San Antonio - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Texas

Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #31
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebox View Post
Psionic, I just wanted to let you know that I'm into keeping discus fish also. Right now I have an 125GA, 55GA, 20GA(set up for breeding), and empty 40GA breeder tank. I have an total of 30 discus on hand, ranging from 2.5" to 5.5". Also have an 5-stage plus ro/di unit rom BRS. Anytime want to discuss info about discus, can email me at:rolewilson63@gmail.com Pictures of tanks: http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/...iscus%20Tanks/
Take care,
farebox
I always feel like a total nub compared to other people's discus setups. My discus are hitting the 3 inch mark. When I got them, they were around 1.5-2 inches or so. I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I don't have tons of space for something big. My tank is on the floor of my living room, along the wall. I don't have an RO/DI unit. I use tap water for them. For a while I was doing co2 injection to help the ph out and for the plants in it. I slowly stopped using it and they're doing fine. I heard everything being stable is better than tweaking it. My husband wants to install an RO/DI system here. I don't even know if we can, but we are going to look into it this week since he's in town until Sunday.

So somehow I have 6 juvie discus growing out on my living room floor in San Antonio tap water. I'm such a loser lol.
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #32
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Yeah, but even the giantest, mightiest, most platelike and supreme of all discus folks started as noobs! Just enjoy the feesh and you'll be a pro in no time.
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #33
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Hi San Antonio people! i'm also in San Antonio (78232). I just got started here, i know fish need food and water to survive. So I'd love to see a group get started here.

I don't really have much to trade but i have gold gourami i think i need to get rid of.
Aquatic Delight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #34
mr_bob
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

i got a bunch of sunburst platies and pygmy chain sword if anyone wants some
mr_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #35
sampster5000
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
Hi San Antonio people! i'm also in San Antonio (78232). I just got started here, i know fish need food and water to survive. So I'd love to see a group get started here.

I don't really have much to trade but i have gold gourami i think i need to get rid of.

Always glad to see more SA people Hopefully we can get something going soon.
Raok Club #43

20 Gallon Shrimp

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #36
rbpwrd240
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I am in for a club!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #37
sampster5000
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm tryin! Having a hard time getting people interested in meets.
Raok Club #43

20 Gallon Shrimp

Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #38
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

I think a tough part is that Texas is pretty big, some of us are carless students (Well, I HAD one until someone in a Tacoma decided that pulling into the left lane at full speed without looking was a totes awesome idea) and folks are on very varying schedules. But at least we have forums!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #39
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Went to the san Antonio zoo today. I'm not from this city though. The aquarium section was a bit of a downer, but in the African exhibit, i was impressed at some of hundreds of peacock cichlids swimming in the hippo tank, and they also had some beautiful frontosas, Texas cichlids and koi. I didn't realize texas cichlids got as big as the ones I saw today.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #40
allegoriest
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to allegoriest

Well, as for a club, I'm just kinda antisocial. And my sister has pretty much stolen my car.

Do you know if they had any of the blind salamanders at the zoo? Someone I know wants to see them. (And I'm getting kinda AHH over people always asking to see my salamander because they've never seen one and want to.)

They've never had a very large fishie area. I haven't seen the whole Africa part, I went in while they were building, but I think the fishies were there the last time I saw it. (I used to have an apartment overlooking the zoo, and I could see the Africa part really well, and yet, I almost never went. The elephant creeps me out.)

Some of the areas at the zoo also have fishies that they didn't put there, some mosquito fish that seemed to be under all the walkways over water, and for a while I remember a plecostomus rush in the river that fed in. (Yeah, I'm one of those people who goes to the zoo and looks at all the filthy riverwater instead. :/ )

Now, I don't trust the fresh fishie part of the aquarium in Corpus. The Amazon exhibit had koi angels. That's just not right.
allegoriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #41
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I didnt see any blind salamanders, but we kind of brezed through the amphibian exhibit. The koi they had were enormous. I did not know they got that big. Same with the texas cichlids. All the photo and video footage I've seen of them were the size of convict cichlids or so. These things they had were well over a foot and fat as can be. They had a lot of arowanas as well but their fins were tattered. The discus looked pretty pitiful as well, with dirty murky water.

So far the most impressive aquariums I've been to would probably be the aquarium in downtown Houston, or maybe moody gardens in galveston (both focus primarily saltwater/faux-reef type tanks). I haven't ventured out of Texas for public aquariums though.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #42
sampster5000
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually volunteer at the SA zoo. I was also very disappointed to see how they pay no attention to their fish. They do nothing to do africa live area. They dont even feed them. They let them feed off of the hippos poop and food. The arowanas always fight. They've taken out half of them. The fish are all huge as they overfeed like mad and are in huge tanks.

I think the only impressive tank to me is the reef tank.

I'd love to check out the houston aquariums. I gotta do that soon!
Raok Club #43

20 Gallon Shrimp

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #43
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

I liked the aquariums at Sea World. Those seem tended to. I haven't gotten down to the SA zoo. It's a bit sad that they treat them that way. :/
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

My friends and I usually only go to Houston for raves. Last time we went I said we needed to do something else. We went to one of the aquariums. All I remember is petting sting rays and the outdoor carnival area. Just cause I got my face painted.

-Val
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #45
ADAtank
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

PM me whenever we get something going
ADAtank is offline   Reply With Quote