Flora Fun! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #31
Rockhoe14er
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
The Manaus has all but melted it was doing good, then mush. There is still one tiny side shoot that is holding on, hopefully it will grow
Really? noooooooo it's still surviving for me but it's far from thriving.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #32
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quick update. The tank has undergone some massive algae outbreaks, and deaths I lost my sparkling gourami, two of my cross banded danio, and all but one of my chili rasboras in a strange ammonia spike. I also am having a very hard time keeping inverts alive in this tank. I have lost all of my nerites, and all of my amano shrimp. The tetras and remaining danios are doing great though. The dwarf four leaf clover did not survive my attack on the algae with over dosing the excel, so I decided to go another route with the carpet. I have 5 pots of Crypt. Parva ordered from an LFS, and plan to use that. There has been some plant changes too!!! I ripped out all of the corymbosa this evening, and replanted with trimmings of rotala 'nanjenshan' and rotala rotundifolia. i have kept the few stems of aromatica in the tank, and will see how well I can get them to bush out. The plan is to keep smaller species of plants in here to better fit the scale of the tank. I will know how well the tank will support this idea in the coming weeks. The tank is certainly a high light tank thanks to DaveH bringing his PAR meter over to measure. at the time I was getting just over 50 par at the substrate level with the single 24Watt CFL mounted vertical over the tank about 2" off the top of the tank. the light is now 1/2" off the top of the water and should be providing plenty of light.

My plans after the scape takes shape will be adding a few more ember tetras, a couple more cross banded danio, and one small center piece fish. I was thinking maybe a male endler, or possibly another Dario. I want to make sure the tank is ready for them before I go that route.

ohh and I added some Hygrophila pinnatifida temporarily too. I am letting it grow out for a bit before adding it to my 36 gal. Rockhoe14er was nice enough to give me a small stem

here is one pic I just took tonight, more to come as it grows in, and the trimming to get my bushes goes into motion.

Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #33
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Update:

New plants, the list now contains
Utricularia graminifolia
Limnophila aromatica
Pogostemon erectus
Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan'
Rotala rotundifolia
Persicaria sp. 'Sao Paulo'
Lindernia sp. 'India'

Some of the plants are going to shift around at some point, once everything is going smooth.

Here is a current pic.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 AM   #34
Rockhoe14er
Wannabe Guru

wow tank looks great Noah.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #35
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
wow tank looks great Noah.
you should see it now lol I will get a new pic up. The pogostomen erectus is growing like a weed, and everything else is now growing great. I got the GDA under control, now I just have this pesky whitish film that grows over the top of the plants through the week.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #36
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

You need to stop buying plants and stuff for your tanks, and save and get a good camera, cuz your iphone doesn't do your awesome tanks enough justice.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #37
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I like the look of your ug, once it grows in that is going to be very impressive
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #38
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
You need to stop buying plants and stuff for your tanks, and save and get a good camera, cuz your iphone doesn't do your awesome tanks enough justice.
LOL, 2.99 bunch of plants will take a long time to pay for an DSLR ;p

I am nearing completion, I have actually been contemplating tearing down my 36 gal and actually taking my time and laying out a scape, with specific plants in mind. I need to find a good place in the mountains to dig out some kick ass rock though, I might visit pioneer up the street from me to see what they have. I think I have messed with enough plants now to know what will grow well for me, and what will not. I dunno, just an idea lol.

Letting the water clear up a bit now before I take a pic, just brushed the strange stuff off the plants.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #39
Rockhoe14er
Wannabe Guru

your 36 is the definition of heavily planted.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #40
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
I like the look of your ug, once it grows in that is going to be very impressive
I think so too. Eden brought me more, it has started to root and grow a bit, I have to do a nice trim on it now so it can grow even. I am happy to see things starting to grow correctly, I ended up modifying the EI dosing to double everything but KNO3, this brought things back into balance, I also got rid of my Paintball co2 DIY system, and now have a nice regulated paintball system on it. this alone has brought the tank out of an algae farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
your 36 is the definition of heavily planted.
LOL yea, its a jungle. Ohh by the way, I have a couple stems of the stellata in waiting for you. the cuba will take a bit longer.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #41
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
LOL, 2.99 bunch of plants will take a long time to pay for an DSLR ;p

I am nearing completion, I have actually been contemplating tearing down my 36 gal and actually taking my time and laying out a scape, with specific plants in mind. I need to find a good place in the mountains to dig out some kick ass rock though, I might visit pioneer up the street from me to see what they have. I think I have messed with enough plants now to know what will grow well for me, and what will not. I dunno, just an idea lol.

Letting the water clear up a bit now before I take a pic, just brushed the strange stuff off the plants.
A penny saved is a penny earned hahahaha (says the hypocrite). Well you don't need to buy a DSLR, just get a higher end point and shoot is better than an iphone hahaaha
Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #42
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

OK cleared up.

Here are a few shots of how it is as of an hour ago. I am going to do a good size trimming this weekend to get my bushes thicker. And then the week after start to shape them a tiny bit. I am thinking of a different place for the Polygonum sp. 'Sao Paulo', not sure if it is in too much of a prominant spot, thus taking too much of the view. What do you think?

my Lindernia sp. 'India' is going to stay a small short bush, now that it is growing well. I will trim the stems in half and replant to form the bush. the bacopa I might move to the 36 gal. and stop with the different plant species at that point lol. Maybe remove the Aromatica and move the 'sao paulo' there? the rotala is just now starting to grow well, once the bush gets going, the trimmings are going to go into the 36 gal. to help fill an empty space lol.

here are the pics.

FTS

Pogostemon erectus

Polygonum sp. 'Sao Paulo'

Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan' / Rotala rotundifolia

Hygrophilia sp. 'Pinnatifida'

Strange growth stuff, it seems to grow on the wood, and on the plant leaves, but is very easily wiped off. And more grey/white on the plant leaves.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #43
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Looks great!@!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #44
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Looks great!@!!!!
Thanks, it will look even better after I get the plants to start bushing out a bit, and get the ug trimmed and growing well The 'sao paulo' stems you gave me are just plain amazing in color!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #45
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Beautiful tank, congrats
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote