Anubias Nana growing too... quickly?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Kitana Coldfire
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anubias Nana growing too... quickly?

Hello again all, I know this may sound like a strange complaint/question, but has anyone here had experience with an Anubias Nana growing too quickly?

I've had mine in my tank for about a month, and about 2-2 1/2 weeks ago it finally acclimated enough to send up its first new leaf. Yay! I was satisfied knowing it was thriving enough to shoot off one leaf, and I figured that would be the last one for a while. Not so. A day after I saw the first new leaf, I noticed a second one beginning to emerge. Followed by a third. And a fourth.

So far, in the course of less than 3 weeks, this single nana has grown four new full (albeit still small) leaves, is halfway towards uncurling a fifth, and I think I see a sixth and seventh budding nearby. Oh, and they're all on one side of the rhizome, the part that's actually farthest away from the light (The light is on a timer, set for 12 hours on/12 hours off). The tank is still in the nitrite stage of fishless, and has been for quite a while now. The heat is at 86 F to try and make it hurry up.

Furthermore, since the leaf explosion started, the adult leaf on the very end of the other side has begun to turn gold, but still looks perfectly healthy otherwise. I'm not very concerned and I'll be pruning it off soon regardless, since I'm fairly certain the discoloration is being caused by the nutrients being directed towards the new leaves. Which brings me back to my main question(s):

Does anyone know why my Nana, a species notorious for growing slower than Christmas, is shooting off leaves like its going out of style? And if its a nutrient imbalance, why is only one of the preexisting adult leaves turning yellow? Shouldn't there be more doing the same? Just what am I doing, well, right?

I know it's something strange to question, but I'm more curious than worried at this point.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Stevenicoloconnor
Algae Grower

...we have a similar situation with petite anubias nana; it too is a slow grower, however it is shooting out roots and sproutin' leaves seemingly daily. Could it be the change in seasons? I suppose we'll know soon.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Tamelesstgr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have new leaves sprouting on my anubias about every week, all the rizhomes also send up flower shoots every couple of weeks. These are rather mature plants as I have had them 4+ years.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

The high temperature is likely forcing it to grow faster. You are correct about the yellow leaf. Nutrients are being sequestered for new growth.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (232/100%)

Has anyone tried growing Anubias emersed? I think they grow faster in this condition.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Has anyone tried growing Anubias emersed? I think they grow faster in this condition.
No algae either. I played around moving a coffeefolia back and forth. Leaves die off moving submerged to emersed, but not so much the other way around. Leaves tended to dry out emersed unless you kept it in a covered (very humid) environment.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Kitana Coldfire
Algae Grower

I know I posted this a while back, but I thought I would post one final update. I'm still in nitrite (whoo..... 6 weeks and counting -.-), and since I first posted the plant has continued to grow. I've pruned about 4 leaves so far, and split the rhizome into three to relieve some stress on it. The new rhizomes are still acclimating to their separation, while the main plant has responded by growing yet more leaves; however, I think I see the beginnings of new shoots from the split rhizomes, so they seem to be taking the removal well.

I've upped the nutrient dose for the tank, partially for them, but mainly because I have a Banana plant that didn't initially acclimate to the tank very well, forcing me to remove all its leaves at one point. I came back from my break to find that it too was re-growing leaves and looks to be getting healthy once more. My Bacopa is growing incredibly fast, to the point that I don't think it will be practical to keep it. I'll be looking into a replacement in the near future.

So that's what's going on with the plant. I'll leave you all in peace now ^^
Old 03-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

The higher temps and the excess nitrates from the cycle are the main reasons for it growing quickly. There really is not anything you can do. Just enjoy it while it lasts. Also, the gold leaf is dying. You may as well clip it if you haven't already.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Wow... I wish I could get a new leaf every 4 days.... Haha
One question about my anubias, half is the old rhizome is dying off( turning a bit brown now) while the other half is giving off new leaves every 2-3 weeks. What should I do with the dying brown part? Tear it off or let it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Wow... I wish I could get a new leaf every 4 days.... Haha
One question about my anubias, half is the old rhizome is dying off( turning a bit brown now) while the other half is giving off new leaves every 2-3 weeks. What should I do with the dying brown part? Tear it off or let it be?

Separate it with a sharp knife/razor blade. You can throw it away but if your anything like me youll find a nice spot for the bad part and see if you can get it to come back to life.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

What if the dying rhizome doesn't have any leaves?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
What if the dying rhizome doesn't have any leaves?

Take a really sharp razor and nick up the rhizome. This should promote new leave growth.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

So is it because there's still energy stored in the rhizome that allows it to make new leaves?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So is it because there's still energy stored in the rhizome that allows it to make new leaves?

Im not sure on that one but the rhizome is still green and I assume that it can also photosynthesis.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Anubias will sprout alot of new leaves along the rhizome when you cut off old one prematurely and this is probably what you are seeing. Getting 6-7 leafs per month from the same growing tip really is amazing. They tend to branch out where clipped.