55g DIRTED 10/2/12!!! pics added 02/26/13!!! - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #76
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Love the wood, can't wait to see it all planted up.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #77
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

OK TPT People,

Here are some pics of the dirted 55g about 2 weeks after planting! SORRY that took so long! The day after planting the tank I had to go play Cowboy for a week+, as my parents went on vacation, so I had to go watch after the Farm. Their cpu was on its death bed, so no internet for me! Then I get home to my CPU having problems, so I am just now able to update!

ANYWAY, the tank is coming along GREAT! most of the plants are growing very well! The crypts are putting out a few new leaves a week, the Apo. Longi. has also put out 5 new leaves. The Star grass is growing well, along with the Limno! The Porto Velho is growing, but it is slow, MUCH SLOWER than I would have thought! And the Hydro gardneri is growing beautifully! I really like it too!

So far it is just snails: Ramshorn, Pond, and MTS, and a few Ghost Shrimp living it the tank! Ammonia and Nitrites have been undetectable, but I am getting the normal gas bubbles from the dirt, so I am holding off on adding the fish for a few more weeks! The only algae is a tiny bit of green string algae that was on some of the old plants, and a bit of Green dust algae on the right hand stump and tank glass! I have excelled the string algae and it seems to be dieing, and all of the snails are keeping the dust algae on the wood and plants down to a minimum!

Last news of the post is that 1 BABY Albino Cory Cat hatched from her egg laying before the dirting of the tank, and is doing GREAT in the 20g the fish are being held in!!! It is about 1.5cm in length and is cute as a button! I have some pics, but the batteries in that camera are dead, so I will post them tomorrow!

ON TO THE PICS!

Well the heater on the back glass is temporary, as the regular eater that is in the 55g is being used in the 20g. I also have yet to setup the PVC lines for the 2 fluval 205s yet, since I have been at the farm!

Let me know what Ya think, good or otherwise, PLEASE!
Drew

p.s. the lights were out about 1 hr before I took the pics, and that is why some of the plants are simi closed up! Also I knoticed that the center branch got knocked over, and I just now saw it! So it is pressing down on the bacopa, but I will fix it ASAP!

Thanks Again!

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 10-31-2012 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: added ps
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #78
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

looking real good, the black background gives a nice feel
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #79
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Andrew!

It is just Black Spray paint. I usually do all my tanks that way, however after reading Hoppy's post about how the paint affects the reflection of light, I will try something else next time!

The water is still stained brown from the wood and the dirt as well! Going to do a water change tomorrow or next day. I will hook up the old Fluval 204 to the tank filled with carbon and I might get some Bio-Chem Zorb, or one of the other absorbers to get the tank good and clear!

Thanks Again,
Drew
Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #80
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another thing I noticed in the pics is all of the tiny whitish specks all over the back. those are all POND SNAIL BABIES!!!!! Their is a big white/clear female that has been laying eggs everywhere, so I have TONS of baby snails! I just hope my MTS start producing babys like that!

BUT I am sure when I put the fish back in the Corys will take down the babys, then I might get a loach or 2 to help with the big pond snails. OR it would be cool IF I could find some Dwarf Puffers pretty soon!!! I bet they would get big quick with all if the snails they could eat!!! LOL

Drew
Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #81
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are some pics of the Baby Albino Cory Cat! Again the mother is a 6+ year old that I got from my friends LFS that has been closed for 5 years, and the father is a YOUNG guy from the only LFS left in Waco! She laid around 250 eggs, but I thought the 5 corys I added about a month before were way to small to be breeding age, but I guess I was WRONG!!! So I let the corys eat all the eggs up. Only 2 eggs were left and were on the bottom of a spray bar. So I pushed the 2 spraybars close together so no one could get to them. A few days later they were gone, so I figured they got eaten anyway. them a few weeks later when I was removing the old Flourite substrate to go dirted I was a tiny speck of white fly across the tank while I was catching the other fish! Well it turns out 1 of the eggs hatched and survived!

So here it is about 5 weeks after the eggs were laid!

I guess it is about 15-20mm in length. The gravel that in on the bottom of the very old 20g is mixed Flourite and 2-4mm blasting media. So you can kind of gage from that!

I am going to be getting my QT tank ready for more eggs as soon as I move the Golden Pencil fish out of it and into the 55g! The QT is run with a undergravel filter with the 2-4mm blasting media ( small smooth gravel) and has tons of Java ferns, hornwort, subwassertang, and javamoss, so the eggs should be able to hatch and grow to baby corys with out a problem!

NOW IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW I GOT THEM TO SPAWN THE FIRST TIME!!!
Drew
Old 10-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #82
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

oh how cute!

