Best aquatic plant store in cinci?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Ohio

Old 03-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Palmed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best aquatic plant store in cinci?

Anyone know good LFS that carry a good supply of aquatic plants? I am just looking for a variety to fill in a few tanks and I have been disappointed with the stores I have been to.

Thanks.
Palmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
etgregoire
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've been using Monfort Aquarium. They are the best one that I've found. There are some others here and there that specialize in other things (discus or maintenance/service, for example) but they're the only place that is well rounded. 6520 Colerain Avenue

They're also friendly and helpful and I think they take good care of their livestock. I like to support them.
etgregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Palmed
Algae Grower

I also use Monfort on occasion. I dont live too close but it is still a good store. Have you been to Aquatic and Exotics? They are only opened limited days and havent made it there yet. Do they have aquatic plants?
Palmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Java Moss
Planted Member

Absolutely, go to Monfort on Colerain Avenue.

Good people who know the trade and some of the best condition plants I've seen in any LFS in Ohio - Cincinnati and Cleveland combined.

They don't have an enormous amount of plant, but they sure don't disappoint either. Most of them are lo-main - anubias, ferns, mosses, swords, etc.

Plus, they're the only place in Ohio I've been to that keep their bettas properly - separated in tanks, rather than those pitiful cups.

Stop by there. You won't be sorry.
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Java Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
MoeBetta
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

+1 On monfort, they have the healthiest fish I've seen in the area.

**I live two minutes from another well liked LFS, but I will drive across town to go to Monfort if I'm buying anything living. Their customer service is great too, the guys are actually friendly, and while the quality of the fish comes first, that's nice too.

Also, they have the only real selection of plants in the area. From what I understand A&E intends to expand back into plants after Jason finishes remodeling, so that may be another option.
MoeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
Java Moss
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBetta View Post
+1 On monfort, they have the healthiest fish I've seen in the area.

**I live two minutes from another well liked LFS, but I will drive across town to go to Monfort if I'm buying anything living. Their customer service is great too, the guys are actually friendly, and while the quality of the fish comes first, that's nice too.

Also, they have the only real selection of plants in the area. From what I understand A&E intends to expand back into plants after Jason finishes remodeling, so that may be another option.
A&E? Where's that? Former Colerain area native here...and you know us West siders - anything east of 75 is considered world travel.
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Java Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #7
MoeBetta
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Aquatics & Exotics in Mt Healthy
MoeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
bandman

Default I like Sweet Aquatics in Hamilton

For plants I have had very good experiences (and received great prices) from sweetaquatics.com. They are located in Hamilton and will let you come to their house and select plants on site. Almost all of my plants have come from them and I will most definitely go back in the future!

EDIT:I just was on their website and saw they moved to Alabama. Now I am seriously sad-I loved picking plants out there and getting great deals as well.

Last edited by bandman; 06-19-2011 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: Update info
bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
horseladys_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandman View Post
For plants I have had very good experiences (and received great prices) from sweetaquatics.com. They are located in Hamilton and will let you come to their house and select plants on site. Almost all of my plants have come from them and I will most definitely go back in the future!

EDIT:I just was on their website and saw they moved to Alabama. Now I am seriously sad-I loved picking plants out there and getting great deals as well.

SA has been having a lot of issues since the move.. Many people do not get their orders for at least 2 weeks, if not more, if ever... i ordered 66 bucks worth of plants.... she has not sent them, would not email me until i finally threatened to cancel order only to say that she was not shipping on monday due to thanksgiving. i asked that she cancel my order and refund my money.... no response. I now have pay pal looking into it. I'm about mad as a red hen over it... Their website still says "hamilton Ohio" on their banner.... i found it pretty misleading considering that i bought from them mainly because they were in OH and I wanted to support local biz, and two that I thought the plants would get here before thanksgiving... NOPE... so she still has my money, and i have the plants from aquariumplants.com... so i don't want her plants i just want my money back....
horseladys_angel is offline   Reply With Quote