Dwarf Sag vs. Micro Sword - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #16
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaquaria
I added the red, since I have also seen this plant in green (never turning red).
Never turning red in "your" tank ?
Water qualities, ferts, lighting... all factors on plant coloring in a tank, you know that dd !!
... just because you are getting some hints of red and you have seen some all green, does not make yours a var. red
For example, I have seen Hygro polysperma look like the "sunset v." , much more then the "sunset v." itself look like in someone elses tank.
Plant coloring depends on conditions , as much as it depends on variety.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #17
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

yes my H. polysperma is just the regular var. but I thought it was the sunset var. since it was so pink! I would like to see a picture of this red microsword
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #18
ddaquaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to ddaquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Never turning red in "your" tank ?
Water qualities, ferts, lighting... all factors on plant coloring in a tank, you know that dd !!
... just because you are getting some hints of red and you have seen some all green, does not make yours a var. red
For example, I have seen Hygro polysperma look like the "sunset v." , much more then the "sunset v." itself look like in someone elses tank.
Plant coloring depends on conditions , as much as it depends on variety.
Actually the entire leaf would be red. Not just hints. It is the same plant that Amano uses in the foreground on several of his tanks. I have talked to others that thought they bought the red form, but it never turned red. Once they got their hands on the red form and placed it in the same tank, you could see the differences. I agree that water quality and other factors can manipulate color, but I don't think that is the case for this plant. Would you prefer that I call it Echino. tenellus var microleaf like majority of the articles that I have read?

46 Bow S.A. Community
NEO 90 Petros ~ NEO 90 "Rio Negro"
120 Troph Mpulungu ~ 120 Troph Kambwimba Red Rainbow
120 Troph Brichardi Namansi Reef ~ 120 Troph Murago (Moba II)
DSA 215 "Rio Orinoco"
ddaquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #19
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Now you really got my curiousity up...
I know what Mikes and my next question will be..."Care to part with a plant or two to try...?
I would love to see a photo actually...any links or maybe photos of yours ?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #20
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
I do not want to call it tenellus since people call every chain sword that they see tenellus. It also appears to be called Echinodorus tenellus, micro leaf variety. I added the red, since I have also seen this plant in green (never turning red).
Common names are one thing, but scientific are another. E. tenellus and E. microtenellus give me the impression of two different plants, when in fact they are the same one. Add in the "Red" variety and my head is swimming!

I will agree common names can be confusing. I have always thought of "microswords" as Lilaeopsis and "Chain or Pygmy Chain" as E. tennelus.

Mike
Old 01-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #21
ddaquaria
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to ddaquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Common names are one thing, but scientific are another. E. tenellus and E. microtenellus give me the impression of two different plants, when in fact they are the same one.
I completely disagree with this statement. I again recommend the article in Planted Aquaria Spring 200 pg 33 as well as Kassellman pg 276 and The Aquarium Plant Handbook pg 87 stating that there are different kinds of tenellus - which are not the same plants.

Sorry montifone for hijacking your thread. I confused the microsword that you were speaking of with tenellus... I blame myself.

46 Bow S.A. Community
NEO 90 Petros ~ NEO 90 "Rio Negro"
120 Troph Mpulungu ~ 120 Troph Kambwimba Red Rainbow
120 Troph Brichardi Namansi Reef ~ 120 Troph Murago (Moba II)
DSA 215 "Rio Orinoco"
ddaquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #22
Magnus
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Magnus

So far, in my knowledge, I've seen 3 varieties of E. tenellus. The regular, green one we all know and love is E. tenellus var. 'narrow leaf', the one ddaquaria is talking about is E. tenellus var. 'micro leaf' (this plant actually stays smaller than the former). There's also the original broad leafed E. tenellus, but I've only seen those in prints. Of course, I could be wrong, which is why I don't post much.
Also, if you have the "red" variety and are interested in trading, let me know.
Pics of E. tenellus var. 'micro leaf' can be seen here (taken by Marcus)
http://www.fish-forums.com/board/album_cat.php?cat_id=7
Old 01-09-2005, 03:47 AM   #23
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Kasselmann, page 276:

Other: Two kinds of Echinodorus tenellus are cultivated in aquariums. they differ in coloring, leaf length, and growth height. Whereas one form displays light green, short blades, as well as low growth in the aquarium, the other form develops medium to dark green, often brownish, considerably longer leaf blades, and a growth height up to 5cm.

That is understood. I never claimed there were not two types of E. tenellus. Note how Kasselmann herself calls them two kinds. She has not made the assumption of variety.

Aquarium Plants Handbook does mention two forms and variety. The only problem I would have with The Aquarium Plant Handbook is that it is in fact a plant selling catalog by Oriental Aquarium. I would defer to Kasselmann. I would love to see the other source you cited. Is that an AGA publication?

