My dog eats poop:(
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-12-2005, 01:43 AM   #1
Barbels
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

My dog eats poop:(

Other than a good, stiff lead injection, does anyone know of a good deterrent?
He eats his own poop and he's not too picky to enjoy our other dog's Tootsie Rolls, too.
I've tried Forbid and Distaste from Drs.F&S, but they don't do a bit of good.
Please lemme know if you have any advice.
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Barbels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 02:12 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Hmmm...

I think you may need to touch base with the vet on this one. Other animal's seems about right for a nutty dog, but his own?

I'd call the vet.

Mike
Old 01-12-2005, 02:23 AM   #3
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

it's completely normal, but gross. there are two things i have heard about this: 1) they are making up for a lack a minerals in their own food/diet
2) they are eating it to get it out of their territory.

there are additives that you can put into their food (or maybe onto their poop) that discourages this habit. lots and lots of chapters in dog obedience books have been devoted to this subject. the one that i have most recently finished is: dogs behaving badly and it is a chapter titled with a latin word.

try breath mints for the pooch in the meantime!

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
questnjurny
Algae Grower

Most vets wont' do much but give you Forbid, but yours may be different, so give him/her a call for sure! How old is your dog? I would say about 50% of puppies eat poop, and most grow out of it. 3 of our last 4 dogs ate poop, 1 has completely grown out of it, the other 2 would go through the odd phase where they would eat it as an adult, but that may have had to do with what the other dog got into that day etc....I am not sure if any of them have eaten their own, I never really looked to see who's poop they were eating! Anyways, the very very best way to make it stop, is to clean it up as soon as they go. Yes, that means going out everytime your dog goes out and picking it up. Another thing you can try is if you can see your whole yard from the back door, stand and wait for him to go, then *as soon* as he is finished, call him to you and give him a treat. He will get used to coming to you for that treat after he poops...you have to remain consistant for this to work and do it every single time (like any kind of training). You could try shaking a shaker can when you see him do it, then call him when he stops, and reward when he comes to you (you are rewarding him coming, not eating the poop...he will have forgotton he was eating poop by the time he gets to you).

Another thing to look at is what he is eating. If he is on a high quality kibble, it isn't a nutritional deficit, however if he is on something from Wal-Mart, the grocery store etc, he might be lacking in some nutrient and it would be a good idea to switch him to a better quality food. Does he get table scraps? Maybe they still smell good the "second time around". Table scraps add nothing to his diet, so you can cut those out completely. It was interesting with my dogs...when Quest was a puppy she got Nutro L/R. She ate her poop. As she got older she was taken off puppy food adn put on chicken/rice as she developed an allergy to lamb (lesson learned, never feed L/R unless necessary!), and stopped eating poop. When we got the Vizsla he was also on Nutro L/R from the breeder. Quest ate his poop. When we switched his food a few weeks later, she stopped eating his poop. Obviously something in the food when it came back out was appetizing to her. So, maybe even if he is getting a good quality food, try one with a different protein base and see if that helps.

If you feed raw, then you might be missing a key nutrient and may want to reevaluate your diet, or talk to your vet about it. I can't say much on it, as I dont' feed raw.

Other thing, maybe he is just bored. How much exercise does he get? what type of dog is he? If he is a sporting/herding/hound breed he needs LOTS of off leash exercise, not jsut a stroll down the street on a lead.

Anyways, maybe a little more info and we could help you narrow it down a little or pinpoint some things to try.
questnjurny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 03:23 AM   #5
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quite frankly, anyone who feeds "Ol Roy" to their animals is an animal !

Bobdog endorses Science Diet and Culvers bacon cheese burgers (no pickles).
Old 01-12-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

I don't actually have any good advice, I just wanted to say HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Other dogs tootsie rolls.....ROFL!!! If I could get my dog to eat his own poop, I would have like a perpetual recycling machine! I would just throw some vitamins into it once in a while and I'd never have to buy dog food again!
-Aphyosemion
Old 01-12-2005, 05:28 AM   #7
questnjurny
Algae Grower

And hope that you have a dog that doesn't like to lick ya!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:45 AM   #8
Barbels
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion
If I could get my dog to eat his own poop, I would have like a perpetual recycling machine! I would just throw some vitamins into it once in a while and I'd never have to buy dog food again! -Aphyosemion
YUKYUK, that's looking at the bright side.
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Barbels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 AM   #9
bigpow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'd be wary if I were you, especially if this is an old dog.
Our family dog was like this a year before it passed away. I think it was caused by serious nutrient absorbtion problem (most likely because of old age).
Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
bigpow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 08:25 AM   #10
badren
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default pepper!!!

spike his poop w/ some hot sauce or cayenne pepper
he'll learn quick, unless he likes punishment and heartburn
badren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #11
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've had some dogs grow out of it, and some that never give up the nasty habit. Do some research on the web and you'll find it's quite common. If your dog is a puppy, you've got a good shot at training them off of it. Unfortunately, the best way to do it is simply to catch them doing it and scold them. Soon enough, their desire to eat it will be overcome with their desire to please you.
It worked for our now poop-free Boston Terrier pup. We didn't use any of the chemicals or aids, either.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #12
imnappy2
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to imnappy2

I agree with the nutrients and also smell of what the other dog may have eaten. We feed our dogs Pro Plan and have never had them eat their own tootsie rolls. However, they are hunting dogs and one of them if it ever walks across a little deer droppings likes to have a little snack. But she must know she isnt supposed to do that because she grabs a few and puts em down and if she is seen a scold is right after it, and she is off on her way hunting again.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:05 AM   #13
critrcrazy
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to critrcrazy Send a message via Yahoo to critrcrazy

At the clinic where I work, our vet recommends Forbid...but, like you said, it doesnt always work. We've got some dogs that board with us that like 'tootsie rolls' too, and the owner swears she broke them by sprinkling meat tenderizer over their food - I've heard of this before, but not sure of how much you should use. Maybe that would help ?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 AM   #14
questnjurny
Algae Grower

I guess I don't understand why if you go all the way out there and sprinkle the poop with whatever aid...why wouldn't you just pick it up? That way the yard is poop free, adn your dog didnt' eat it!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:30 AM   #15
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The idea is to break them of the habit period. You don't want your pet eating another animals waste is an excellent way to pick up diseases, worms especially.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.