Plants induce algae or reduce algae??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-17-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
calico

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi,

Quick question...I'm deciding between setting up a planted tank or a non-planted tank. Assuming I have no algae growth in my non-planted tank, will the addition of plants induce or introduce algae to my system? I am curious because in my previous 10 gal. once I put some anacharis in, algae became a big problem. Prior to that, I had no algae. If I treat the plants first with some K-permanganate, will that kill the algae on the plant? Does anyone else have a successful planted Eclipse 6 system? I'd like to ask you about lighting, presence of a Bio-wheel, carbon filter, etc. Where can i get substrate that won't cloud my water? Is having root tabs sufficient with no substrate? Argh, so many questions!!! Thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

If your tank is good for plants then it's good for algae also. The trick is to get the plants growing good then they'll out compete the algae for nutrients.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 07:52 PM   #3
calico

But if I don't let any algae into the system, I can avoid the problem all together right? Can't I treat all the plants prior to putting them into the tank? I've heard bleach can do the trick...
Old 04-17-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Algae is in the air you breathe. There's no way to keep it out of your tank. Sorry.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:43 PM   #5
Jon.D
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Jon.D

So if algae is in the air we breath,why not go ahead and put some plants in youre tank. Sounds to me Calico that you have low lighting. I personally would stick some java fern and a anubias in there. You might get a little algae at first but it should go away.And you can always buy and algae eating fish to help out. Sword tails work good for that.so do s.a.e and c.a.e. A planted tank is the only way to go...........