it progresses i am really tempted to get one of those tanks from tom.

Planing a 65g Tall done right from the start using Tom Barr's Non-Co2 Method now I just need to figure out the lighting!
mrk442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:37 AM   #15
littleguy
Algae Grower

Thanks John P.
littleguy is offline   Reply With Quote