Non planted tanks?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
sjuapseorn
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Non planted tanks?

Hey do any of you guys have non planted tanks?

I just recently moved the Oscar at school from a 15gallon (holy crap right) to a 39 gallon Bowfront that was donated by a student. The only thing is we don't have any live plants in the tank.. just the fake crap that you can buy at walmart

ps.. how many ghost shrimp can an oscar eat in a day? I was thkning about hooking him up with some real food but I don't want to get like 100 ghosts and have him gorge himself to death in one go.. LOL

Also if I get some duckweed will he eat it? or will it just sit in the tank and multiply over and over again??

*pix below*

sjuapseorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

that is a really pretty oscar. i used to help maintain a 180 gallon cichlid tank. wish i had some pics of it.
daverock1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
sjuapseorn
Planted Member

You know I thought I killed him when i first moved him over.. he thrashed and splashed so much when I was netting him that I think he almost gave himself a heart attack.

As for the tank.. I don't maintain it. someone else does. If I had much of any say in the matter this tank would not have 1 piece of plastic/silk or anything non living resembling a plant in it..

He's spoiled though.. the only thing he will eat is the floating orange Cichlid pellets from petsmart. If he was mine he'd be eating flakes, bloodworms, and ghost shrimp (once per week)..

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't want to see these hateful tetra in my 29 gallon get eaten I would get me one for my tank here at home.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
llb30
Algae Grower

that is a beautiful Oscar but he is going to need at least a 55 gallon tank. they get between 12-14 inches long. MonsterFishKeeper.com is an awesome site were you can get great info on him. I have a lone Oscar in a 110 gallons. he is already 6in and I've only had him for about 4 months.....they grow FAST! lol

Good luck with your Oscar....and you might want to research hole in the head if you are going to keep him in the tank.
llb30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
reignOfFred
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sure, I had non planted tanks for years. Rock reef setups for Rift Lake cichlids, a 75g Oscar tank when I was young and a single big fish still seemed like a good idea, and some larger new world cichlid setups which included fish like silver dollars that made keeping plants a real pain.
reignOfFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
sjuapseorn
Planted Member

Man.. that sucks!

This oscar spent most of his life in a 15 gallon tank. He was donated to us in the 15 gal by a former student who didn't want him any more. I'm pretty sure he's not going to get any bigger than this since he's been in that 15 for atleast 1.5 years. I've been on this campus for over a year and he's been here the whole time.

He sure does look alot happier and brighter colored than he did. I don't know if it's the light or what but these pics dont' do him justice. His orange is almost fluorescent.

SJ
Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Ben.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Pretty fish, I grew up with goldfish and colorful gravel, so those were all unplanted.
Ben. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Safez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

He will outgrow that 35 in about 6 months to a year.

When you take an oscar from tank to tank you don't chase them around and pussyfoot with nets... it's very easy to scoop them out with your hands and causes less stress. It's like handling a snake, no sudden movements
Safez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
sjuapseorn
Planted Member

I hope he doesn't because he'll be stuck in that tank from now on. Like I said I don't have any control over the tank or conditions of the tank. I just got stuck with the work this week.

I would rather see him in a 120 gallon myself but we don't have room for that kind of tank here. Plus there's no one who could take care of a tank that size
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
ktownhero
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's one of the, if not the, prettiest Oscars I've ever seen. What fantastic coloring!

I kept an Oscar when I was a teenager, and other than the fact that he can't get out and walk around he felt like having a dog. Such intelligence and personality on those fish; he wouldn't let anybody else feed him but me. If my Mom would try to feed him he would ram the glass lol! Unfortunately, he died of hole in the head.

That was, geez, a good 15 years ago or so. Truly a fish I could never forget and I do hope to keep one (or more) one day again, but you really do need a 55 gallon + tank for them. Honestly, I don't even think 55 gallon is big enough. Where is your school? Maybe we can get a board member to make a tank donation :P
ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote