New nyc aqua club
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Greg-Brooklyn-NYC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New nyc aqua club

I have 5 fish tanks all of which will be converted to planted tanks in the next few weeks. I have many fish but due to recent fishkill on my super-tank, I lost 3 Gold Nug Plecos, among other nice fish, I am so upset that I am tearing everything down, starting from scratch, and quarantine new fish for 2 weeks. I will be doing enders in every tank as well. I have a good job and can afford to splurge on fish so I plan to buy about 1K worth in one shot once the tanks are set up (mostly exotic fish $15-100 ea). Since there is no NYC planted tank club that I have found I would be willing to start one and host at a restaurant weekly get-togethers. It would be nice if we could get a solid group of unselfish, experienced, and astute people together. Once my tanks are set-up and running I would be willing to give away plants as they grow (as I'm sure anyone with a high tec setup would be willing to). Once the livebearers start to proliferate I would give them away as well. Someone I recently met has a 2000 gallon tank and would be on-board with this idea (he is a plumber by trade and very intelligent when it comes to designing filtration systems). My other friend is a licensed NYC plumber (only a few hundred in all NYC), but the point I'm making is that I bring a lot to the table but expect the same (unless you are new). An unlimited supply of good driftwood as well (I have friends in the DEC and there are places that no one knows about that would blow your mind). I even have CO2 suppliers ($15 for 20lb tank, $75 deposit for the tank, $15 each refill, 20lb lasts like a year). I recently broke IGFA All-Tackle Fishing Records as well. Point is if you are up for or interested in this, PM or e-mail me and we can try to do a meeting this week. The meeting will be in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which means easy L train transportation, easy driving with parking. I mean the hipster/yuppie part (Northside). One nice part about this is that if we need fish/plants we can order as a group once a month from a supplier (I can use a Tax Id for wholesale) at a discount. The other benefits are endless but whether this will end up happening is left to be seen.
Greg-Brooklyn-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
DavidZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Greg, sounds like a great idea some have tried, at the Brooklyn aquarium.
Try this post in the NY section.
DavidZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
shawnhu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'm not a ballet like you Greg, but I would like to get involved, time permitting. I also have a few other hobbies and obligations, but keeping aqua plants is one of them.
shawnhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.