Is pearling important? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 AM   #16
Montbars
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a theory about pearling.
Plants release oxygen during daytime, and the visible "pearling" bubbles seem to always appear after a good trim.
IMO, this is why everyone loves riccia for pearling--it does it on its own, but riccia inherently necessitates trimming because it grows so fast. Trim almost any plants, and the o2 will bubble out of the severed area like its bleeding oxygen. Again, I think plants always pearl, but pearl most once you have trimmed them (Anacharis is another perfect example of a good pearler)
Montbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #17
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montbars View Post
I have a theory about pearling.
Plants release oxygen during daytime, and the visible "pearling" bubbles seem to always appear after a good trim.
IMO, this is why everyone loves riccia for pearling--it does it on its own, but riccia inherently necessitates trimming because it grows so fast. Trim almost any plants, and the o2 will bubble out of the severed area like its bleeding oxygen. Again, I think plants always pearl, but pearl most once you have trimmed them (Anacharis is another perfect example of a good pearler)
I've noticed this as well, but the pearling the others are referring to is when the water in the tank is saturated with oxygen and no more can be diffused. The oxygen appears as tiny bubbles all over the plants. Stuff like Riccia and HC do this awesomely.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
Montbars
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincgdick View Post
I've noticed this as well, but the pearling the others are referring to is when the water in the tank is saturated with oxygen and no more can be diffused. The oxygen appears as tiny bubbles all over the plants. Stuff like Riccia and HC do this awesomely.
Yes, but when the tank becomes saturated with oxygen, isn't this due in part to the respiration of the plants? I always assumed riccia respirated the oxygen out, and before the bubbles float up they are still stuck to the plant...which is why I always thought they released oxygen more freely when they are freshly cut
Montbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #19
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Is pearling important?
Short answer: No.

If you have a high CO2 level in your tank, and anything above low lighting, there's going to be pearling, but it's much more noticeable under greater lighting. Every plant that I've seen pearls, but fast growing plants often show more extreme bubbling.

Bubbles coming from cut plants is usually referred to as streaming. The plants release whatever gasses are in their tissues via the wound. It really has nothing to do with plant health unless the streaming is out of pinholes caused by lack of nutrients.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #20
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Sharkfood is right, "pearling" is not seen that much in low tech aquariums or with slow growing plants. Higher, faster growth rate produce more active photosynthesis. Plants that normaly grow above water to get C02, need c02 added to the water in order to go thru active photosynthesis.

Why are you doing waterf changes three times a week? Thats really over doing it.

Quote:
Bubbles coming from cut plants is usually referred to as streaming. The plants release whatever gasses are in their tissues via the wound. It really has nothing to do with plant health unless the streaming is out of pinholes caused by lack of nutrients.
Thats partially true. Plants do release oxygen from tissue from a tissue wound, but also release oxygen from perfectly healthy leaves and roots, and the process is reffered to as "pearling" In ponds these plants are called oxygenators. These are stem plants that grow quickly under water and "pearl" easily and profusely.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 AM   #21
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaparte View Post
Well, I kinda thought so too, but the pros at my LFS and a general tank maintenance book I picked up both said that frequent, smaller water changes are more beneficial to the tank's ecosystem than less frequent (1X/week) changes of 25% or so.

What do the pros here say about this? (Is there a water change thread?)

I asked that question here.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...r-changes.html
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Mine started to pearl after I up the co2 a bit.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #23
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarossa4122 View Post
Mine started to pearl after I up the co2 a bit.
I had been worried about this for months in my tank, and then I jettisoned the glass CO2 diffuser and bought a GLA atomic. Night/Day. The difference was almost immediate. With the same bubble count, all of my plants were suddenly pearling like mad. Not just the riccia or HC, but everything. Before the switch, my HC was really browning, and I couldn't tell if this was just excessive diatoms or a die off, but it made a miraculous recovery in about a week.

Archaea also makes a similar diffuser, and they are great investments IMHO. Can't go wrong with either one for fine bubbles and CO2 saturation. The glass diffusers might be a little bit overrated, and you have to bleach them too often.
youjettisonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #24
jnatelborg54@gmail.com
Algae Grower

I just installed co2 injection and my plants are really pearling. They never did that before. I hope that this is a good thing.
jnatelborg54@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #25
Bear Sage
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

When I used tap it was exquisitely hard, very high KH everything pearled. Now I RO my water and dose KH/GH, almost no pearling tons of growth though.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

pearling is largely afected by flow as well
too much flow and you will never see the bubbles as they will be dissolved more efficiently

in a fast growing system with high flow, turn off a filter for 2 minutes and see what happens. bubbles will be everywhere.. covering leaves and in some cases even the stems of softer stemmed plants such as bacopa
Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I agree that pearling is cool, but not a must for a healthy tank.

You mention that your watersprite isn't doing well, and that you're dosing excel - I've read that watersprite and a few other kinds of plants tend to melt from excel, and my own experiences bear this out. I've never actually killed a plant with it, but I don't dose regularly either.
MrBrongher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
chicken
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I love the look of pearling, but agree with others who have said that the lack of pearling is nothing to worry about.

As far as water changing goes, you'll hear lots of opinions. I'm a big believer in large weekly water changes (anywhere from 30-75%, depending on the tank and how much time I have), and my plants and fish seem to do quite well with that. I have known some people keeping sensitive fish or shrimp that prefer to do small water changes 2-3x a week. Some people set up automatic water changing systems on their tanks that change a small amount daily.

There's no one right way to do this (although I will admit that I cringe at reports of people who *never* change water!). If you are happy with your current water changing schedule, there's no need to alter it. But if you'd rather change a larger amount weekly, that would probably work fine too.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

The only times I see massive pearling are after a water change and if I turn off all water flow after the lights have been on for an hour or two. Otherwise most of the bubbles just get swept into the current before they accumulate to make larger bubbles.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #30
oscarsx
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)

I used to be worried also about my plants not pearling.. the growth was awesome.. It's just eye candy for me, as long as growth is good and no plants are dying, I'm good with that.

oscarsx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearling