daverock1337's 29g journal *UPDATE 7-05-11* moved. havoc caused. being remedied. - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 AM   #46
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

the back is spray painted flat black. no can do haha. i just don;t want to wake up with water everywhere. ill have to pay attention, if they get worse, ill replace the tank, which sucks because i doubt i can get the substrate transferred over. and i just put mts in it...
daverock1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #47
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

i got my tannin leaching problem under control, but now i think i have a green water algae bloom. and i just added new plants. i;m going to give it a few days for the plants to have some light, then i am going to give it a blackout.

my algae problems have to be from having 120 watts on this tank, i no longer dose ferts (shouldn;t be much if any in the water column to feed the algae), mts takes care of that, and i have my co2 cranked. drop checker is yellow. anyone else have any ideas???

i now have three upgrades im wanting to do. a t5ho 2x24 watt light, a solenoid, and an eheim 2215. don;t know what to do first...
Old 04-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #48
bonaparte
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like your setup, Dave.

How's the angel doing? I keep looking for a 'centerpiece fish' but I passed on an angel because so many people say that they're either too aggressive and/or they chew up their plants. What's your experience?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #49
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

I always say start with good filtration and works your way up from there. My biggest regret was starting from the light and working my way down. That apisto agassizi is gorgeous! Looking forward to the plants growing in. FYI, I have scratches like that on my 55 gallon and have no issues other than it being unsightly. I got them from the algae scraper I used to use.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #50
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

you should look into dwarf cichlids for a centerpiece fish. i love them, and am hoping to get my agassizi's to breed (once i get some females). i think a 1m/2f trio is perfect for a 29 gallon tank. also, mine only ever bothered the discus and angel, i think because he had no females to pester. he leaves the cardinals, plecos, and cories alone.

my angelfish was traded in today. it was hard to do, but i don;t want him to grow up and eat my cardinals. i'm also considering trading the discus also. i just worry he won;t get a good home, but my 29 with only 1 won;t suffice really. he is starting to get his adult coloration, which makes it hard to get rid of him. i had no aggression problems with my angel, but he was still small. my apisto on the other hand...

that apisto is awesome, and its his tank, everything else in the tank is for him. i will be getting some females for him in about a month. very excited.

i got 3 more cardinals and a sterbai cory. i am going to trade in my pepper cories for a few more of the sterbai's. they are so cool looking. i just got a green water algae bloom, and it makes me mad. i will be doing a massive water change, followed by a 3 day black out, and another water change. ill take pics of it and put them here.

i think im going to get the filter, then the light, then sell my light i have now, then buy a solenoid. the solenoid is low priority since i pay just under 12 bucks to get my 5 lb cylinder filled.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #51
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

here the pics of my fight against green water algae.

green water...

from the side...

goodbye water...

refilled...

and covered...

my new sterbai cory

my assistant. she follows me and cocks her head sideways when i pour the water into the tub. then the same when i start refilling the tank.

and my supervisor. she is 13 years old. had her almost half my life. best dog ever. she also goes everywhere i can take her in my truck. i say "ready" and her ears perk up. then its "lets go" and she stands ready to haul *** to the door, and then "bye byes" and she flys off the bed, to the door, and into the truck.

enjoy!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #52
RocknRolla

awesome dogs man. oh and that cory cat kinda looks like a juleii.
RocknRolla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #53
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sterbai Cory

Julii Cory

both are awesome, but the sterbai are better suited to my 80F tank temps. i woulda bought julii's but they didn't have any, kinda glad i didn't because my tank is too warm for them. i lucked out with the sterbai.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #54
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

i did a 50 percent water change tonight in the dark, bexcause i am leaving tomorrow immediately after work to go trout fishing in the mountains for 3 days. after 11 im going to switch my lights back on (they will be off on the timers though) and tomorrow before work get my co2 going again. i hope this takes care of the green water. the water i pulled oput of the tank was brown, not green. ill put up some pics when i get home

also, i found a dead cardinal at the top of my driftwood. tested my parameters.

ph 6.4
amm .25 ppm
nitrite .5 ppm
nitrate 10 ppm

last time it was ph 6.2 and everything else was zero. im hoping the amm and nitrite will become under control after the lights come back on and the plants start helping again...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #55
SkyGrl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sounds like its getting better minus the dead one. the plants will keep up nicely im sure.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #56
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

so i went on a 4 day fishing trip to the mountains after doing the 50% wc and finding the dead cardinal. i came home and my tank is wrecked! all my hc is dead or dying, my prosperpinaca lost most of its leaves, i am missing s bunch of giant hygro, and my polygonum is looking terrible. also, i can;t find my new sterbai cory, two more cardinals are missing, and worst of all, my erio cinereum is almost completely dead. i am going to be doing some emergency trimming/cleaning/testing/fixing today. ill try and put up pics.

sucks coming home from a relaxing trout fishing trip to be super stressed by my tank.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #57
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

took pics and did tests.

ph 6.2
amm .25 ppm
nitrite .25 ppm
nitrate is 5 ppm

don;t know what has caused an ammonia and nitrites spike, but i think its an excuse to upgrade to an eheim 2215 or 2213 (probably the 2215). ive got some cherry shrimp raok'd that will be here in 2 days. don;t want em to die...

tomorrow will be some major trimming/tank work ill post the pics then.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #58
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

so all the leaves that fell off my plants/dead plants severely clogged my filter intake, causing a spike in nitrites and ammonia. problem solved. i pulled out a bunch of dead plants.

casualties:
hc (all of it)
polygonum sp. 'kawagoeanum' (1 stem)
limnophila aromatica (1 stem)
hygrophila corymbrosa 'angustifolia' (2 stems)
hygrophila corymbrosa (all)
proserpinaca palustris (2 stems)
2 cardinal tetras
and worst of all, my *cry* eriocaulon cinereum/aussie type 2 (not sure which it was, but for 25 shipped i am very very upset it died)

i removed the piece of wood that was not attached to the rest, it kept falling over and angering me.
i also pulled up the parva that was close to the walkerii and moved it, it was becoming covered and was barely visible.

on a positive note, my sterbai cory is still doing well. and i got my anubias nana and glass drop checker. and some raok'd cherry shrimp! some of the very small shrimp fell victim to a hungry apisto and the larger cardinals.

also hoping my nurii 'pahang mutated' will start doing better. every time it grows a new leaf, an old one melts.

now for some pics.

the disaster

the new look. moved some plants around, thinking i might need to get some more...

sterbai

cherry shrimp

Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #59
SkyGrl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i say that moss looks like it may have died off some. But with those green spots it will make a comeback. even if you want to take a bit off and slap it in a tub (no heater, just air stone..) that piece would bounce back for sure. i had my moss just in a 4 gallon pail in about an inch and a 1/2 of water for over a month and it grew like crazy. i just had a crappy flouresent bulb on it that i turned on every other day.

i think i maybe did one water change on the pail (100%) as long as it gets some sort of circulation (air stone) it will come back.

what it looks like now seems like it will grow back. what is your temp at? that seems to play a small part in moss growing. the christmas moss grew in room temp all the way up to 78. thats a decent range. i wouldnt worry about it to much.

Amy
Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #60
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

ill try cutting some off and putting it in a bucket with water and an airstone. tank temp is usually 80, maybe i should lower it to 76-78. i have a 20 watt t8 bulb i can hang over the bucket. i might even have an extra timer around here somewhere.

thank you for the help.

Tags
29 gallon, high light, manzanita, mineralized topsoil, west virginia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.