55g DIRTED -needs teardown!-opinions wanted!!!- - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #31
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

wow! sorry for the problems.
typing one handed so the heck with the shift key for caps lol.
stirring up the substrate has caused this to happen here and i use uv to kill it.
do you have any excel?
i don't want to say throw h2o2 at it because of not knowing your fish list.
used h2o2 here for years and last night messed up and added >7ml to a freshly cleaned tank (spill) that killed 3 fat otto.
dosing excel or a complete blackout for 72hrs. should knock it out.

need to keep up with the ferts for the plants though, running the tank lean won't stop algae.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #32
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Well for fish I have:

5 Small Angels: 2 half dollar size,3 quarter size

1 otto

2 Amano Shrimp

and that is it!

I do have 3/4 of the 16oz size bottle of Excel too!

If I go the black out route do I need to cover the tank, as it sits between 2 front windows. BUT it only gets a little bit of "direct light" for about 30 minutes in the AM. When I say direct light I mean threw the blinds, and not directly on the tank, but it stays pretty bright for the first half of the day. The windows are mostly blocked from the front porch and the direction the house sits.

Also if I do the blackout I SHOULD NOT add any ferts or CO2 correct?

Thanks for the help!!!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #33
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Blackout is total darkness or it won't work.
helping a friend i took a picture of the tank wrapped

wrapped the sides first and pulled the plastic under as possible taping it to the bottom. then wrapped the top and sides don't worry as you won't seal it air tight.

what we did on granny's tank was clean the hob filter, trim the worst of the bba off the plants and did a water change. wrapped the tank on Monday night and removed the plastic Friday morning. no peaking! fish were hungry but all did fine making it through the long night.

granny had neglected the tank for about 6 weeks, badly overgrown, bga on the gravel, bba on the plants, thread or hair algae too. tank even smelled bad. she didn't want to use chemicals and nowhere to put the fish to break the tank down.
a month later it looked really clear and the plants were filling back in. her son does water changes for her now every 2 weeks and the tank is back to low tech easy and stable. her trigger was neglect but i think stirring up the gravel caused the green water in you're tank.

start the blackout with clean water. vacuum the tank afterwards then dose the ferts and turn the gas back on.

hth
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
Old 09-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #34
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

AWESOME INFO Racer!!!

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

I believe I have the Thread Algae under control, or at least it is A LOT better!!! Unfortunately I lost all or most of all the awesome mosses I got in the SnS last month! I have a few strands of Christmas and Flame that didn't get engulfed by the thread algae. The Glosso I got a while back as a few strands in a clippings pkg I got from Hearns is doing well! It is spreading all over the foreground, and I have been able to pull the thread algae out of it when I see it starting to grow, so i know the glosso is rooting very well!!!

So I am going to feed the Angels god in the morning when the lights come on, and drop in a piece of a algae wafer for the otto and Amanos and then cover it up!

So I need to keep it covered up for at least 72hrs, correct?

And should I run the air pump I am running at night now the whole time the tank is covered?

Again THANK YOU for the HELP!!!
Drew
Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #35
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

at least 72hrs and run the air pump

make sure it's completely covered blackout must be zero light getting in
Old 09-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #36
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

THANKS RACER!!!

I am going to start the Black out in the morning! I got some black garbage bags, have fed the fish good for the last few days, and I am going to replace the filter floss in both canisters in the morning before I wrap the tank!

IF after the 72hrs is up and the water is still green/cloudy, will I continue it for a few days longer? Also I was thinking of making a flap that I can drop some food into the Angels, and keep it taped besides when I drop a few pellets in. The slit would be between the glass lids where the used to be siliconed together. What do you think?

AGAIN THANK YOU for all the help!
Drew
Old 09-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #37
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

fish will be fine without food so don't cheat.
should be a lot of dust in the tank but no green water when you unwrap it.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #38
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK going to wrap in a few minutes!

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #39
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, the Tank is wrapped! So I will be chomping at the bit to see it in 3 days! I feed the fish heavy for a few days, so HOPEFULLY they will be OK in 3 days time! Also HOPEFULLY the Green water and string algae will be gone too!!! I have my HOT with a new pleated filter cartridge ready to throw on the 55 as soon as the 72 hours is up, and it should polish the water clean of any dead algae, and I will also have 30 fresh gallons of R/O ready to do a water change to get the rest of the junk out! I never took a pic, as it just looked like green pea soup! I could see in the tank about 1.5-2" and that was it! Again I have NEVER had this happen before, and I am Assuming it was caused by uprooting quite a few plants to trash them as the thread algae had just taken them over while I was out of town! I pulled all of my Rotala, quite a bit of Wistera, and Mint Charley, and most of my B. Japonica too!