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #83
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was looking over the plant growth, and i noticed a few "things" on a few crypt stems and a couple on the drift wood. It looks like Apistasia anemones in saltwater tanks! There is one on the top of the big stump, so I took my 10" tweezers and touched it and it retracted like a Apistasia too!!!

So what do I have growing in my tank??? I can only see 3 or 4 throughout the whole tank, but I didn't see them yesterday, and I bet there is or will be more soon! I don't have any fish in the tank yet, just snails and a few Ghost Shrimp, so I am up for treating them how ever!

Thanks for ANY HELP yall can give me!!!
Drew
Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #84
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well after posting a question in the invert section, I have learned I have HYDRA!!!!

I don't see very many, but my tank is full of pond snails, and they are supposed to eat them. But obviously they hadn't eaten them all, because I can see around 8 of them different places in my tank!

So my wife is a Vet Tec, so I have a call into her to see IF they carry Panacur-C which is supposed to kill them very well! If not I will order it from the web, and get it that way!

What I DON'T UNDERSTAND is WHERE I GOT THEM FROM!!!!!!

I have the same plants in a few different tanks, and they are no where to be found! So I am wondering if they came from the Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil??????

I bought some plants from Crispino Labayen Ramos back in September, but they what I didn't use in the 55g is still in my 40B, and I see none in there, so I don't figure they came from him! I haven't feed the tank at all because there are NO FISH! NOTHING from any other source than my old 55g, Plants from Cris, and Black Diamond , and MGOPS!!!

Any thoughts????

Thanks for the help!!!
Drew
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #85
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I remembered 1 thing I added to the 55g that I didn't add to any other tank, and that was some Malaysian Trumpet Snails!

So I BET that is where I got them, because the Hydra showed up a few days after adding them!

My Wife checked at her work and they don't use the Panacur-C, but one of the ladies she works with has some liquid Panacur, but it does not have the "C". So I am going to check that out to see if it the same stuff, and if not I will order the Panacur-C! I am also going to get 4 Honey Gouramies to see if they will help out as well. I have always wanted some anyways, so it is a win-win!

I will try to get some pics of the little devils just so I can keep my journal up to date with the good and bad that goes along with a planted tank!

I don't know if you can prevent getting the Hydra when it comes to live animals! I have see things recommended to use on plants, but not so much on animals themselves other than Quarantining them, but I don't know if that would help with something like this? I am unsure if the Panacur-C will kill the snails along with the Hydra> I guess I will find out!

Thanks for checking up on the journal!
Drew
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #86
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well here are some pics from today 11-15-12. The Panacur-C is on order and should be here within the next few days! I am going to wait to add the rest of the fish till after I treat the tank with Panacur-C to see if that gets rid of the Hyrda, and to make sure it doesn't kill off the good bacteria and cause the tank to cycle! I have more Malaysian Trumpet Snails coming and I will wait to add them too! I don't want to kill them off!!! The Honey Gouramies haven't touched the hydra yet, but there were TONS of the little white crustaceans (copods or whatever they are called) in the tank since there were no fish in it after dirting, so the Honeys have been going NUTZ searching them out and FEASTING on them! They will barely take regular fish food, as they are STUFFED from the tiny critters! But they are finding less and less of them to eat, so they are taking the New Life Spectrum tiny pellets more and more every day! I have noticed 1 of the Gouramies has some stringy white poo, so I am going to order some Seachem meds to get rid of it.

But if someone knows FOR SURE that the Panacur-C won't harm the snails PLEASE let me know!

I haven't trimmed any of the plants since the dirting, but I will need to trim some of them, as they are growing along the top of the water and out of it too!

Other than that the Dirting has gone well! I still poke around in the substrate to release any gasses that have built up, but the gasses NEVER have any smell to them, so it might just be Co2! There tends to be more gas buildup around sticks that are in the dirt, because I will bump into them with the bamboo skewer I use to poke around with. Again there is never any rotten egg smell, so I am not worried!

Anyway here are the pics!

Full tank shot

Closer in!

Left Side

Right side

Staurogyne sp. Porto Velho

Hydrothrix gardneri and Pogostemon stellatus " Broad Leaf" growing allong and threw the surface!

Apono. longiplumulosus, Crypt wendtii "Mi Oya" Growing in GREAT and the Mi Oya's new leaves are dark brown/bronze in color, and are very wavy to seersucker-rippled in shape!

Here is a shot of one of the Honey Gouramies. Also the unknown Sword is getting BIG FAST as well the Heteranthera zosterfolia (star grass) is filling in nice too! I wasn't sure about the star grass, but it has surprised me in it's beauty!

A little bit better shot of the Honey!

Well that is it for today! I still need to redo the plumbing, but I can't decide how I really want to! I am also going to try out a Rexx Grigg reactor to see if it works any better than the Cerges type I am using now.

