catchandrelease's 46 bowfront
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
catchandrelease
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

catchandrelease's 46 bowfront

So I bought a new house and finally got everything moved in, except for my 75g reef tank and my planted tank. So the question came up of, "hey, how are you going to move your tanks to your new house scott?" to which I had no response,
here is a pic of my reef tank that i am dreading moving. Keep in mind this tank now has alot of money in fish and corals that tend to die very quickly if you piss them off. itll be a fun one.

So i took it as an opportunity to get a new tank , and I had never had a bowfront so I thiought I would give it a shot.

The tank is a standard 46g bowfront with a glass lid that has sitting on it my dual bulb T5HO, and my old power compact. So the lighting will be replaced by something more substantial when I find a good deal.

For substrate i went with 31lbs of flourite dark and mixed in 15lbs of flourite black. I am running two filters on this tank, one is my old 2213 which is just running my inline heater and my CO2 Reactor. The second filter is a rena XP2, seems to have just the right amount of flow in the tank between the two filters. The 2213 is a little overloaded running both my heater and reactor but it seems to be doing the trick.

My CO2 is a 10lb tank with a solenoid running an hour before lights on and off at about 1bps.

The backround on this tank i tried something a little diffent, I made an mdf box and painted it all up a very light blue, at the bottom of this box is a blue light i used to run as a moonlight, this is on a timer to turn on two hours before lights off and turn off two hours after lights on to replicate some moonlight. I love the way it looks when its on but im not sure about the backround color when the blue light is off. Let me know what you guys think about it.

I will be dosing dry ferts in this tank and running a decent amlount of CO2 so i would like to find a decent T5HO light in the next few weeks when plants get rooted, so if anybody has seen anything let me know.

I went yesterday and got two sterpai cories as i wont be seeing much of a cycle due to the fact that the filter was running on my old tank for 2 years and a good amount of water was taken to get this tank started. I also picked up some plants yesterday, i ended up with this to start,
-pogostemon
-Hemanthius
-echinodorus
-ludwigia
-microsorum
-and rotala

for fish i am thinking either a school of rummynose or cardinals, two german blue rams, and 3 or four angels.

Let me know what you think and if you have any fish or plant recommendations id like to hear them. Thanks

Last edited by catchandrelease; 01-05-2012 at 01:18 AM..
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
catchandrelease
Algae Grower

ill get some better pictures in a couple hours here when the lights are on.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
kizzabennett
Algae Grower

Nice pieces of wood
Old 03-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
catchandrelease
Algae Grower

Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
MissGreen08
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have the same stand on my 46G. Love it, can fit a ton of stuff behind the tank in the center and it's nice having easy access to CO2 and filters behind the glass.

Nice to see another 46 Bow on here!
MissGreen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
catchandrelease
Algae Grower

so i am looking into some options for lighting of this tank, I have a few different ones that I want to run by and see what you guys think.

Otion one is a pc/MH light with one 250w MH and 2 96w PCs,

option two is a 4 bulb T5HO,

option three is a 36" 2 bulb T5HO in the back and a 24" 2 bulb T5HO right up to the curve in the front.

i am not sure what will look the best and get the best results on this tank. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

I'd go with option 3
Btw, where is your Pogostemon? I've got some ready in about a week if you need some P. Erectus
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
catchandrelease
Algae Grower

pogostemon is front left infront of the wood, i will definately need more though if you have some trimming to do let me know. Thanks

And i am leaning towards option three as well, it will fit the tank well and t5ho is a nice looking lighting.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Which pogostemon species do you have? Helferi?

Based on personal experience I can tell you that with the correct bulbs, the 4 bulbed t5ho's from aquatic life is awesome. When I come back from my vacation I am switching my 10,000k's for flora suns which promote the red and green out of the plants
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
catchandrelease
Algae Grower

yes its helfiri
Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

So I guess I'll PM you when I got extras!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
catchandrelease
Algae Grower

So i ended up getting another 2 bulb T5HO fixture but this one is 36 inches, so i have the 24" two bulb in the front and the 36" in the back. I am running them each for 8 hours which may be a little much but we'll see.

I also got a few fish in the tank, i now have 4 angelfish (2 leopard)(2 marble), 6 cardinals, and 2 sterpai cory's. I will probably get another 5 or 6 cardinals shortly.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #13
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Can't wait to see a pic in the upcoming weeks! Btw, add more plants!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #14
catchandrelease
Algae Grower

So i got a few more plants a little while ago and im starting to see some growth coming along nicely, The HC is starting to fill quite quickly actually now that its established itself. One thing i am not too impressed with is my ludwigia, i am waiting to have it grow into the space in the back center to give me some good color but i am not seeing very much of anything happening.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Well to me, that Ludwigia looks like Ludwigia Pereunsis
That is a type of ludwigia that grows pretty slow when compared to other ludwigias