Stainless 2 story (56K warning) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by night9eyes View Post
You DO stay busy! In my estimation, "jack of all trades" have the advantage. . .they don't have to hire someone to do the work for them (like we just did to have a stand and canopy built for my 90 gallon)

So, planning to keep more angels in the new tank?
silly Q for this house LOL yes to angels and they are here already. Peas from Carol on Jan 2 need new digs now that they are quarters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
I think you're having way too much fun. Great job. Looks great!
your very kind and yes I am
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)

Last edited by wkndracer; 03-22-2011 at 12:54 AM..
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #17
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Reading it three times if you missed anything just ask LOL. (or read it again hehe)
Posting a bunch of pictures make journal threads cool as much as the conversation and information I think. Glad they are big enough for ya to see too.

"dirt tank ordeal"???? dirt is easy (we keep trying to tell ya)

Not planted tank related, but it does envolve getting wet and going fast.
Living up to the name wnkdracer. (This was a DIY project too )
I don't think I like the ants at your house cause they are not nice to ruin your MTS and now I am scared to look in my bucket of mud for critters.

Will you guys come and hold my hand while I pour the mud in the tank this summer? Cause I am scared. Dirt isn't easy. It if were, I'd be done already and it's going on over eight months.

Nice boat! Super sweet. Do you go out a lot? I would sleep on that thing. Oh, and awesome hair! How long have you been growing it? Does your wife tease it and braid it? I do believe you just moved up in my friend list for it, Mike.

Quote:
I read were to you promised nonc a hair pic so here is one of those for ya too.

where did the one for nonc get posted????
In the shack (my 55 gallon journal if you are that interested.) Kara's (Karackle) on there, too. We were cool punk rockers!

Oh, and just because I have an actual question about your journal (can you believe it?): Are you worried about the too bad so sad sand becoming compacted?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #18
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

You posted a Harley, and no info on that puppy!

My ride in 6 months

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #19
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post

In the shack (my 55 gallon journal if you are that interested.) Kara's (Karackle) on there, too. We were cool punk rockers!
Here a stupid pic of me

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Will you guys come and hold my hand while I pour the mud in the tank this summer? Cause I am scared. Dirt isn't easy. It if were, I'd be done already and it's going on over eight months.
Careful what you wish for. My family will be in Maben the week of July 4th. and again for 2 weeks in October.
Quote:
Nice boat! Super sweet. Do you go out a lot? I would sleep on that thing. Oh, and awesome hair! How long have you been growing it? Does your wife tease it and braid it? I do believe you just moved up in my friend list for it, Mike.
Thanks that boat is my pride of the water baby group. We use to go create terror at least once a week but my son is afraid of it so it sits in the back shop most of the time now.
Before my daughter moved to Miami we wore it out LOL

The hair is a story for several reasons. Grown for 10 years the second time and gone again now for good because it almost killed me riding the M2. (VERY Short version, final chapter actually) Riding rural roads at a rather high maintained rate of speed. Honestly guessing 95 or 105 up to 145 just rolling corners (what I call real fun ) Yes I was wearing a helmet and leathers. My ponytail (down to my belt) was tucked into the jacket collar. Turning my head working the corners the hair worked it's way up and out , pulled my head up and back and I almost lost it that day. Locks of Love (hair for cancer kids) got my tail the next week.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I did indeed go look.

Quote:
Oh, and just because I have an actual question about your journal (can you believe it?): Are you worried about the too bad so sad sand becoming compacted?
No because it's just a thin layer covering just the clay and potash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHockey View Post
You posted a Harley, and no info on that puppy!
Yeah I did, kinda on purpose and not LOL posted three actually.
Doing the picks on the stand and tank prep caught my Harley Buell's and on purpose with the WV cabin shot with my son.

Volcanic Blue 1998 M2 Cyclone (like the red boat it's my baby monster killer)
Mikuni flat slide carb, Baker 6 speed tranny pack, european final drive pulley set, S&S Sidewinder Stroker Kit. The cases were sent back to Wisconsin and line bored. The motor is over square at about 92ci (they start stock @72ci) the bike weighs 440lbs.

Volcanic Blue or Red (both body sets) 1999 1203 injected X1 basic stock Buell with aftermarket exhaust and programmable ignition module.

2001 Dyna Super Glide.
95ci factory kit and aftermarket yada yada (long list like the M2)

Might as well more or less finish the list and get it over with.
18' 1977 Raysoncraft flat bottom V drive (another boat) 428fe Ford big block powered with a center squirting Holley.
2004 Honda Rancher 450 w/lift kit, tweaked carb and aftermarket wheel set.
2005 Honda Rubicon 500 still stock.
Those are the current runners and I'm not listing the 'do it yourself kits' in the shop.
The house where we currently hide is 2200sf and my detached shops total 1940sf so my dream of hobby room for projects is reality.
(yes I can stay busy)

haha a post with no pics
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie

Last edited by wkndracer; 03-24-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #21
night9eyes
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
silly Q for this house LOL yes to angels and they are here already. Peas from Carol on Jan 2 need new digs now that they are quarters.

your very kind and yes I am

I know it was silly, I couldn't help myself! It's like me. . .just purchased some from David (Angelfish USA) to add to my stock from Carol! About to set up a 90 gallon for them. Like there will ever be any other "featured fish" in my house too! LOL!!

For now it'll be just 2 tank of angels, but I think my husbands already caught on that this won't be the end of it!