I have NO root frets in the substrate, so I again I am Assuming it was all of the Iron dust that the Flourite had turned into! I GUESS???

Good news is my Lud., Crypts, and Aponogen, are doing great! I STILL have NOT been able to go look for drift wood in the lake, because my Boat registration is out, and I don't have the $ to spare to renew it at this time, so my hopes of finding some AWESOME drift wood are on hold!!!

I will post some pics in 3 days to let Yall see how it helped!

Thanks Again,
Drew
Old 10-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #40
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the tank Black Out/ wrap up WORKED like a CHARM!!!

I would up leaving the tank wrapped up for a total of 4 days/96hrs. I was only intending to go the 3 days/72hrs Racer told me to, but I had a Killer Migraine on the 3rd day, and took my meds and went to bed, and didn't awake till the next afternoon!

So on the 4th evening I unwrapped the tank, and put on of my old 55w PC lights on it as I had it handy, and WOW the tank water was CRYSTAL CLEAR!!!! I mean it was clear a Gin!!!

So I feed the fish, and they were acting like they were starving, and started to check out my plants. After looking the plants over 90% of them look good! The Glosso is doing OK but has a few leaves that have turned yellow to tan in color, and has also stretched out trying to find light. The Apono leaves are a little yellow on the tips and edges about half way down on each leaf, but that is about it!!!!

The GREEN WATER ALONG WITH ANY STRING ALGAE IS GONE!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH Wkndracer!!!!!

I couldn't have gotten threw it without You!!! I owe Ya one, Buddy!!!

I will get pics tomorrow before and after a water change!

Again Thanks Racer!!!
Drew
Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #41
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

who me?
it's the little things that help and you're very welcome
Lots of folks here have posted that 3 day blackouts do nothing but waste 3 days.
glad to read it helped and you finally fed those poor staving fish LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #42
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

LOL I came back looking for the update
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #43
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Yeah, where's the updates?

Wkndracer is always a huge help
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #44
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry Guys!!!

I will get the update up in the morning! I have had a migraine most of the week, and also we have been getting ready for my Sons Birthday Camp out for this weekend too! So NO TIME and now NO MONEY LEFT!!! HE is bringing 10 friends + My wife and I to a Family type of Camp, and when Ya have 11 kids 17 years old and Older to feed it takes A LOT OF FOOD!

SO My Brother-in-Law is staying at the house to care for the dogs, fish and everything else, so we will be feeding him too!

SO I am doing a Water Change in the morning, so I will get the pics then!

The BLACKOUT REALLY WORKED VERY WELL!!!!!!

It has been close to a week now since I uncovered the tank, and there is STILL NO Algae! Except the normal buildup on the glass! NO THREAD Algae or GREEN WATER!!! Most of the plants have now over come the darkness too. the Glosso is a little tall in places, but they will be trimmed tomorrow. Also the reds have colored back up in the Lud and Sunset Hygro. The crypts are doing great, and new leaves are popping up quickly! I NEED to get some Substrate Ferts ASAP!!! I am unsure weather I will order the capsule type or just get some Jobes Fern spikes? The spikes will be cheaper I am sure, and right now that is a HUGE PLUS! BUT it will have to wait till Monday, as the rest of my week and weekend are VERY FULL!

Again THANKYOU Racer for all the help, and the rest of Yall for checking out my Journal! I am Sorry for the lack of pics!!!

Take Care,
Drew
Old 10-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #45
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

SORRY GUYS I didn't get the water change done today, and I am actually going to do it around 4am when I get enough R/O water to change 1/3 of tank volume! I got most of what I was planning to do this morning, but before I could start on the water change I sat in the recliner and fell asleep!LOL Then when I awoke this afternoon it was time to start cooking for the trip, so I couldn't do the water change and pics!

SO HOPEFULLY the water will be settled down by the time the lights come on to get a few pics and post them! Well I will post pics either way since I have been saying I would for the last few days!!! So around 10am I will have pics up!

Again Sorry!
Drew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.