I am having to still add dry ferts to keep all of the plants happy, but I am unsure if all of their roots have reached the dirt yet, because in some spots the sand is a bit to deep I think! I haven't had much algae yet other than a bit of string algae that was on the Bacopa and Mint Charlie ( IIRC) that was in the 55g before! There was a bit of green dust algae in the beginning on top of the big stump an the right, but the snails have done away with most of that! I will post a few pics after I do some trimming this weekend! So stay tuned!

Thanks for looking, and let me know what Yall think, PLEASE!!!
Drew

Also Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #87
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I am going to try my best to get the 55g replumbed this weekend, and I was wanting some input!

I am planning to use spraybars for the outputs of the 2 Fluval 205s I have on the tank! Only 1 of the 205s will have the Co2 reactor hooked up to it, and I am unsure where I want the Co2 output placed in the tank!

I am planning on putting 1 output on the top right side where the flow will go the length of the tank at the top. Then the second spraybar will be placed at the bottom left about 1" above the substrate. Again flowing the length of the tank creating a circular flow. The intakes for the 205s will either be both at the left end as they are now, OR I will place 1 at each end.

I used this flow pattern before while having both intakes on the left end, and I did tend to get some build up of waste in the bottom right corner. That is why I am thinking of placing 1 intake at each end.

So I was thinking of putting the Co2 Output on the bottom left to get better distribution of Co2 throughout the tank! BUT with the additional head pressure created by having the spray bar at the bottom I my be restricting the flow of the Co2 rich water! ??? IF I put the Co2 output at the top right I know it will have better flow, but when I had it like that last time I saw BBA on the gravel and rocks that were at the bottom left of the tank! That got me to thinking the Co2 wasn't reaching the left bottom corner enough! BUT I did have the OLD FLOURITE then, and I REALLY THINK IT had the MOST INFLUENCE on the BBA! AS I had BBA on the gravel directly under the top right spraybar, and it had a tiny hole drilled into the bend of the elbow to spray Co2 rich water in the back right corner where there was little flow before I drilled the hole!

So what do Yall think? Co2 at the top right or Bottom Left, and intakes on 1 end or both?

I don't have a lot of extra cash right now, or I would try them both! So that is why I am asking for input from Yall!

The Spraybars will be either 1/2" or 3/4" PVC Painted Black with Krylon Fusion, and will be cut to fit between the front and back glass of the tank. So basically 12" long, and I can play with the output hole diameter to get the best flow vs. least restriction! The intakes will be the standard Fluval pipes, except hooked to PVC to eliminate the ribbed hoses from Fluval! I REALLY DISLIKE the ribbed hose Fluval uses! I know it is easy to work with, but by design it HAS to slow flow, and it is BAD about BUILDUP of junk inside the tubing in a short time!

So PLEASE let me know what Ya think about the placement/setup!

Thanks,
Drew
Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #88
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Hi Drew,

Put the bar with the CO2 injected in lower as planned above.
Being a closed loop system I don't believe the added head pressure is a concern having the return placed lower.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #89
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the help Racer!

I have found that the crypts are growing MUCH SHORTER in the dirt than they did in the old Flourite! They have pretty much lost all of their old tall leaves and the new leaves are only 2-3" in length! They are also putting out a BUNCH OF THEM! Like I said I am still dosing the tank with a light EI schedule, because when I didn't dose for a week I saw holes forming in the new crypt leaves as well as a few other plants, especially the stems!

So I am going to start slowly cutting back on the dry ferts one at a time to see which one they are needing most! I have tests kits for Phosphates, Iron and a few other odd ball ones other than the regular tests, but they are a few years old so I don't really trust them! So I will let the plants tell me!

I also think I have my sand a bit too deep! So seeing that the crypts are growing short, I am going to do some rescaping and move some of the plants around! I will see IF all of them are getting their roots into the soil and also find out FIRST HAND on how bad it is to replant in a dirted tank!!! The plants haven't been in their too long, so I don't think/I am hoping that the roots aren't into the soil very far! But I will soon find out!!! LOL IF I find the roots haven't found their way to the soil I might just siphon some of the sand out when doing a water change and re-level it! I know at a few places I measured at it was 1-1.25" deep, but I also sloped it a little from the back to front, so it might be too deep at the back! And I would rather change it now when the growth is minimal and shouldn't disturb the soil, then waiting to see IF I have a problem a few months down the road and wind up pulling a ton of soil up!!!

I KNOW I will not use as much soil or sand in the 40B when it is setup! I will follow Wkndracers instructions to the "T"!

Anyway Thanks again Racer, and let me know what Yall think! Good or Bad! I can Hack it!!!
Drew

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 11-18-2012 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: added more info!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #90
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

OUCH!!!

just typed a 1/2 page reply and the friggin website ate it~!
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote