Update 3/16! **DIY LED Volcano!** Isla Nublar - Jurassic Park 5 Gallon Betta Paradise
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

View Poll Results: What substrate/setup should I use?
Tahitian Moon Sand with Root Tabs 40 39.22%
Organic Dirt with Tahitian Moon Sand Cap 62 60.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Arrow

Update 3/16! **DIY LED Volcano!** Isla Nublar - Jurassic Park 5 Gallon Betta Paradise

Most Recent Video Update: Here

INTRODUCTION
I recently entered this fantastic hobby with a 10 gallon, that, over the past few months, has improved greatly. However, I'm running out of possibilities with my 10 gallon and I think I'm coming down with some MULTITANKSYNDROME! (I heard it's very contagious on this site).

I don't have much room in my dorm so I opted to go with a 5 gallon tank that will be designed for a Betta! Gotta love them bettas

The tank is the 5 gallon Tetra brand from Wallyworld. I just got it in yesterday and have it sitting on my shelf until Thursday when I'll be able to start adding "things" before my spring break.

My 10 gallon did not have a plan to it other than I wanted some live plants and some fish. It shows in the aquascaping For this tank I wanted to plan out my design and experiment more in the realm of true aquascaping. Instead of studying for my massive exam on Wednesday I have been sketching out a few plans and visualizing the final tank.

The Plan

SUBSTRATE
The substrate will consist of 1 inch of Organic Potting Soil (slopes up to around 1.5" in the back for a bit of a hill effect) and a capped layer of fine gravel (CaribSea Super Naturals).

LIGHTING

I have not decided on specific lights but I'll most likely go with a CFL between 10 and 18 watts. The tank hood only allows for a single screw in type bulb. Depending on how that looks I may go with a clamp on desk lamp with a CFL.

Now for the fun stuff...

AQUASCAPE
The aquascape will center around a Red Tiger Lotus (I know they get big I'll be doing regular trimming/pruning...the whole point of this is to give me something to maintain). I'm also going to experiment with a carpet plant of Marselia Quadrifolia. Scattered on the side opposite to the RTL will be a few random rocks (hopefully granite and quartz crystal that I can find in the woods back home). The granite will be covered in Peacock Moss to give that deep green contrast to the Red Tiger Lotus and to break up the carpet a little. The Quartz will give more contrast and breaks. I'll play around with their placement once I get the tiger lotus and MQ in the tank.

Here's an example of my horrifyingly bad artistic skills

In the designs I also have a spot for an anubais nana. I want to see how the different greens will contrast with each other. And the nana should help disguise some of the filter intake.

FUTURE
I may have to replace my filter because it is significantly larger than I was expecting. An 8 inch deep tank sitting on top of a nearly 12 inch shelf should fit perfectly. Well apparently not with a 4 inch filter on the back. The tank hangs off the front edge of my shelf by about half of an inch. So close! Will this be a problem? I know with larger tanks this could be a huge problem but the forces on a 5 gallon are insignificant to that of a 55 gallon right?

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

RANDOM
Also, has anybody noticed that the photos on the boxes for aquariums of the "showcase" aquariums are HEAVILY overstocked? Just an observation.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by AquaStudent; 03-16-2012 at 05:42 PM..
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

looks like a good plan!!!! i personaly think it will look better with a clip-on desk lamp, than the chunky stock hood.

how high of light are you shooting for? any co2? diy, am i right?
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. I agree that it would look better with a clamp on desk lamp but the only question is if I have one that'll work (the next on the one that I have here at school doesn't seem to like going into an aquarium friendly position). I would then be able to move the filter over to the side and then be able to push the aquarium the extra .5" so it's fully on the shelf. I don't know how good that would look though :/. Why does Tetra have to make such a huge filter for a 5g?!?!? I can do DIY co2 and was planning on doing that if I needed the extra growth/algae prevention. I have all the materials for it anyway. Thanks again for the reply
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

NP!

id say do whatever is easiest. besides, if a betta is going in it, then you will need a lid. so stick with the hood
Old 03-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

oh yes I completely forgot about that. I don't want to do saran wrap...that's a bit to...ghetto...for this tank right now. especially if i have a hood.

Ugh so frustraiting. I may be able to get an art friend of mine to make me a glass sheet and cut out areas for the filter and heater (or I can do that myself hopefully with a dremel). Something to consider.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

get it?? ghetto..hood bahah !

thats a good idea. i am thinking about making a hole in my 20 long to make WC easier
Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

If you'd really prefer a clip light, you could also get a piece of plexiglass at HD and cut it yourself (if you score it you can snap it in a straight line for the overall size and then dremel out the openings for everything) Might be safer than glass if you're cutting it yourself. (I'm assuming you are trying to save $ otherwise i'd just suggest just buying a glass canopy)

I think the layout looks good, but of course it's hard to tell without seeing it in action Also, you could return the filter and pick up an azoo palm or red sea nano filter (as far as I can tell they are exactly the same thing with different brand names stamped on them). I've found that filter to be perfect for a 5g planted Betta tank, and it's only 2-3 inches deep, so you should certainly get your 1/2 inch back! You clearly know a lot more about physics than I do, but it would make me nervous having any tank hanging off an edge even a little bit.

OR you COULD keep the filter you have and hang it off the side, but then you'd definitely need to do some finagling and make yourself a glass (or plexi) canopy. I did that on my old 20g tank, it was in a hallway so I wanted it right up against the wall, that made the only option hanging the filter off the side and it worked just fine.
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for reading Kara!

I may know more about physics but you know MUCH more about fish tanks.

I definitely would prefer to have that 1/2 of an inch back. I'm going to check my local PetCo when I'm home. Hopefully they will have the Red Sea Nano. I was looking for that filter before (I heard about them but couldn't remember the name).

Only a few more hours until the exam...uh oh!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #9
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Good luck on the exam! (or if it was tonight, I hope it went well!)

I hope you find the filter you want too, I love the red sea nano, for a super heavily planted and stocked tank, it might not be QUITE enough filtration / circulation, but for a Betta tank, I really think it's perfect.

But there is always the side hang option if you can't find the red sea or azoo palm...... it just requires retro fitting a lid.......
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #10
.Mko.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oh man, your going to get the peacock moss going... =D
It is my favourite moss that i can't get in my area.. =(
I will be watching this very carefully lol and as for your plan i like it! i love the thought you put in to create the contrast in the tank.. this is going to be a good one.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
elliebellie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks like a sweet idea! Betta love all the way! <3
Old 03-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys! I had my exam last night (literally the hardest test I have taken in my life) and am VERY glad it's over.

Now I can take a trip over to walmart and start getting supplies. I'll see if they have either the Azoo or Red Sea but I'm quite doubtful. Also, for a cap on the dirt I'm going to try to find some black sand or fine black gravel. I think the dark color would look great if I can find it. If not I'm not too concerned about it (although I hope I have enough gravel left over from my 10g).

I'll post pictures of the setup and perhaps make a video. It will probably be quite comedic because I have never set up a dirted tank before and will probably cover my entire dorm room with dirt. My roommate will love this...
Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

so your using mineralized top soil
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

I don't know if it counts as MTS. I've got Miracle Grow Potting Mix.

Today is setup day! woot woot!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastudent View Post
i don't know if it counts as mts. I've got miracle grow potting mix.

Today is setup day! Woot woot!

sweeeeeeeeettttttttt
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5 gallon, betta, marsilea quadrifolia, peacock moss, red tiger lotus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.