190g wild discus biotope w/ LED lighting - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #31
boon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Can I have the full Hi-Res for wallpaper purposes please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #32
HX67
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Absolutely stunning tank.
The light is just perfect!

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #33
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Holy mackerel! I'm speechless. That lighting system is beyond belief, and I think takes LED lighting to another level.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #34
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (253/100%)

Do you fine the roselines bully the discus and disturb them?
I had this issue in the past.

Nice wood layout and lighting.

I also like the 3D backgound attached to the overflow, that hid the box very well.

I did this to an older tank I had so you could not see it and attached plants to it. No plants here, but some floating species could be used if you wanted to.

I have some nice wire and quick release suspension stuff you might be find more attractive for the light bar. PM if interested.

I like the light a lot.

The brass valves are 10X better than the stiff, PVC ball valves.
They often do not even cost a whole lot more. I've set up all the client's with these vs the PVC. At some point, I'll do this.

Nice end result, I know you spent a lot of time on it, but.......you got the goal you where after.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
macclellan
H+

PTrader: (208/100%)

Nice. Display only, or do you wish to breed?
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #36
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

This is like the kind of tank that a German or Norwegian would put together.

You don't see people in the USA taking this as seriously very much.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #37
jcardona1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Ghasp!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Very nice! I love how the LED's give the shimmering effect of the sun shining down through the mazanita branches. It looks very natural especially compared to how flourescents look.
Yeah I love it! That one picture with the wireless flash made the shimmering effect more pronounced, but it's still very pleasing to see in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
This is amazing.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Jose,

All of a sudden after looking through your post, Bette Midler's "Wind beneath my wings" popped in my head.

Absolutely won't miss a beat of this journal bro.
Thanks Nick, appreciate it! I'll post updates regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman9809 View Post
Fantastic aquarium. My jaw literally dropped when I saw the beautiful shimmering water, the beautiful discus, and the awesome LED build. Just to point this out though, rainbowfish and roseline barbs aren't biotopical.

EDIT: You pointed that out in the first post :p The layout itself is very biotopical so it's perfect. I'm amazed.
Thanks! Yeah the rainbowfish I could do without, I just had nowhere to put them while moving all the fish over. So they're staying for sure now, no way I can catch them in that jungle. The roselines I just can't get rid of. I bought them when they were small and ugly and have watched them grow. I really love those guys!

jcardona1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #38
jcardona1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post

Can I have the full Hi-Res for wallpaper purposes please?
Here you go, you can get a larger version here, just right click (didn't keep the monster original file size though): http://www.flickr.com/photos/18984651@N05/5593765507/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX67 View Post
Absolutely stunning tank.
The light is just perfect!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Holy mackerel! I'm speechless. That lighting system is beyond belief, and I think takes LED lighting to another level.
Thanks Vaughn, appreciate the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Do you fine the roselines bully the discus and disturb them?
I had this issue in the past.

Nice wood layout and lighting.

I also like the 3D backgound attached to the overflow, that hid the box very well.

I did this to an older tank I had so you could not see it and attached plants to it. No plants here, but some floating species could be used if you wanted to.

I have some nice wire and quick release suspension stuff you might be find more attractive for the light bar. PM if interested.

I like the light a lot.

The brass valves are 10X better than the stiff, PVC ball valves.
They often do not even cost a whole lot more. I've set up all the client's with these vs the PVC. At some point, I'll do this.

Nice end result, I know you spent a lot of time on it, but.......you got the goal you where after.
Thanks Tom, appreciate it! Yes, I worked a lot on this tank, I'm just glad it's over...for now. No, the roselines are calm as can be. Never seen them mess with the discus. They stick to the lower parts of the tank. Really cool watching them school through the 'roots'.

And yeah the brass gate valve is a must when fine tuning flow. Almost impossible to do with a PVC ball valve. I'll let you know about the suspension cables, thanks for the offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Nice. Display only, or do you wish to breed?
Thanks. For now, display only. I've read that wild discus will do fine in tapwater, but they won't breed unless you start messing with the TDS/ph, not something I want to take on at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
This is like the kind of tank that a German or Norwegian would put together.

