Woohoo my first nano tank project
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Dieni
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Dieni

Woohoo my first nano tank project

Ok, so I just acquired a nano tank with these dimensions 20" length x 10 width x 15" height. After taking into account the gravel and decorations, this should hold 7g.

Filtration: I was going to get an Eheim 2006 or 2008 as a filter, dont want things hanging on the tank or beside it.

Heating: Got a Hydor 100w heater which should be more than enough.

Substrate: Is 2" of substrate enough considering the height of the tank? How much flourite will I need?

Co2: Well since I dont want a lot of things around the tank, I will have to supply co2 in the form of carbon with flourish excel, if I see that I am not managing, than I will look into other ways of getting co2 in the tank.

Lighting: This is the most difficult part, the hood is supplied with an 15w flourescent tube, which results to a bit more than 2w per gallon. Will this be enough to grow meduim light plants? Else I can change the ballast to odno x2 the tube.

Have I missed anything major? Thanks in advance for your help.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #86

50G Tank; Eheim 2026 Filter, Eheim 2213 Filter, Hydor ETH 300w heater, 9w UV Steriliser, CO2 Pressurized system with JBL PH Controller & Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor, 3wpg lighting, Tetra Plant substrate
60G Tank; Project 1500l Filter, 2 Hydor 150w heaters, 9w UV Steriliser, JBL CO2 Pressurized system with Eheim diffuser, 2wpg lighting, Tetra Plant substrate
Dieni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2005, 02:57 AM   #2
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

go and overdrive the bulb, 2 wpg on a 7 gallon is a lot less light than 2 wpg on a 30 gallon lets say... its not the wpg that matters as much as the intensity . 30 watts over 7 gallon seems ok, the more the merrier.
excell is goin to get expensive, go for some DIY co2 bubbled into the eheim intake.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Dieni
Algae Grower

Well I will see how the 15w goes, than I will try to get my hands on a 36w power compact.

The diy co2 will only be the last resort cause I dont want to mess with bottles etc...

Got anymore suggestions as far hardware goes?

50G Tank; Eheim 2026 Filter, Eheim 2213 Filter, Hydor ETH 300w heater, 9w UV Steriliser, CO2 Pressurized system with JBL PH Controller & Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor, 3wpg lighting, Tetra Plant substrate
60G Tank; Project 1500l Filter, 2 Hydor 150w heaters, 9w UV Steriliser, JBL CO2 Pressurized system with Eheim diffuser, 2wpg lighting, Tetra Plant substrate
Old 01-10-2005, 01:11 AM   #4
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

get some light is my hardware suggestion!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Dieni
Algae Grower

Ok my ballasts have arrived, so I will od the 15w bulb for sure. Got an Eheim 2206 too.

Can someone tell me how many bags of flourite will I need? Is one bag enough?

Old 01-12-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
Steven_Chong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

1 bag should be enough to cover. I bought 2 8lbs bags of planting substrate for my 7gcube, and I had enough from 1 bag to form a 1.75 inch foreground while still being able to form a large hill of it in the back left corner (supported by driftwood and rocks.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Dieni
Algae Grower

Well seems that the flourite is out of stock and it still has about a month to arrive. So I am going to go with a bag of JBL Aquabasis Plus and some black gravel on top.

Cant wait to get this tank running now lol.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

We usually just call a 10 gallon tank a 10 gallon tank, which drops you to 1.5 wpg. Overdriving 2x will give you about a 50% increase in the output so figure you jump up to 23 watts or 2.3 wpg. You can grow lots of plants in a ten gallon tank at that level but keep an eye on the bulb. ODNO bulb life is shortened due to the excess heat generated. What is the reflector material made of? If it is white plastic you might want to look for a replacement made from spectral aluminum.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 AM   #9
Dieni
Algae Grower

The reflector I got is made of aluminium, so should be fine, I went with JBL Aquabasis Plus and black quartz gravel on top.