Goldie Haven.... - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
Fizgig777
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thank you Sejoy & Saxtonhill! Glad you enjoy this tank =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom
.... Isn't 6 inches of substrate too much? Or your plants require that depth?
Some of the plants I have require deep substrate --- E. Bleheri is a massive plant with equally massive roots! I pulled out one of the adult plants to sell recently, & it had 4ft. worth of roots that I had a lot of trouble getting out of the substrate without uprooting everything else in the tank! Besides that, having deep substrate means the roots of plants don't get disturbed by digging fish. It doesn't have to be uniformly at such depths, but in the area of certain plants it needs to be -- unless you like having the plants dug up that is Large Echinodorus plants especially do seem to thrive in deeper substrate. I even give them 4" of substrate in my tropical tank where nothing would be digging them up because that's what they seem to prefer.

Glad you found the advice useful.
Fizgig777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #32
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Plants that do best attached to objects (Anubias, for example) should not be used as a substrate bound plant -- simply doesn't work with Goldies.
You lost me here. I'm about to set up a 155-gallon tank and have a pile of different types of anubias and would love to put a couple of goldies in (once it's fully cycled, that is). Are you saying to use them in the typical way by attaching to rocks or wood and allow the roots to grow into the gravel? Or something different? I'm confused.

Also, is there a reason why you used tempered glass?

Absolutely gorgeous tank! I'm awfully excited by the possibility of keeping goldies with plants.
Seedreemer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #33
Fizgig777
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedreemer View Post
.....Are you saying to use them in the typical way by attaching to rocks or wood and allow the roots to grow into the gravel? Or something different? I'm confused.
I didn't really say either way BUT, I do attach all my Anubias specimens to some structure -- castle ruins in this tank (castle ruins, lava rocks, tree stumps in my other tank) --- and leave the roots to go where they wish until they get too crazy and need to be scaled back to reclaim swimming space or free the filter intakes. What I meant by not having Anubias as a substrate bound plant is that it shouldn't be PLANTED in the substrate. Some of its roots will naturally grow into the substrate, but most will not. Less risk of root and/or crown rot that way, too.

Quote:
Also, is there a reason why you used tempered glass?
I used tempered glass due to the risks posed by having a tank with such odd dimensions and high volume of water without the use of unsightly bracing along the top (which would also get in the way of lighting). There are additional reasons for the decision, but that's the primary one.

Quote:
Absolutely gorgeous tank! I'm awfully excited by the possibility of keeping goldies with plants.
Appreciate the compliments! Good luck with your efforts & I hope I've answered your questions and/or clarified things.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #34
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, Fizgig, yes, you did clarify things. I have some large anubias that were planted directly in the gravel (with the crown out) in my previous 75 gallon and would have done them the same way. Good to know not to.

I was thinking you used the tempered glass due to rambunctious breeding activities and wondering if my 155 would hold up, lol.

I've been researching a planted goldie tank for a long while now and had often wondered if something like your set-up would work (large pebbles on top). I kept reading that goldies are so messy you need a bare bottom with plants in pots (not a look I like). I'm thinking the addition of so many live plants more than make up for any other issues.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #35
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

double post
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #36
Fizgig777
Algae Grower

Quote:
...I've been researching a planted goldie tank for a long while now and had often wondered if something like your set-up would work (large pebbles on top). I kept reading that goldies are so messy you need a bare bottom with plants in pots (not a look I like). I'm thinking the addition of so many live plants more than make up for any other issues.
Bare bottom tanks, besides being unsightly, are notoriously difficult to maintain, cause health &/or behavior problems with the fish, generally have major algae issues due to imbalances in the water column. I've never advocated for bare bottom glass cages... Have converted many in my time to natural river gravel for clients due to issues I mentioned. Most housed Goldfish which were exhibiting major stress related health and behavior issues. Made a world of difference to convert them to more natural and (IMO) more aesthetically pleasing aquariums. If you can avoid it, don't go bare bottom!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.