Otocinclus in 2.5 galon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
norm53
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Otocinclus in 2.5 galon tank

I have had Otocinclus before but in a large tank (75galon). We have a 2.5 gallon desk top aquarium with a divider and two Betta's in it. The tank has a filter, a heater and florescent light.
I would like to put something to help clean up any algae etc in the tank. I'm afraid that the Betta's would harass if hot eat any shrimp. So I was thinking of putting an Otocinclus on each side to help with cleanup.
I've read that Otocinclus like room, is 2.5 gallons to small for 2 Otocinclus?
Would shrimp do ok with Betta's?
norm53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
james0816
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)

Too small for an Oto. Sry. Shrimp will most likely be lunch meat as well. Especially in such small confines.
james0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Tank is too small for two bettas. 1 betta can fit, or a bunch of shrimp, one or the other however.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Bettalovely
Algae Grower

Honestly, that tank isn't really big enough for two bettas. Generally 2.5 is the min recommended for one betta. I definitely wouldn't add anything else.
Bettalovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
norm53
Algae Grower

I never ask if the tank was to small for the Betta's.
In my opinion it is not. We have had them this way for quite a while and they are doing fine. No stress at all. They will go by and flash each other then go about their business.
I just wanted some ideas on what to use to keep algae down.
Thank you
norm53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

Put a single ramshorn snail in there. I've got one in my 2.5 and he's doing a pretty good job. Make sure it's a juvie so it doesn't lay eggs!

I did QT 9 Oto's in a 2.5g for 2 months with no problems. The tank is heavily planted and I did WC's every 3 days though.

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #7
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm53 View Post
I never ask if the tank was to small for the Betta's.
In my opinion it is not. We have had them this way for quite a while and they are doing fine. No stress at all. They will go by and flash each other then go about their business.
I just wanted some ideas on what to use to keep algae down.
Thank you
The answer is nothing, as the tank is too small for what you already have in it.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
reignOfFred
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used to have a betta in a 15 gallon and he swam all over it. Half a 2.5g is a nice place to show the fish but it's not such a hot place for it to live.
reignOfFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
The answer is nothing, as the tank is too small for what you already have in it.
Hate to say it, but I agree.

I wouldn't recommend you add anything to the bioload.

If you're having algae issues, it's most likely because the bioload is already too much for the tank...

If you rehome one of the bettas, then you could maybe add a few otos as long as you are sure to feed them fresh veggies once they run out of algae and are faithful with weekly water changes. An Amano shrimp would be a better choice, though.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
Hadouken441
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Getting an otto for such a small tank wont fix the algae at all. I think you need to do a little more research on algae / overstocking / bioload.

And yes 2.5 gallons is wayy to small for 2 bettas.

Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
thatbettaglo
Algae Grower

I get soooo frustrated when people say that 2.5 gal is "too small for a betta"... I have been keeping bettas for a LONG time and all of my fish have been in containers ranging from 1 to 10 gallons. My current tanks are a 2.5 gal (with a 10 gal filter on it) with a boy and 3 small females divided down the middle, a ten gallon community with a crowntail, another in a 2.5 with 4 guppies and two snails, and 3 one gallon tanks with one betta each. All are perfectly happy and have colored up significantly since I got them. I had a male like two and a half years in a 1 gal unfiltered bowl that got weekly water changes and was perfectly content. I do not think that one oto would hurt.
thatbettaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

How about this.. it's not that you cannot house them in such a small tank, it is recommended that you keep them in 3 gal or larger because they need the room to swim around. That 2.5 with substrate, plants, decos and whatever else you may have has less volume because of all the items.

Reading this you are telling us you divided the 2.5 and house not one but two fish and now you want to add 1 Otto to each side. You can certainly keep them there and yes they are alive but would you keep your dog living in a small room all the time? Again, not criticizing or telling you anything but offering an opinion. If you choose to keep them in that housing then your answer is do not add any other fish to the mix.

I will tell you right now those bettas, if they are male at least from my personal experience will harass the crap out of the Otto to the point it will jump the hell out of the tank. I had an Otto in a 6 gal, heavily planted with plenty of places to hide and my one lone betta chased, harassed and fought that poor Otto to the point I removed it because it was stressed to high heaven.

If you keep bettas you know they are extremely territorial and will fight their own reflection. You are trying to stick a pit bull and a poodle into a port-a-potty and thinking all will be dandy.

Don't get upset, just constructive criticism.

PS pics of the bettas.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
thatbettaglo
Algae Grower

I was never saying that I wanted to add oto's. I have 3 in my 10 gal. Heres pics of some of my boys. I dont have pics of the girls yet.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...t-3&highlight=

The crowntail was moved to my 10 gal and is doing very well there. The only reason I moved him was because my show off boy was intimidating him and he is non-agressive. Definitly one of my more docile bettas, leaves me with a total of 3 laid back boys.
thatbettaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbettaglo View Post
I get soooo frustrated when people say that 2.5 gal is "too small for a betta"... I have been keeping bettas for a LONG time and all of my fish have been in containers ranging from 1 to 10 gallons. My current tanks are a 2.5 gal (with a 10 gal filter on it) with a boy and 3 small females divided down the middle, a ten gallon community with a crowntail, another in a 2.5 with 4 guppies and two snails, and 3 one gallon tanks with one betta each. All are perfectly happy and have colored up significantly since I got them. I had a male like two and a half years in a 1 gal unfiltered bowl that got weekly water changes and was perfectly content. I do not think that one oto would hurt.
I feel sorry for those fish - you have a 2.5 with 4 bettas in it? And another with a betta and 4 guppes? That's awful.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #15
dwc13
Planted Member

Below is a link from the International Betta Congress site, for those interested:

http://www.ibcbettas.org/pages/knowl...-live-jar.html

OP -

From my perspective the issue isn't whether you are keeping your Bettas in too small an aquarium. That is your call. You are in the best position to understand the needs of your fish and continuously evaluate how they are doing, being fully aware their welfare is 100% dependent upon you.

Probably some combination of too much nutrients (perhaps from overfeeding, the bioload relative to the tank size), too much light, and/or not enough water changes is causing the algae. If it was my setup, I would initally focus my efforts on trying to identify why algae is growing in the first place rather than attempting to treat the symtom (by introducing another fish/snail/shrimp). Are you possibly overfeeding? Most of us probably overfeed on occasion without even realizing we are doing so. In a small tank such as a 2.5G, the problems caused by overfeeding are magnified significantly. What type of fluorescent light is being used and how long is it on in a 24 hour period? Is the aquarium located near a window such that sunlight hits the tank? How often do you perform water changes a week and what amount of water is changed each time? Are you removing all of the "waste" that settles in the bottom of the tank during the water changes?

Having kept and bred Anabantoids (Honey Gouramis) in the past, I know it is easier to "slack" on water changes given the fish (like a Betta) is capable of breathing oxygen from the air. Fortunately for me, I had more leeway with a lightly-stocked 45G planted tank. But the price to pay for using a 2.5G desktop aquarium is an increased vigilance to ensure the tank conditions (including water quality) are better than what the Bettas need to survive.

Best of luck in determining the cause of the algae.

Last edited by dwc13; 07-08-2011 at 01:43 PM..
dwc13 is offline   Reply With Quote