EHEIM #460-- Eheim Pro II 2026
night9eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #22
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Congrat's on another glass box and joining the angel addicted masses.
Now that your getting into better quality fish remember Flubendazole and Levamisole entry treatments and quarantine to protect your 'purdy' fish.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #23
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Really nice stand. Probably my favorite one other than ADA ones.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #24
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Careful what you wish for. My family will be in Maben the week of July 4th. and again for 2 weeks in October.
That's a hop, skip and a jump away. I've been meaning to get down in that area of WV but I am usually more central when we go exploring. By the way, you are more than welcome to come visit. I'd even cook for you and your family a real country dinner. Yeah, I'm that scared of dirt that I am willing to cook.

Quote:
Thanks that boat is my pride of the water baby group. We use to go create terror at least once a week but my son is afraid of it so it sits in the back shop most of the time now.
Before my daughter moved to Miami we wore it out LOL
You're son will hopefully grow out of it. Have you thought about taking him out and going reallllllly slow until he's comfortable? Probably have, but a thought just in case. How many kids do you have, just the two?

Quote:
The hair is a story for several reasons. Grown for 10 years the second time and gone again now for good because it almost killed me riding the M2. (VERY Short version, final chapter actually) Riding rural roads at a rather high maintained rate of speed. Honestly guessing 95 or 105 up to 145 just rolling corners (what I call real fun ) Yes I was wearing a helmet and leathers. My ponytail (down to my belt) was tucked into the jacket collar. Turning my head working the corners the hair worked it's way up and out , pulled my head up and back and I almost lost it that day. Locks of Love (hair for cancer kids) got my tail the next week.
After that, I'd be cutting my hair, too. So you know that I want an updated picture now that you mentioned it, right? Speaking of Locks of Love, I don't share this freely, but I've done this twice now (right after the wedding) and after my grandfather died of cancer. It's a great cause, isn't it? It's something I'll never regret. Did you keep the 'stache?

Oh, and speaking of pictures, will you get some closeups soon of the fish and plants? I want to see more inside the tank now!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #25
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

ahhh, just like a women demanding more,,, plz don't attack I'll post some after I get home from the Dr with the boy. I'll turn him loose with the camera.
(just th two kids, +th big one with all the high price toy's,, I'm winning so far)
Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #26
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Since you are going to post pictures, I'll behave. But I will tell you, be grateful I'm in a good mood....and that I'll agree that I am demanding. Sounds like your wife has three kids, not two. Oh, yeah. I'm supposed to behave.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #27
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Default Confusing night

Nine days flooded and the first full water test was a COMPLETE surprise.
The bad baby wasn't what was expected.

Pretty colors yippie! NOT!

SSTop ((the upper tank) the name for it in my tank tracking spreadsheet) 4 bags of Eco-Complete.
Flooded with straight RO on 3/14 and a full volume change on 3/16.
Set water parameters on 3/19 with the following;
32grams of GLA ultimate booster
4.4grams (1tsp) A&H baking soda.
17ml CSM+B trace mix w/Fe kicker
Excel dosed 15ml
Tank tested tonight.
pH-6.8, NO3-40ppm, PO4-.25, NH3/NH4-0.25ppm , NO2-1.0ppm, 6dGH.
Needless to say huge water change!
Filled capacity on the 55g is 43g actual and I changed 37g with RO.
Reset parameters with 32g GLA booster and 6.7g (1-1/2tsp) BS
Dosing trace will be in the morning.
Seeing Nitrite (NO2) in this tank really surprised me with the seeded sponge and live plants transfered in from the other tanks. I never would have thought that to happen in four days. And not in this tank, the dirt tank yes but not this one with the Eco.

Added 4tsp of salt after the WC to deal with the toxic NO2.
From D. Walstad in 2009;
Nitrite (disscusion of nitrite toxicity in my book, p. 22) should be kept be below 0.01 ppm for chronic effects. A one-time addition of salt (1 level teaspoon uniodized salt per 10 gal) will take care of your nitrite levels quite handily. This salt concentration (about 0.015%) should not hurt plants. To make sure salt gets quickly disbursed in the tank water, I would dissolve the salt in some water and then add the resulting salt solution to the tank.

Done it before,,, did it again.

Mirrors make picture taking fun.

only 7 little fish in the tank.

SSDirt, the lower tank soil substrate tank.
Flooded with the water drained from SSTop on 3/16 and not changed is the quiet tank at the moment.
Eco-Complete had imparted 2dGH and 3dKH leached into the water while in the upper tank. Set water parameters on 3/16 adding only GLA booster, trace and excel;
32grams of GLA ultimate booster
17ml CSM+B trace mix w/Fe kicker
Excel dosed 15ml
Tank tested.
TDS 268ppm, pH-7.4, NO3-<5ppm, PO4-0.5, NH3/NH4-0.25ppm , NO2-0.0ppm, 6dGH, 2.5dKH.

Some dust from the dirt collecting on the filter sponge.

No critters yet.

Last edited by wkndracer; 06-26-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Old 03-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Pretty colors. But really sucky water. Good thing you tested last night so that you could get it under control. Do you think the eco could be causing some of the problems? I've never used it, so I wouldn't know. How are the angels fairing during all this (love the black one up front!)? Did you make that stand for your test kits? I'll take two. I am cracking up about the skull covered with java ferns. I didn't even know what that was in the other pictures. It's impressive.

Also, thanks for the pictures!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Oh such silly questions you ask of me LOL yyyyeeeessss I made it
room additions, remodels, boats, wood and metal tank stands, Plecoware, free standing underware drying racks
you name it we'll figure out how to DIY 'sumten' like it.

How many test tubes do you want it to hold? Next time I'm set up wood working I'll make it up for ya.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #30
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

But what would you all do without my silly questions and banter? (I bet you'd be bored.) Four, I'll gladly give you money for one, send me a pm if you decide to make one (you're awesome). Room additions, eh? I've always been jealous of people like you, lol. Hmm....underware drying racks.....If it's outdoors, you are a WVian at heart.