The official Orchid thread! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #31
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Sorry, I mistakenly said Justin and it was Hydrophyte. I keep Phals and cymbidiums and neither of these like salts/ferts/Excel. I cant speak for the rest of them though since I havent tried killing any of the others yet

Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #32
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Sorry, I mistakenly said Justin and it was Hydrophyte.
For some reason I do that too...must be that nice red name

Do emersed aquatic plants enjoy a good misting with ferts?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #33
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

I wouldnt foliar feed any terrestrials with ferts. Some will like it if you water the dirt with them but the salts are bad for leaves when the water is absorbed or evaporates.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #34
legomaniac89
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (75/100%)

I water all my orchids with tap water, which is liquid limestone here, and I've never had a problem with it. Granted, during the warmer months I put most all of them outside and let them get rained on whenever I can, so that washes out most of the salts, but I've never had a problem otherwise.

As far as ferts go, don't think that fertilizers are bad for orchids, they need their food too. What you want to do is dilute the fertilizer to 1/8-1/4 strength and feed them that way. Full-strength can fry the plants, no doubt, but I wouldn't withhold fertilizer completely.

My Phalaenopsis and Oncidium are kept indoors during the winter with no extra humidity, and again I've never had a problem with it. Some of my more sensitive species (Masdevellia, Neolehmannia, etc.) are kept in a humid terrarium, but the others don't get any misting or humidifying at all. And the ambient humidity inside my house is somewhere around 2% at the moment. Humidity isn't terribly important for the more common species.

The main thing to remember is that most orchids are epiphytes, and thus will never be soaked for more than a couple hours in nature. Overwatering is the easiest way to kill an orchid, so very well-drained medium is very important.
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
legomaniac89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #35
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Maybe I'll try some out here in Denver. The humidity is always incredibly low here so it will be a chore to keep them from drying out but we'll see how it goes! At our other place the orchids thrive - they are growing wild all over the place, literally, and you can just hike around for a few minutes and find them everywhere. Never seen a wild orchid in Colorado, though!

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #36
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
Maybe I'll try some out here in Denver. The humidity is always incredibly low here so it will be a chore to keep them from drying out but we'll see how it goes! At our other place the orchids thrive - they are growing wild all over the place, literally, and you can just hike around for a few minutes and find them everywhere. Never seen a wild orchid in Colorado, though!
I joined this site a while ago, and there were other Coloradans who also have orchids of all sorts! Makes me jealous how they are able to keept their orchid alive haha.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/

I have my supplies still from last time, they are sad because they are not being put to use..... so sad

Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #37
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
I water all my orchids with tap water, which is liquid limestone here, and I've never had a problem with it. Granted, during the warmer months I put most all of them outside and let them get rained on whenever I can, so that washes out most of the salts, but I've never had a problem otherwise.

As far as ferts go, don't think that fertilizers are bad for orchids, they need their food too. What you want to do is dilute the fertilizer to 1/8-1/4 strength and feed them that way. Full-strength can fry the plants, no doubt, but I wouldn't withhold fertilizer completely.

My Phalaenopsis and Oncidium are kept indoors during the winter with no extra humidity, and again I've never had a problem with it. Some of my more sensitive species (Masdevellia, Neolehmannia, etc.) are kept in a humid terrarium, but the others don't get any misting or humidifying at all. And the ambient humidity inside my house is somewhere around 2% at the moment. Humidity isn't terribly important for the more common species.

The main thing to remember is that most orchids are epiphytes, and thus will never be soaked for more than a couple hours in nature. Overwatering is the easiest way to kill an orchid, so very well-drained medium is very important.
+7!

i water with straight tap. and my water isnt soft. orchids need food too, but most cannot use nitrogen supplied from urea. so you need to find a fertilizer who's main nitrogen source is not from urea
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #38
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

Yeah, I agree with you guys on the ferts. They do need some and couldnt survive without. I was referring to tank water in particular. Mine do terrible on it.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #39
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I will do a fertilized mist once every two weeks on my orchids, and then daily mist's with r/o water

I just want to use my r/o water right now, I only have one tank up (no plants...african) so I need my fix.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #40
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i dont mist my plants. it really doesnt help with anything. but they will like r/o water if you have it
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #41
chaznsc
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

My variegated Vanilla Orchid....

chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #42
jflng
PTO

PTrader: (85/100%)

That enclosure is awesome^

Want to trade a small cutting from that vanilla orchid for small chunk of Bulbophyllum lepidum or Dendrobium oligophyllum?
jflng is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #43
chaznsc
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflng View Post
That enclosure is awesome^

Want to trade a small cutting from that vanilla orchid for small chunk of Bulbophyllum lepidum or Dendrobium oligophyllum?
Im in the market for some Subwassertan or Christmas / Spiky Moss if you have any.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #44
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

I saw some nice Intergenic Hybrids today, maybe I'll get one next week with my coupon... like Wils. Tigersette Wild Court AM/AOS and Burr. Austin Powers “Sweet Summer Morn”.

Gotta do a little reseach to see which one can do well. And be able to use the Phal soil mix I have..

Do any of you guys buy the cheap orchids that don't have a bloom spike?? They are cheaper... but I don't get them just in case when it does get a flower spike that the flower isn't to my liking.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #45
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

i specialize in minis:
lepanthes nycteris

restrepia iris

lepanthes telipogoniflora

lepanthes calodictyon

Dryadella simula

Stelis uniflora

Trisetella gemmata

Masdevallia decumana

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.