Now, my objections were not with the types or forms of E. tenellus. I am aware there are three different types being talked about. Magnus does a good job explaining that. What I do object to is the use of the scientific name Echinodorus microtenellus. By using this Latin name, you have created a whole new species. I searched and searched and could find no plant in the Genus Echinodorus to be of the species microtenellus. Therefore Echinodorus tenellus and Echinodorus microtenellus (if that species actually existed) would constitute two different plants since they are of two different species.

Calling the plant Echinodorus tenellus var."micro leaf" makes much more sense.

Either way all of the mentioned forms are in fact varieties of the same plant, that plant being Echinodorus tenellus.

Am I splitting hairs? Let me know and I'll knock it off!

Mike
Old 01-09-2005, 06:56 AM   #24
Steven_Chong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have 2 types of dwarf sag in my 20g, they've been there for about a month. It's a lo-tech eclipse set up with 2wpg-- and in the month the sag has more than tripled the amount of substrate it covers.

Buck--I have soft water too so maybe that's it.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #25
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looks like I stirred up the pot some.

Using the images on the aquabotanic store and visiting a few LFS, the micro sword isn't what I want. I've had it years ago, not under the best light mind you, and it fell apart and made quite the mess.

I prefer the rigid lines of dwarf sag or micro tenellus/pigmy chain sword blades. As to which I currently have, I believe it is the dwarf sag. It's been in the tank about four weeks, no runners yet, we'll see what happens. I did go to the LFS and they had a display tank with a grass plant that was dense, short, nice looking with lots of runners. They were selling a bag of clippings of it as "dwarf grass". I didn't buy the clippings because I thought it was the same as mine, but looking back -- that grass they had was a much lighter green with more delicate blades. Perhaps this is the other variation Momotaro mentioned

I think I will go back to the LFS tonight and buy the grass and plant it in my tank as well, see how it fares, and compare the two.
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 PM   #26
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmiddlefinger
Buck--I have soft water too so maybe that's it.
My water is very soft and very acidic, Im not sure if thats the key to the dwarf sags but they are outta control. I cant wait till Mark gets his lighting so I can thin them out and bring him some. Mine took a while in the beginning too motifone so dont give up on them.

Another strange thing I am noticing about the sags, it is the different heights I am getting... 99% of it is the same height at about 2"-3" tall, but I have I'll bet 6 or 7 plants in the patch that are 6-7" tall and dang if it aint very hard to tell the difference between that and the Cyperus helferi which is having a growth spurt finally.

I just dont get it but I have to say that I am enjoying the dwarf sags and hope to make a nice tank with it... someday soon

I also believe it or not found some pots of a nice healthy type of hairgrass at WALMART (of all places)! I stared at it and stared at it, and finally said the heck with it I will grab 2 pots to mess with, the worst that happens is I throw it out. Its been sitting in the tank still in the pots for 5 days now and the new growth in that short time has been unreal ! Now I know I have to plant it somewhere but thats another story. Im thinkin its either E parvula or E. acicularis by some of the photos I have seen.
The Jury is still out on what it is but its growing like crazy in the pots and getting greener by the day. I need more tanks again.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #27
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone
I did go to the LFS and they had a display tank with a grass plant that was dense, short, nice looking with lots of runners. They were selling a bag of clippings of it as "dwarf grass". I didn't buy the clippings because I thought it was the same as mine, but looking back -- that grass they had was a much lighter green with more delicate blades. Perhaps this is the other variation Momotaro mentioned
Might be dwarf hairgrass that you're actually referring to (sounds very much like your description w/the lighter green coloration and delicate blades).

Buck, the only difference you can really see is the difference in height of the two. E. parvula tops out at 15 cm (approx. 6") and E. acicularis begins at 15 cm and grows up to 25 cm (10"). Given enough light, both of them don't grow to their max height...

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #28
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hi Ibn,

I googled "dwarf hairgrass". It's not it. It's not that fine.

Tell you what, if I buy the stuff from the LFS I will post it online with the other plant I have. It could very well be just the health and lighting of the plant in the LFS. Looks very similar to mine, but their growth was rabid.

I might get it just as an experiment.
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:07 AM   #29
silicagel
Algae Grower

I've had great luck with pygmy chain sword, micro sword and dwarf hair.

All three are growing well in the same tank, but for some reason the micro sword just isn't as attractive as I thought it would be. The leaves are very dark and poor in form. I'm not sure if there's a nutrient deficiency or what, but the other plants look good.

I'd have to recommend the e. tenellus for it's hardy nature and great appearence. Also, there's quite a bit of space between the carpeted leaves of the plant for small fish and invertibrates to roam.

Dwarf hair, while easy to grow and attractive, can get pretty 'dirty' from all the detritus trapped between the leaves.
silicagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:15 AM   #30
silicagel
Algae Grower

Just thought I'd mention, since I remembered this thread, I saw a pot of micro sword at walmart today that showed some hints of a purplish red.

It looked as though it might be either the tips of far reaching leaves, or decay. But have you ever seen a green plant decay to a sharp purplish red?

I almost bought it, but I'm done with microsword for the moment. It's growing okay in my tank, but it's not getting the right nutrients or something so it doesn't look right.
silicagel is offline   Reply With Quote