Riccia Rooting?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
avillax
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Riccia Rooting?

Hi, I have a small rock with riccia attached to the top, that I bought a few weeks ago. The riccia grows fast and it seems to be rooting to the sides of the rock, I don't know if its only my imagination since I heard it does not root to anything.

So I was wondering if I could place a similar rock next to this one so that the riccia will attach to it.
avillax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
29gallonsteve
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Riccia cannot root...

Are you sure it is riccia and not some type of Moss??
29gallonsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

If it is riccia, you will be able to easily remove the netting holding it onto the rock and split the riccia portion in half. Then attach a thin layer of it to both of the rocks that you want it on, using the netting or some fishing line. If it is a moss, such as java moss, you can use the same method, but it will grip onto the rock and doesn't need to be permanently fastened. Riccia doesn't "attach" to anything and will float away if released.
It is hard to imagine you would confuse a moss with riccia though, since they really don't even resemble each other.
-Aphyosemion
Old 01-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
avillax
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

No, I'm 100% sure it is riccia, I also have java moss, so are you sure it is not attached by itself?, like if I cut the netting, it will start floating right away, I mean I thought that holding it down with netting would cause the riccia to stick to the stone
avillax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2005, 12:46 AM   #5
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Its impossible...it has to be held in place with "something". Some people hold it down to substrates with other plants rooting through a bed of it. I have never tried it but it sounds like a chore.
Even if it stayed down at first you can bet that with growth and a good pearling session it will take off like a hot air balloon !
Old 01-18-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

I dunno... take a look at this thread...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13012

Riccia does not always float. And it may not "root", but it can sure as heck bind itself to things it can interwine itself in.

Sinking riccia is driving me nuts. Even when I tweeze it loose from things it's grown into, I have to be careful not to drop it, 'cuz it sinks straight to the bottom.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Steve I thought that was only a small portion, actually a few pieces, of your riccia doing that ?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 AM   #8
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

No Buck. I wish that were the case. You called it a "weed" and your were dead on taget. I spend an hour and a half pulling the stuff out of my glosso with tweezers one week, and about half an hour this last weekend.

There's less of it now, but it's still in there, and hard to find. Those little bits were just what I pulled out to photograph. The reality was to multiply that by 50 or 100.

It's undercontrol, but now that some of it has taken on this "evil" sinking form, I think it will be a permanent pest in this tank. So watch that riccia I sent you, it's the same stuff! Sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.