My amano shrimp just walked out of the tank !! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

A glass lid or mesh top could help out on the fish/shrimp jumping out. Of course your main problem is like what others said, an uncycled tank.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I wish the question of if he is testing the water before or after water changes would be answered. He is changing out water every other day, but you'd think with his bio load he'd still have some ammonia reading in the tank.
wendyjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
zainey_04
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Not to thread jack...but I have a cycled tank that I added 3 Amanos too. With in a few hours one jumped out, but lucky I was right there so I was able to put him back in the tank. The next day the same shrimp molted and was doing perfectly fine, but the next day he is no where to be found. I assumed he jumped out again, but a body is no where to be found. The other two Amanos are doing perfectly fine. Any ideas?
zainey_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Al Slick
Planted Member

Sometimes after molting they seem to hide out while their new exoskeleton hardens. Mine have disappeared after molting and I assumed this is why. They always come back though.
Al Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
zainey_04
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

That's the thing. I've searched the entire tank. There really isn't a place for the shrimp to hind. I just have some blyxa and 3 crypts and nothing else in the tank.
zainey_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #21
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainey_04 View Post
That's the thing. I've searched the entire tank. There really isn't a place for the shrimp to hind. I just have some blyxa and 3 crypts and nothing else in the tank.
It may have jumped out, walked somewhere, dried up and died. I have an open top tank and have trouble keeping Amanos. My cherries jump out too, but I have a sustained population.

Once, I found a dried up amano in a corner of my shoe rack 5 feet from tank, all dusty and crusty.

I would think it jumped out, especially since you can't find it, and don't have much hiding places.
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #22
Al Slick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
It may have jumped out, walked somewhere, dried up and died. I have an open top tank and have trouble keeping Amanos. My cherries jump out too, but I have a sustained population.

Once, I found a dried up amano in a corner of my shoe rack 5 feet from tank, all dusty and crusty.

I would think it jumped out, especially since you can't find it, and don't have much hiding places.
Yea I'd say check the filter... other than that it may have walked! One of mine jumped while I was cleaning the tank so luckily I was there to put him back in.
Al Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thank you everyone...

I bought 3 amanos ... i had one tank that had 'issues' water tested fine but plants were dying and alge growing (of course my betta was happy as a clam)

i put in an amano and couldn't find him and hour later .. i thought, well maybe i put all 3 in the big tank (the betta tank is 2.3 gal square) so i put in another one.. it too was gone in the morning.. i KNOW i put that second one in... now i have one poor lonely amano in my 6 gal and none to clean my betta tank (the betta thinks cherry shrimp are fun to 'play' with, the shrimp not so much)
any other ideas for a tank mate for a betta (who is very large for a fan tail and always curious)?

glad i saw this before i got more amanos ... now i wish i could find those bodies (though something tells me my fluffy dog, who threw up a day or so later may know something about missing shrimp)

on the plus side.. my cherry shrimp had babies! 2 are swimming around
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

In a 2.3 gallon tank, the betta will have pretty much zero suitable tankmates. That's pretty small for a betta by itself, but that's another issue. You should not really need any cleaner crew for such a small tank, either.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #25
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
In a 2.3 gallon tank, the betta will have pretty much zero suitable tankmates. That's pretty small for a betta by itself, but that's another issue. You should not really need any cleaner crew for such a small tank, either.
you'd think... BUT i got a 6 gallon tank, plants, etc for my betta (that's what started it all) and while my betta thought the 'all you can eat sushi shrimp bar was great, he didn't love the tank... as a "you stop that and go to your room" move I put him in a 8x8x8 tank.. and he was happy as a clam (bubble nests daily, and no more sad look) ... I think he likes being in the middle of the table where i work and see/talk to him during the day (he has a nice tank)

the question becomes, how to keep everything alge free if i don't have a little cleaner for him. I have 2 betta (both hated the big scary tank even with the filter baffled), they have heaters, lights, plants, and are front and center when i work.
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #26
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

I've had Amanos jump many times. A lot of times they will crawl out on the filter pipes. They can walk quite far too. They will do it even if the water is perfect. It's normal for them to crawl between waterholes in their native habitat.

Tags
amano shrimp dying, fresh water tank, planted aquarium