Is this a guys only forum? - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #91
wetgreenthumb
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Dang, I wish I'd known of that before I had it all chopped off. It was down about my mid-back and stayed there for at least ten years. Never would get any longer.
That means you had probably reached your terminal length or was cutting it more than it was growing, so it looked like it wasn't. I am growing mine long...at least to mid back/boobie (can I say that) length. I am greying some now so I have to treat it differently. That website really helped me learn how to take care of my baby-fine hair. Very encouraging if you ever want to grow it out again..
wetgreenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 08:50 PM   #92
wetgreenthumb
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frmrreefr
So what happens if you're a transvestite? Ok sorry I couldn't resist..... GUESS WHAT GENDER I AM!
Uhm, if I had to guess I'd say your a guy!!! Oh, and I'm with Buck on his reply....I know I'm horrible....but I was raised in the south...what can I say. I'm a southern belle....
wetgreenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:29 AM   #93
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Its not a southern thing, I was raised in the NorthEast and its still a rose by any other name.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #94
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetgreenthumb
That means you had probably reached your terminal length or was cutting it more than it was growing, so it looked like it wasn't. I am growing mine long...at least to mid back/boobie (can I say that) length. I am greying some now so I have to treat it differently. That website really helped me learn how to take care of my baby-fine hair. Very encouraging if you ever want to grow it out again..
Terminal length probably as it took almost ten years to get it that long! Definitely wasn't getting cut more than it was growing as I think I only had it trimmed 2-3 times in all that space of time. Just finally came to the conclusion that I was NOT going to have hair like Crystal Gayle and got it chopped. Think a lot of it was I just don't have the patience to take much time with my hair so that a lot of it was getting broken off. It is shorter than I want though (we're talking nape of neck here) and I think I would like it at about shoulder length. Of course with me that means a couple of years at least. Maybe in time for my half-century b-day .

BTW, my hair, too, is very fine. I tried to get my sister to french braid it one time many years ago and she finally gave up with the exclamation that "This is like trying to braid spider silk!" Just to give you an idea .

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #95
FISA
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)

Damn Rex...you are still young....

I was thinking you were retired and 68 too....

Dont kill me now........the only reason I thought that is cuz you seem grumpy at time

FISA takes of running now...

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
FISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #96
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Default too far off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Terminal length probably as it took almost ten years to get it that long! Definitely wasn't getting cut more than it was growing as I think I only had it trimmed 2-3 times in all that space of time.
(yawn) Sorry, but this is why I prefer gender-less forums. Discussing the lenght of your hair and it's weight and styling is too, too boring. This happened at the last dinner party I went to, the women divided off and started talking about hairstyles. Somehow I got stuck in a chair in that group and the other table was all taken. Tragically dull, IMO.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #97
wetgreenthumb
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
(yawn) Sorry, but this is why I prefer gender-less forums. Discussing the lenght of your hair and it's weight and styling is too, too boring. This happened at the last dinner party I went to, the women divided off and started talking about hairstyles. Somehow I got stuck in a chair in that group and the other table was all taken. Tragically dull, IMO.
Yep, good thing this is the lounge where we can talk about whatever we want. I know what you mean though, my eyes glaze over when guys go on and on about certain sport stats like hockey and golf (not football though). You actually prove my point that generally men and women discuss things differently. I do not know many women in real life that like planted tanks, sports cars, football, beer etc. But I know a lot that talk about hair, baking etc. I'm lucky enough to be able to have a good conversation no matter which table I get stuck at....football or hair....I'm on it!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:14 AM   #98
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
I do not know many women in real life that like planted tanks
LOL... dont feel badly , my male buddies dont understand my passion for the hobby either.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #99
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Quote:
Yep, good thing this is the lounge where we can talk about whatever we want. I know what you mean though, my eyes glaze over when guys go on and on about certain sport stats like hockey and golf (not football though). You actually prove my point that generally men and women discuss things differently. I do not know many women in real life that like planted tanks, sports cars, football, beer etc. But I know a lot that talk about hair, baking etc. I'm lucky enough to be able to have a good conversation no matter which table I get stuck at....football or hair....I'm on it!
Generally it depends on the company you keep. For instance NONE of my female friends are the type to talk about hair beyond complimenting on a change in hairstyle, and we're just as likely to be talking about computer games or in the case of my sister and myself what's the latest tool we got and what our current project is or our gardening as gardening is a big thing with us. The last time I was at a party at their house I cruised through a conversation (about 1/2 and 1/2 female/male) that was gun oriented (we're all keeping our communities safe for democracy) as they have a right collection.

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:36 AM   #100
thegirlundertherainbow
Planted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thegirlundertherainbow
Default <not a guy

Not a girly girl either.. no offense.
I get paid to dig in the dirt now..come on
thegirlundertherainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:01 AM   #101
figgy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Gee,

What's it take?! Someone just posted an answer to a thread I put up who assumed I was a guy. I'd thought I was obvious. My CO2 generator is a "CO2 Thingey", I insist on pale maple trim for my tank, I have five tiny doggies, my name is FIGGY, and get that avatar....

Did anyone hear about that prof who's in so much trouble at Harvard [I think] for saying women weren't entering the sciences?--he said he tried to raise his daughter in a "gender-neutral" way. She had two toy trucks. He gave up when he noticed her naming the big one "The Mommy Truck" and the little one "The Baby Truck"!

I am, however, a chemist.....

Figgygirl
figgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:34 AM   #102
TINNGG
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgy
Gee,

What's it take?! Someone just posted an answer to a thread I put up who assumed I was a guy. I'd thought I was obvious. My CO2 generator is a "CO2 Thingey", I insist on pale maple trim for my tank, I have five tiny doggies, my name is FIGGY, and get that avatar....
Figgygirl
LOL! I don't know as I'd necessarily assume anything based on an avatar - a girl in a mostly fish forum had someone assume she was a he because she had an avatar of some guy. I guess he's a member of a band she likes.

My co2 generator gets referred to as a bottle - as in, "that ?$#!@ bottle is losing co2 around the tubing again!"

I'm inclined to think the reason has more to do with the constant media bombardment of the idea that a woman must be *perfect*. Perfect flowerbeds, perfect house, perfect kids, perfect job, perfect meals, perfect err person... The aquarium seems to be one of the few things a woman can maintain that most of the masses, being so unexposed to it, that just having a 120 with 3 large orandas and a bubbling castle is impressive (especially if the water's clean )

I may be wrong, but that's my take on why women seem well represented on fish boards but seem to hide on plant boards. Fer sure, the standards of perfection I've seen expected here and another plant board make me feel inadequate. At the same time, knowing how much of a maintenance headache a hi-tech tank is (had a reef once. once.), I refuse to go that route just because everyone says so. Then again, that might be the rebel in me.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:03 AM   #103
uncskainch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to uncskainch Send a message via MSN to uncskainch Send a message via Yahoo to uncskainch

Quote:
I do not know many women in real life that like planted tanks, sports cars, football, beer etc. But I know a lot that talk about hair, baking etc.!
I'm new to the forum, and female but wanted to chime in that I'm a rabid NFL and college hoops fan, my husband and I brew our own beer, and I'd love an early 70s Corvette to restore....but I can also hold my own in conversations about knitting, making a perfect buttercream icing, cross stitch, and various other traditionally-female interests.

I'm really enjoying the diversity on the forum, and the wonderful advise. My tank is thankful for all the men and women here!
uncskainch is offline   Reply With Quote