Is this a guys only forum? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-15-2005, 03:07 AM   #16
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Corollaries, I had to look that up.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2005, 03:13 AM   #17
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I always thought you tell by the Avatar, but I guess thats not true cause that Tejas Avatar threw me off.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:27 AM   #18
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default gender, what gender, part 2

OK, I'll give it a shot...

A gal is more likely to consider what the fish are thinking and feeling. Or maybe not.
A gal is not eager to start dumping chemicals and electrical equipment into the tank. Or maybe not.
A gal is more frugal with the hobby since there are no bragging rights from spending money on equipment among her friends. Or maybe not.
A gal is generally soft spoken about giving advice and typically does not cite great experience with an issue, even if she has great experience with that issue, though she will mention it if challenged. Or maybe not.
And a gal will try to dissarm a fight or just stop responding to a jerk without getting into a "war of words". Or maybe not.

Now, I will say again that it is often very hard to tell gender here unless a poster mentions something specific that makes it obvious. Just because someone is hesitant to gut a light and rewire it does not mean anything by itself. But, eventually the clues start to add up and I find that a poster takes on a "voice" that is male or female. I've found out that I was wrong a lot of times, but that may be that I assume male by default, or it may be that some women conciously try to post in a gender neutral manner. Or maybe a computer based fish forum only attracts women who are non-traditional in some way already and so they are not so obviously feminine in their posts. I dunno.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #19
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

LOL... I tend to agree (By the way anona, I changed your wording a bit as I do not play favorites by gender either... (P****** Contest ?) now reads a "war of words)

A gal is more likely to consider what the fish are thinking and feeling. YUP
A gal is not eager to start dumping chemicals and electrical equipment into the tank. Agreed
A gal is more frugal with the hobby since there are no bragging rights from spending money on equipment among her friends. I dont think its bragging rights , its more about common sense...my wife keeps me from the poor house
A gal is generally soft spoken about giving advice and typically does not cite great experience with an issue, even if she has great experience with that issue, though she will mention it if challenged.
And a gal will try to dissarm a fight or just stop responding to a jerk without getting into a "war of words". Or maybe not.

The last two I think are due to the fact that women are by nature "generally" non-confrontational by nature.

But, eventually the clues start to add up and I find that a poster takes on a "voice" that is male or female. I usually cant tell gender but I sure can tell the age at times.

Disclaimer ~~This does not apply to all so dont get mad at me !
Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #20
Piscesgirl
Planted Member

Well, since I make sure to put 'girl' in my name, I think my gender is pretty clear :P

But, why does it matter? I sure hope folks aren't using a fish board to 'hook' up with. haha. Ok maybe that wasn't so funny :P
Old 01-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #21
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
I sure hope folks aren't using a fish board to 'hook' up with.
You can be sure that Buck is on the job and will make sure that this dont turn into the dating game.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #22
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

LOL, pisces.

If they're on the forums for that, then there are other issues at hand.

I've found this board to have a very diverse bunch of people and like it for what it has to offer. The thought of whether the person is male or female is irrelevant, unless it is stated by the poster, then the suggestions might differ.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #23
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Don't take this as a negative spin, but I think most of those quotes are close to correct, the other side of coin might be stated as:
A guy only needs one pair of shoes, so we spend more on tanks.
A guy doesn't buy purses (hopefully), so we can afford tech gadgets.
Although I guy does need money for his Harley, gals maybe, maybe not.

Sorry, but I've been married for 20 years and my wifes shoe collection rivals the collection of Amelda Marcos. I on the other hand have 1 pair of work boots, 1 pr of Harley boots, and 1 pr of tennis shoes, but I do get to sit on the front of the bike so I'd say I'm glad we have the trade off.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #24
Cord
Algae Grower

I'm a female (though by no means a lady ), and just happen to be studying feminist theory... so this entire thread is quite interesting.
I've often wondered why it seems that there are so many males on this site. I was a member of another fish forum and there were obviously quite a lot of females there. However, there was also a lot of flirting on that site and I think that caused most everyone to identify their sex/gender.
Cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #25
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i enjoy reading threads where i can see people's non-fishy side. i think that it gives a new deminsion to thier posts. one book i recently read said, not in so many words, that a reader feels that s/he knows the author intimately even when they have never spoken to or seen each other; it's as if writing is an act of friendship in itself and a direct conversation with the reader.
i know that i have had that same feeling here, even though i have had only fragmented conversations with most posters here. i mean that as a compliment because there are many forums wherein i feel like an 'outsider' always.
so, be there more men, women or chacarins here, we are doing something right as a community.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #26
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Hear! Hear! Well said Kris!
Old 01-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #27
Barbels
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
There are more ladies here at the forum then many of you know which is why I am always harping on the language and sometimes the "bar room " descriptions of situations that I read...

There are also quite a few younger folks in here then most know as well. Thats what makes it such a special place, Its because we have men , women , young people , old people... (like Rex ) and they are from all over the world.

Thats why if we (or I ) seem harsh at times it is for a good reason.
Aww. That's sweet. And I sincerely appreciate it, Buck. Keep up the good work.
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Barbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:58 PM   #28
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cord
I've often wondered why it seems that there are so many males on this site...
I think there are a lot more women here than we all realize. People usually seem to make the assumption that posters are men -- I've been called "dude" myself enough times, and I've also seen other posters (who I know from previous posts to be women) referred to as men. I'm guilty of this too (not the calling myself "dude", but the assumption about gender).

Quote:
I'm a female (though by no means a lady )
Dude! Me too!

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #29
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

my 2 cents...so I warned and kept warning my GF to NOT name her fish....so she waits 2 months and then names a couple of them...a really FAT white cloud named "Bruce" and "Buddy 2" the Betta.

She got so attached to her betta she put him in the little plastic cup he was in when we got him and put him in the cup holder for the 14 hour drive from Lubbock Texas to Tuscaloosa Alabama for Christmas break! sheesh. (She also brought his home with about 1/3 of the water in it (2.5 g planted hex).

She's also named my gigantic neon tetra "other Bruce" since he's fat and cranky (shredded fins since he gets in sparring wars with the others so much).

By the ways, she mentioned she'd probably cry if Buddy dies. I told her we should just put it in the freezer...or put him in a box...cremate him and spread his ashes over the tank....
Old 01-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #30
questnjurny
Algae Grower

'Nother girl here! Lady? Hmm maybe not. I tend to spend my money on my dogs first...agility and dog shows cost a lot!....and then my fish. Right now all the tanks are full, so not much outgoing in the fish department. Tuition and books...that is paid with teh left over. LOL!

I too, find it hard to tell if the poster is male or female, but generally it doesnt' matter. Sometimes, when I think someone is one or the otehr then they post something that tells me otherwise and it takes a bit to get my head wrapped around it! I have to come here and talk fish because none of my friends understand my wierd fish obsession...I have dog boards that I go to to talk dogs, but I also have friends in teh "dog world" so that helps too!

Georgiadawgger...I have a few named fish. My two oscars, and my betta, who came with his name. and yep, I think if you name them, you get much more attached. It will be a very sad day in 11 years or so when I lose Marlin and Coral (the O's)...I have only had them less than a year adn I love those silly fools! I really enjoy the other fish, but they are just fish...they don't have the personalities of the others.
questnjurny is offline   Reply With Quote