Dwarf Sag vs. Micro Sword - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-23-2005, 06:29 AM   #31
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

ok, sorry to dig up this thread again, but somewhat confused.

I orderd from an online vendor what was advertised as Echinodorus tenellus (which is the pygmy chain sword)... Nice plant, but looks different from the Echinodorus tenellus I saw at a LFS today. With the Echinodorus tenellus at the LFS, the blades were shorter than mine and looked different, like the ends of them were kind of oblong, rounded (and no, it wasn't microsword).

I think on this thread someone said there were 2 types of Echinodorus tenellus, so maybe I indeed have one of the versions. Or, maybe I was given a taller version of Dwarf Sag. Hmm . Not sure.

Attached is a pic of the Dwarf Sag and a plant I was sold as Echinodorus tenellus in my tank veres a pic from the internet of what the Echinodorus tenellus looked like at LFS. Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff I received, just curious about discrepencies.

LFS type

motifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #32
Steven_Chong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

What you are seeing is the difference between emersed and submersed forms. The LFs plant is the emersed leaf form, and if kept submersed long the leaves will probably decay and the plant will grow new, grass-like leaves as in your plants.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #33
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I have had limited success with Dwarf Sag. and E. Tenellus. I got mine in the same order from AquariumPlants.com and there are very hard to tell apart, the major difference in the Sag. put runners across the top of the substate and the tenellus will put its runners under the subtrate. I gave mine two months or so but they never did much or are really slow growers, I just replaced them with glosso and I'm hoping to get more of a carpet effect. I don't know if it was my lighting or if it was my substrate, someone told me that they might not have done well due to too much Anaerobic bacteria because I never vacuum deep into the substrate, I only lightly vacuum the top.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote