Napoleon Dynamite fans in here
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Napoleon Dynamite fans in here

Anyone seen this flippin sweet movie? I can't get enough of it!
GulfCoastAquarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Haven't seen it yet, but a kid that I was really good friends with in elementary and middle school was one of the producers (Chris Wyatt). His mom hates me though...she was my 5th grade teacher and all I remember was getting sent to the principal and headmaster's office for giving her the finger.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

It's a pretty good movie. For a while when I was a teenager I lived six miles south of Preston ID. For what it's worth that chicken farm is where I used to go pick up eggs for the family restaurant back then. If I remember correctly the owners of the egg farm are playing themselves. Or they managed to get people who were the spitting image of the brothers who owned the place.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

It's just the kind of movie that most geeks can totally associate with. This guy is such an amusing character. I could watch that movie over and over again.
Rex, is Preston really that backwards?! A bunch of my friends actually argued over and over again that the movie was set in the '80's but Napoleon's Student ID clearly shows the dates for the '03-'04 school year.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

It has been years since I was in that area. But I would not doubt that Preston is still at least 90% LDS. And while the director may have slightly exaggerated things I have no doubt that there is a very large grain of truth to the movie.

It's as different in that part of the country as it is in the Amish areas of the East.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I won't bother with that film for a kind of a crazy reason, but an important reason to me. The title.

Napoleon Dynamite was one of the many incarnations of Elvis Costello many years ago. When he played small, unannounced shows he would appear as Napoleon Dynamite and the Royal Guard, or the Impostor, or The Emotional Toothpaste..that kind of thing. Well the hacks who wrote the film swiped the "Napoleon Dynamite" moniker from E. C. and didn't give the guy credit. In fact, they "claim" they had never heard the name before and had no knowledge Elvis Costello used it as. Sounds way, way, way to fishy to me!

I won't support people who steal, be it property or ideas.

Mike
Old 01-17-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
Barbels
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I grinned from beginning to end. I'm not a person who much cares to see any movie again and again, but I've seen it twice and I can't wait to see it again (and again!).
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Barbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 PM   #8
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ive never even heard of this movie... and stealing from Elvis C ??? That should be punishable by death, I put the costello CD's in every now and then. My wife goes to the movies every week and she aint even heard of it. Is this one of those low budget, straight to DVD movies ?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I heard of the movie, never heard of it being a side Elvis Costello name though......I think you're showing your age again Mike.....
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:24 PM   #10
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

great movie... i especially like the "holy chips" scene that was in the extras on the DVD. I think everyone knew a couple of guys that were like Pedro and Napolean in high school. The best insight into Napolean's character is when he's feeding the llama (or whatever that thing was) and he loses his temper with it before he even gets to the fence with the food. "TINA!! EAT SOME DINNER!!!" and he angrily tosses it onto the ground.

as for the elvis costello issue... I'm a big fan, but I don't think that its worth missing a genuinely funny movie over. perhaps it was an innocent mistake... who knows, maybe elvis picked it up from somewhere, too... I'm not saying that it wasn't a little low to steal a moniker like that, but maybe the writer who made the decision heard it from a friend and wasn't given any explanation as to the background of the name, but just thought it sounded funny.

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:27 PM   #11
Cord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just saw this yesterday. I absolutely love it. I totally was Napoleon in 5th grade, but female so it was even worse.

It is an mtv production. I don't know if went to theatres?
Cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:36 PM   #12
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

It won some major awards at the Sundance Film Festival apparently.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #13
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well it sounds like I will have to look for it now ! Curiousity is killin me. Not to mention we are loving the new 42" SonyWega TV my wife and I bought "us" for Xmas !
Old 01-18-2005, 12:28 AM   #14
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I saw it over the summer. It was pretty funny. That guy is too much.. his mad dance skills are classic.

Was it just me or did there seem to be no real reference to the era that the movie took place in? For the most part (from the clothes and whatnot) it seemed like the late 80s. But all the talk of the net and some of the extra's clothing was relatively current. Or is it a product of location of the film?

Anyone catch 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou' yet? Classic film. Willem Dafoe is pretty damn funny.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:30 AM   #15
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Oh man, I guess I am showing a bit of my age - but I don't know who Elvis Costello is. If I did, and I was a fan of his, I guess I'd hope they'd give him credit for the name. Nontheless, this is going to be one of those cult classics. Type in "napoleon dynamite" on Ebay and look at how much crap you can buy already. I went and got myself a cheesy green T-Shirt that says "Flippin Sweet!" on it. Haha
Oqsy - I loved the Tina scenes, too. Haha "Eat your food, Tina! You fat lard!" hahaha
I loved when he beat himself in tetherball and kept muttering "yes, yes, yes" every time he'd whale the ball for another loop. Haha