You don't see people in the USA taking this as seriously very much.
Thanks. And that's a good point. Tank setups in Europe are just insane!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #39
night9eyes
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Fantastic set-up and amazing pics! You've done a stunning job all around. Very natural.

EHEIM #460-- Eheim Pro II 2026
night9eyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #40
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

See, you didn't need to see my biotope presentation after all!

Lovely tank! I love the dappled LED effect and the tree roots - they look very natural. I wish I'd seen this thread sooner - I would have used it as the discus biotope example tank.

The only thing I would have done differently is a black background, but that's pretty minor. I like the way your background hides the box.

You might consider adding a few dried leaves down the line to keep the tannins going and to provide a natural feel(tree roots means trees overhead, which means fallen leaves). A few catappa leaves every so often would probably work.

Incidentally, you're really close to a roseline biotope as well - all the pictures of their habitat I've seen have been branches, leaves, and sand/mud. I suspect both the roselines and the discus are feeling quite at home!
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #41
Tbakes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Jose - gorgeous tank and a superb write-up. I am in the planning stages for my 178G tank and plan to "borrow" (or outright steal!) many of your plumbing ideas.

Based on your tanks inhabitants, I doubt you have problems with critters going over into the overflow box. I am going to be keeping small schooling fish in a heavily planted tank, so I am still working out my overflow box design.

-Tony
Tbakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #42
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Very nice. Worthy if a public aquarium. Impressed with the light design too - industrial chic . Would love to see a write up of the light too.

Great work.
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #43
Coltonorr
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (57/100%)

Wow! Very nice setup!
makes me want discus...those colors are fantastic!
Coltonorr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #44
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

Any updates of this magnificent tank?
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #45
jcardona1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by night9eyes View Post
Fantastic set-up and amazing pics! You've done a stunning job all around. Very natural.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
See, you didn't need to see my biotope presentation after all!

Lovely tank! I love the dappled LED effect and the tree roots - they look very natural. I wish I'd seen this thread sooner - I would have used it as the discus biotope example tank.

The only thing I would have done differently is a black background, but that's pretty minor. I like the way your background hides the box.

You might consider adding a few dried leaves down the line to keep the tannins going and to provide a natural feel(tree roots means trees overhead, which means fallen leaves). A few catappa leaves every so often would probably work.

Incidentally, you're really close to a roseline biotope as well - all the pictures of their habitat I've seen have been branches, leaves, and sand/mud. I suspect both the roselines and the discus are feeling quite at home!
Thanks Matt, appreciate it! I have been thinking of collecting some oak leaves or buying indian almond leaves to use as litter. I've used them before and I like the black water look it gives the tank. On the background, I've done black for far too long. I was tired of it and wanted something different. Discus seem to look better with light colored backgrounds also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbakes View Post
Jose - gorgeous tank and a superb write-up. I am in the planning stages for my 178G tank and plan to "borrow" (or outright steal!) many of your plumbing ideas.

Based on your tanks inhabitants, I doubt you have problems with critters going over into the overflow box. I am going to be keeping small schooling fish in a heavily planted tank, so I am still working out my overflow box design.

-Tony
Thanks Tony, appreciate it! I actually purchased a small school of lemon tetras and within an hour all ten were in the overflow box! I scopped them out and I guess they learned their lesson. Now I'll get one or two in their every few days. Thank goodness for the intake strainers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
Very nice. Worthy if a public aquarium. Impressed with the light design too - industrial chic . Would love to see a write up of the light too.

Great work.
Thanks! Unfortunately that's all I really have on the ligthing. As I mentioned, I didn't build the drivers, that would be Aaron. So really the write up I have in the first post is all the information I have on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
Wow! Very nice setup!
makes me want discus...those colors are fantastic!
Thanks! They really are king of the freshwater aquarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
Any updates of this magnificent tank?
Yup, see next post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.