DIY Co2 reactors for tiny tanks - and bubble rates
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-18-2003, 04:16 PM   #1
cerealkllr4
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any advice or examples of what ppl have acheived in this area.

I'm also reading that airstones can be bad for back pressure and therefore possible soda pop bottle (called soft drink bottles here in Australia) explosions.

What about bubble rates? What should i/we aim for with sub 10g tanks?

Just quicly also - where is everyone from?

Cheers
cerealkllr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
corey
Algae Grower

Toronto Canada----------I get about 25 - 30 bpm with my DIY co2 system (3 - 2L pop bottles for a 55 and 90 gallon)
Old 04-19-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
cerealkllr4
Algae Grower

hiya corey

are you using bakers yeast or champagne yeast. currently i've got bakers yeast going as a trial but i seem to remember a post saying that champagne yeast can survice the alocoholic conditions in the DIY co2 environment. must be tough stuff - i sometimes feel like i don't survive tequila conditions too well!

i'm only running a 1.25 lt bottle for my little tank - about 20 bubbles per minute at the moment.

Toronto - man you must need some heaters there
Old 04-20-2003, 12:43 AM   #4
corey
Algae Grower

Yeah we need heaters here. For my tanks I use two heaters in my 55g and 3 heaters in my 90g to make sure that the water temp is the same at any point in the tank because they are both in my basement and in the winter even with the furnace on it can get pretty cold done there. We had a killer ice storm 2 weeks ago but today was nice for us it was 70f but it wont belong and we will have to turn on the A/C. In the summer months it hits about 85f-90f but because of the smog it feels alot hotter. Somedays there is so much smog its illegal (a fine of up to $250) for using the lawnmower or the bar-b-q.

Anyways..... I use a bakers yeast. I haven't tried champagne yeast the bakers yeast works well for me. I use 3-2L with a mix of 1 1/2 cups sugar and a generous teaspoon of yeast and fill them halfway with luke warm water. The 3 bottles are then in a bucket filled with water and heated with a aquarium heater to keep the mix at a constant temp. The 3-2L bottles then tee off into 2 Hagen bubble counter/diffusers. I would like to buy a proper CO2 system from the LFS but they are about $1400 here and trying to justify that to my wife is like...... :roll: .....well you know ......... I have also started a nano tank and have just completed a paladarium ( half land half water ) for Fire belly newts that I bought for my son. well all the best
Old 04-21-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
cerealkllr4
Algae Grower

heaters are needed for about 3 months of the year here(only really for two of those months) - coldest it has been in the past few years: 35 ish (F) / (2 deg C)

hottest is about 113 Deg F TOASTY 8)

Chilling is our problem.

My co2 mixes are burning up real quick. I think i'm gonna have a word with the local home brew shop for ideas on heat resistant yeast - probably the champagne stuff from what i can gather. Coming into winter now though, but i'll still find out.

Any ideas on slowing down the mix? :?:
Old 04-25-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
vfish2003
Algae Grower

in my nano i have a penguin HOB filter and i inject the co2 into the filter insert area and use an airstone with no ill effects, I'm also in Toronto and have even needed to use bafs of ice in one of my tanks when the AC wasn't working in the summer
vfish2003 is offline   Reply With Quote