My 29 high low tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
bonaparte
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My 29 high low tech

So after three decades away from this hobby/way of life/obsession, I've come back with a 29 gallon high tank. MAN! Maintaining an aquarium sure is different than it was 35 years ago. No wonder my fish rarely lived. All I had was a tank full of ammonia and plastic plants!

Unfortunately, I started my tank before I found this forum. I probably would have approached things differently, otherwise, but so far so good I think.

I want to hear all of your suggestions, comments and critiques. I've got a lot to learn.
Attached Images

bonaparte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
bonaparte
Algae Grower

Here's my tank resume:

29 gallon high
30" Coralife dual T5 fixture (with whatever bulbs came in the package)
Eheim 2215 filter
misc Topfin heater off of craigslist

The substrate is nursery sand underneath fine gravel from my LFS.

So far, I'm not doing much in the way of fertilizer. I've got API root tabs in there at approximately 1/2 of the recommended dose per square inch, and I dose 2ml of Excel every day or every other day. I read on another thread that one of you had success mixing Excel and Yamato Green, and I thought I might try that but in general, I don't know a macro from a micro.

And there's a reason that it's composed more heavily towards the left, with the foreground plants towards the right: the tank is in the corner of the room and the couch faces the right side. Clever, huh?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
bonaparte
Algae Grower

Flora:
Amazon Sword, Echinodorus bleheri
Cryptocoryne undulata
Crypt. parva
Crypt. w. Tropica
some Hygrophila, possibly Rosanervig
mystery Rotala
Microsorum p. Tropica
Microsorum p. Windelov
Ceratopteris siliquoisa
Anubias Nana "Petite"
Dwarf Sagittaria, Sagittaria subulata
Micro Sword, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Dwarf Water Lily, Nymphaea pubescens (?)

Fauna:
10X Cardinal Tetras
5X Foersch's Barbs
4X Amano Shrimp
3X Panda Corys
1X albino Ancistrus (juvenile, female?)
1X SAE
Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
cwinson85
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think it looks great, good work!

O 29g planted journal O
o 10g Betta tank__o
cwinson85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
bonaparte
Algae Grower

Thanks, cw!

Here's a closeup of my Crypt. Tropica, which has quickly become my favorite plant. The unique metallic purplish green is a real standout against the more expected greens in the tank.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

very nice. i really like that crypt also. i have quite a few different crypts in my 29, but i don't have one of those...
daverock1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
RocknRolla

super awesome tank i like the plant selection and the crypt tropica is great. keep it up.
RocknRolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
bonaparte
Algae Grower

I have decided to pull out some rock and add more plants in the midground. The guy at my LFS showed me pictures of his tank; it's 10% smaller and his bioload is easily double what I have! His tank remains in balance because of wall to wall plants and one helluva filter.

My Eheim 2215 only has about 80% of the capacity of his Rena so I won't be attempting what he's doing (40 cardinals and 50+ shrimp in a 26g), but jamming a few more nitrate sucking plants so that I can fit in a few top feeders sounds like a great plan to me. Stay tuned.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
bonaparte
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaparte View Post
Flora:
Dwarf Water Lily, Nymphaea pubescens (?)
It's safe to say that at least one of my Nymphaeas is actually Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri', the red tiger lotus. (You can see it below the java fern on the right side of the tank in the pic in post#1.) I didn't think I had enough light to bring out the color in a red tiger lotus. Turns out I do.

The other bulb is still small. It's getting shaded by my big Crypt. Tropica so it doesn't get nearly as much light. If the other wasn't N. pubescens, I guess it could be anything.

Now I've just got to figure out what to do since the RTL gets way bigger than the dwarf lily I thought I had.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
ktownhero
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Pretty cool tank! I just started my 29g, still cycling... I currently have a large variety of stems with some Crypt Wendtii (bronze) and Lutea. I have a lot of planting left to do yet I feel like I'm already running out of room! lol.

Did you plan this all out or did you just sort of gather plants along the journey? That's what I'm trying to do.
ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
bonaparte
Algae Grower

I had no plan at all, kth, other than I knew that I wanted plants. I have a buddy with a real nice planted tank so I just took some cues from him and dove in.

Now that I know more than nothing, I'm going back and doing a little planning after the fact. I'm going to ditch my water sprite for some other reed plant that gets less ratty and I'm going to remove a couple of the rocks to make room for more plants. Once they're established and sucking nitrates, I'm going to overstock the tank a little.

Just a little.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
bonaparte
Algae Grower

Live and learn. I yanked out some of the rocks to make room for more plants: Ludwigia Ovalis, Alternanthera reineckii and Bacopa caroliniana.

I rolled the dice on those first two, knowing that they like light on the moderate/high side as opposed to my moderate/low side. They could be doing a lot better. I figured that since my Rotala Nanjenshan (spelling?) is doing okay that those two might too. I was wrong. Plus, it turns out that Amanos have a taste for Alternanthera. Chewed up is not a good look for that plant.

The Bacopa looks okay, though.

Here's my dilemma: assuming that I'm going to replace the Ludwigia and the Alernanthera, almost everything in my tank is light green. I need some low light or moderate/low light plants that will bust up the color monotony.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #13
nblack4
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

i have a melon sword in my 29 gallon and it is doing just fine under lower light conditions (1.6 wpg -- t5ho 48 watts )

it has a purplish-red-green look to it and would probably be what you were looking for to bread up the monotony. mine is not as vivid as this plant but here is a general idea of what the melon sword looks like: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-low-tech.html

there are a few different types on the google search that i've noticed so i'm guessing there are different species, or some kind of variety in co2 levels or iron? not sure.. hope this didn't waste your time
nblack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #14
TwoStrokeKing
Planted Member

Very nice!

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
TwoStrokeKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblack4 View Post
i have a melon sword in my 29 gallon and it is doing just fine under lower light conditions (1.6 wpg -- t5ho 48 watts
those are not low light conditions in a 29 gallon tank. 1 bulb of t5ho 20 inches from the substrate would give you medium light, two bulbs would be high to very high light.

the watts per gallon rule doesn;t really work with the new types of light available today.

check out this thread for info on par.

any updated pics bonaparte? i'd like to see how its coming along!
daverock1337 is offline   Reply With Quote