I Need Help With My GBR'S
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Alpha Pro Breeders

Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
AquaMan134

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

I Need Help With My GBR'S

Hi, I have a Male and Female GBR'S. I got them at a local pet store. I really wanted to breed fish that toke care of their fry so, the guy suggested them. I fell in love with their color so I bought them. They took a bit to truly pair. Anyway, they laid the first batch, and the eggs were eaten all before hatching. Same went for the the second batch. But now they are truly paired up, but I haven't seen a new batch in a bit. Can anyone tell me what is happening?
AquaMan134 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

There are two real reasons that cichlids eat the eggs; either an inexperienced pair, or they will also eat the infertile eggs. After two fails, one may be rejecting the other. Do they court? Keep the water real clean and offer foods like freeze dried tubiflex.

THe number one rule is patience. Most of the time it is just a matter of waiting for them to be ready. Not sure on other breeding triggers for rams.
stanjam is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
cnoel
Algae Grower

I have a pair that chose each other out of 3 males 4 females. the two are now in a 25g with only one guppy. and they ate their 1st batch that was not fertilized and have eaten the next 5 batches over the past 3 months. They get get frozen blood worms, glass worms, brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, and some flake food in a rotation. ammonia is always 0 and nitrate and nitrite just about 0. they normally lay the day of/after a 20% water change with slightly cooler water. Saying all that to say that sometimes they are finicky. I wish you the best of luck!
cnoel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
TorontoPlantMan
Algae Grower

The chances of your GBR's being in the same family are fairly common. Inbreeding is never good and you'll end up with sick fish and infertile eggs. Also, if there not of the same family then just give them some time. Put it this way, if you and your wife had 2 miscarriges do you think you'd immediately try again? Probably not lol
TorontoPlantMan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Test the hardness of your water. The softer the better when it comes with Rams. Hard water will cause the eggs to become infertile and the rams will eat them. Other tank mates will also eat the eggs despite the parenting skills especially at night. Remove the other tank mates if you notice eggs.
Also, the temps should be high, 82-86.
Rams are good parents but they typically take 3-5 practice runs to get it right. Be patient with them, give them high quality food and nature will take its course. Once the fry are free swimming, you'll need to feed them BBS but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.
Tvadna is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Luminescent
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnoel View Post
they normally lay the day of/after a 20% water change with slightly cooler water.
It's the cooler water 'warming up' that kicks them into gear. When I had a breeding pair all I needed to do was drop the temp to 83 over a couple of days - small water change- then bump it back up again to about 88 over a couple of days.

BAM eggs.
Luminescent is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

from what I have read online, not many people have luck with their gbrs raising their fry. they have much better chance of survival when you remove the eggs or parents :/

mine always eat their eggs toooo longest batch went 3 days, they normally disappear over night
thebuddha is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.